You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Pistol System Tweaks  (Read 12232 times)

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
Re: Pistol System Tweaks
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2014, 05:24:27 PM »
The more gun, the more fun.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2014, 07:21:34 PM »
What we really need for "rare drops" is the gun weapons; Common weapons such as axes, swords, and polearms with built in or attachable pistol/musket shot mechanism.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Chronox

• Undead Master
  • "I Hate Qwerty" Club Vice-President
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2014, 07:48:51 PM »
What we really need for "rare drops" is the gun weapons; Common weapons such as axes, swords, and polearms with built in or attachable pistol/musket shot mechanism.

I've half a mind to learn how to work with the module's guns just so I can design a blunderbuss boarding axe.
Spoiler: show

The Dwarves will never use anything else.
I Play:

Ceryn
Arryn Moorlight

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »

I've half a mind to learn how to work with the module's guns just so I can design a blunderbuss boarding axe.
Spoiler: show

The Dwarves will never use anything else.

I cant seem to find it but, I did discover a halberd with a musket attached to the side [so to speak]. basically it turns out attaching a gun to a melee weapon wasn't as unheard of as modern media makes it out to be.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

TAP123

• Outlander
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2014, 09:03:38 PM »
I remember having this replica of a Spanish boarding short/broadsword with a small flintlock barrel and hammer on the side, with the trigger being a part of the hand guard. The blade was grooved a bit to allow room for the ball from the barrel to shoot out... Couldn't use it in actual combat of course it would break apart 'cause replica, but those things do exist. It's pretty crazy :O

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2014, 10:48:25 PM »
Early British riflemen around the end of the 1700s into the Napoleonic era would actually follow the command "fix swords!" They'd attach a sword bayonet to their rifles, (there was a small slot for it with a protruding button sort of thing on the handle of the sword) which were shorter than the standard musket of the time. The extra length of the sword bayonet was supposed to give them a weapon of equal length when compared to musketmen with the shorter, more common needle style bayonet.

What was cool about it was that it literally had a handle and could be used as a shortsword when you didn't attach it to the rifle.

(common musket on bottom with standard bayonet. Note the difference in length)

There's been a ton of cool inventions when it comes to historic firearms, even hundreds of years ago. Would love to see some more variety in Ravenloft firearms.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 10:51:59 PM by Dumas »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »
I figured out how to craft Parthian rapiers and other weapons with guns in them. When I become a DM again, you'll probably see more of them around as loot players can receive at the end of one of my quests. If you guys want to see this sort of things as loot that drops within the tables though, I'd recommend letting the developers know.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:34:14 PM by Vengeance »

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2014, 11:17:51 PM »
And they still have it for some reason!

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

McNastea

• Dark Power
  • "We want to make all the rules" -Misakato
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2014, 01:24:09 AM »
I figured out how to craft Parthian rapiers and other weapons with guns in them. When I become a DM again, you'll probably see more of them around as loot players can receive at the end of one of my quests. If you guys want to see this sort of things as loot that drops within the tables though, I'd recommend letting the developers know.

-Rapiers-.. with -guns- on them?..

You have my complete, undivided, attention ;)
Eilithar Cael'aera | Eowaril | Rowan Tallstag | Tobias Loarca | Kiiren Josivir

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2014, 03:38:16 AM »
I have... lol

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2014, 10:04:55 AM »
lol you all do realize the terible inacuracy gun swords have right? lol... I mean better to stab and shoot them...than be able to point and shoot than stab.

Monica O'Sullivan: Master explorer
Tsubaki Yamamoto: Shadow Thief
Roesor Cryso: A slave for the Masters.
Sokol: An Unlikely Hero

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 10:06:28 AM »
I considered adding the Parthian Rapier but the "shooting" animation looked bad so I decided not to.

Badelaire

« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 11:22:25 AM »
Parthian rapiers would look something like below. They wouldn't be terribly effective compared to just using a purpose-built pistol:

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2014, 11:53:07 AM »
Never said they wouldn't be cool.. LOL my realistic logic kicked in and thought efficentcy.... and by the looks of them vastly ment for I stab you... and now i shoot you while i stab you.

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2014, 02:51:53 PM »
Realistically, I imagine they'd break after a couple shots, haha. But still cool

Syl

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2014, 02:59:45 PM »
Also wouldn't shoot very far since they are smaller and thous can only shot so hard... MAYBE enough to punch a hole in plate but with pistols and muskets being made i'm sure the guards in port have the reinforeced chest piece that helps avoid being shot. lol

But the idea is very cool.

MadJKevlar

• Undead Master
  • Ah! the generals! (is AKA WhenWolvesHoundThePrey)
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2014, 03:47:03 PM »
Some cool looking weapons up there, I think the whole reason the bayonet exists despite it being quite unconventional is simply down to the dream of it replacing all pikes pole arms and lances even as far as all melee weapons. The original aim was standardizing everything down to a single all purpose weapon. The reality is though once we learnt we could just shoot each other from yards meters and even miles away a melee attachment serves only for when your ammo is gone or the enemy is to close to be reloading. I had a video of the modern  British army in bayonet training, and literately there is no skill or finesse involved, if the enemy is that close they are taught to just stab the crap out of it repeatedly manically psychotically while yelling at the top of your voice.... they even put blood bags filled with pigs blood into the dummy to create authentic spatter.

Parthian rapiers would look something like below. They wouldn't be terribly effective compared to just using a purpose-built pistol:

These kinds of weapons always strike me as novelty, evil weapons likely used by some rich person to stab and then shoot some one just for the laughs and kicks, a bit like multi barreled flint locks, quite unconventional but some rich twat had the money to insist one was made so he could impress his mates.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 03:52:07 PM by MadJKevlar »

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2014, 06:23:52 PM »
You're pretty much correct, MadJKevlar, at least where the Core is concerned. The weapons are more like a rich man's toy than a weapon actually meant to be used in combat.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:04:36 PM by Vengeance »