Author Topic: Recurring experience cap?  (Read 2144 times)

Hlot

• Undead Slayer
Recurring experience cap?
« on: June 23, 2014, 07:16:26 AM »
I have been trying to get rid of xp cap on one of my toons. It's now level 5, recently was level 6 few days ago, without any cap, but after single death and forced resurrection it was dropped back to level 4. I did single dungeon to get exp back and after that it caught blind drive. Managed to climb back to level 5 just by RPXP, and decided to just sit in ML temple talking to people and occasionally picking some shrooms from nearby forest. Got completely 0 exp points other than from RP and basically exp cap was still there for few days straight.

Today I logged and saw that it's gone, so I went with some level 2/3 people party to Crypts to help them cleaning main chamber, as they had problems. After killing dozen of undeads in middle hall just to get their bodies back for resurrection I went back upstairs and found out that exp cap is back there again. The whole fight didn't even last 5 minutes. The exp message didn't change a bit and it's still about just having leveled.

Am I doing something wrong?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 07:46:38 AM by Hlot »

xXCrystal_Rose

• Outlander
Re: Recurring experience cap?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 02:01:20 PM »
It can rise really fast sometimes. I hadn't played for a week and a half and was at normal xp gain rate, then in a day of very light activity (occasional worg killing while gathering herbs) it went all the way to blind drive while still being early into the level. You don't seem to be doing anything wrong.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 02:23:35 PM »
If you go out and attack the XP gain as soon as the cap wears off, it's going to come right back.  It's loosely based around some kind of system in which it is determined about how fast you should be progressing through levels to be at an "average" pace.  I don't know the specifics or numbers, but that's why doing little to nothing for long periods of time puts you in bonus XP, and doing too much puts you in XP slowdown. 

Really, the best piece of advice I can give you is to start up RP endeavors on your PCs.  Join a faction, create a business, form a support group, establish a spy network, take up some crafts, or get involved in politics.  I've always found a successful (or even unsuccessful) RP endeavor to be much more rewarding than any "level up" I've had, anyways.  If you busy yourself with non-dungeon things for your PC to do, you'll have fun with other players, it helps to build your characters in a meaningful way, and you will find that the time it takes to come off the XP cap passes much quicker.

Geiger

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2014, 02:41:13 PM »
If you go out and attack the XP gain as soon as the cap wears off, it's going to come right back.  It's loosely based around some kind of system in which it is determined about how fast you should be progressing through levels to be at an "average" pace.  I don't know the specifics or numbers, but that's why doing little to nothing for long periods of time puts you in bonus XP, and doing too much puts you in XP slowdown. 

Really, the best piece of advice I can give you is to start up RP endeavors on your PCs.  Join a faction, create a business, form a support group, establish a spy network, take up some crafts, or get involved in politics.  I've always found a successful (or even unsuccessful) RP endeavor to be much more rewarding than any "level up" I've had, anyways.  If you busy yourself with non-dungeon things for your PC to do, you'll have fun with other players, it helps to build your characters in a meaningful way, and you will find that the time it takes to come off the XP cap passes much quicker.

I endorse this message.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 03:04:01 PM »

I endorse this message.

+1. During NCW, i leveled up throguh rp to the exact same level as someone power grinding who was stuck in blind drive, and i never once level capped.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2014, 03:26:10 PM »
Also, it's worth noting that the XP you gain through RP does NOT count toward your XP cap from dungeons.  If you're on Blind Drive, you can gain all the RP XP you want and still come off the cap at a normal rate.  (Though note that DM XP DOES count as dungeon XP for the cap.)

As for leveling speed, it definitely IS faster to hit dungeons rather than pure RP, no doubt about that.  It's possible to be level 4 about 30 minutes after creating your PC.  Thing is, as people saw in NCW, that the time it takes for you to come back off that cap (Around a full week, sometimes), is enough for people who took a more restrained Dungeon/RP mixed path to catch up to you.  Hence, the whole "Average level speed" thing I mentioned earlier.  There is really no right or wrong way to level.  Just find something that works for you.   I know that I personally like to get a good team together and spend a full day hardcore XP grinding to get to an extreme cap, then I can just forget about dungeons for a week or two entirely and focus on RP while the cap goes away.  Other people like to mix in a single dungeon once every few days, and that's what works for them.

All in all, the people who level quickly are the ones who either grind all the time, or mix grinding and RP.  The people who tend to level more slowly are the ones who go on RP XP entirely, which is why you end up with the "Longing for adventure" rest message.  Even if you only do one dungeon a week, you're still getting a big leg up on people who never, ever set foot in a dungeon or DM event because those "RP XP" ticks are about 5xp each.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »
I'm not overly sure how the cap works myself, but between rp and dungeoning I got my baby monk to lvl 9 in about a week and a half, with only the slow down as my cap.

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 10:20:21 PM »
Don't try to avoid the cap, that's impossible. Instead, try to realize the truth-

There is no  cap.
Tobias Loarca | Braern Delsaryn | Anwar