You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Connection failed, try another Nick  (Read 4285 times)

Krosk

• Undead Slayer
Connection failed, try another Nick
« on: June 22, 2014, 12:16:04 AM »
Lately I've been getting the error as stated in the title "Connection failed, try another Nick." It doesn't seem to prevent my logging in to PotM, or any other server, but it also doesn't let me access the chat. It's persisted for about a month now, and I'm not quite sure what's caused it. Anyone had this before, know how to solve it? It's growing somewhat vexing.
Currently playing: Pietro Guerra, Borcan apothecary

Gilad Abrams

• Undead Master
Re: Connection failed, try another Nick
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »
Idk what causes it but it happened to me too and I haven't been able to fix it either

Krosk

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 01:56:12 AM »
The weirdest part is that it's never happened before, and I don't recall anything changing that might make it start. Best I can guess is it's just NWN being a tempermental 10 year old game.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2014, 03:36:58 AM »
It is a very old issue with GameSpy. What it is, is GameSpy being picky with either your connection or your login so it doesn't connect you to IT. But, if you have servers in your history, or favorites, you can connect to those usually with out fuss, just not Gamespy. This was far more prevent an issue back when the Master Server was up, because it would prevent you from searching the server lists, chats, or any activity such as that. Now and again, it is still an issue because GameSpy is running as always, regardless of the masterserver. So now and again, it will give you the "try another nick" message. You can fix it by logging out and reconnecting. But, since we no longer have server lists, it really doesn't matter. You can still connect to POTM or whatever other server you like in your favorites/history without hassle.

Does this make sense?
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Krosk

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2014, 04:36:08 AM »
Normally yes, but it persists even when I log out of both the multiplayer, and the game completely. Not sure what to do about it. Only reason I care was when the server reset today I couldn't really chat with the few guys I was preparing a party with in the multiplayer chat lobby to help organize it. As I said, minor vexation, but ultimately not a deal breaker. Would be nice to fix it though.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 02:12:44 PM »
Actually it's because GameSpy has been shut down permanently but the game still tries to connect to it. Nothing that can be done about it.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

IDreamofDaleks

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 02:18:57 PM »
Actually it's because GameSpy has been shut down permanently but the game still tries to connect to it. Nothing that can be done about it.

I assumed this was it. Does this mean that the chat feature in game is now permanently defunct? Because while this issue arises there's no way to connect to it.
If so, does that mean the game itself is going to [eventually] be inaccessible as well?  if yes, I know an alternative way to access NWN through a different client but we'd all need to download it.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 03:20:12 PM »

I assumed this was it. Does this mean that the chat feature in game is now permanently defunct? Because while this issue arises there's no way to connect to it.
Yes, the chat no longer works because Gamespy has been permanently shut down.

If so, does that mean the game itself is going to [eventually] be inaccessible as well?  if yes, I know an alternative way to access NWN through a different client but we'd all need to download it.
No, you can still play multiplayer if you direct connect to an IP or click on a server in your history tab.

Maleficar

• New to the Mists
  • LANNISTER
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2014, 07:25:31 AM »
Perhaps people will finally use IRC instead of that abhorrent GameSpy chat client...

Arael

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »
The main trouble is the fact it takes about FIVE minutes to go to the next step (Server log-in) because of this lack of answer from the chat server.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2014, 11:44:28 AM »
The main trouble is the fact it takes about FIVE minutes to go to the next step (Server log-in) because of this lack of answer from the chat server.
Yeah it's annoying. I've heard you can alter your hosts file to speed it up, but I don't like altering my hosts file.

Whistlefoot

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2014, 07:37:13 PM »
Edit your host file, allows you to skip the authorizing player name and wait for failed nick login.

Located in "C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\Etc\hosts.msn" for Windows 7

# Copyright (c) 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.
#
# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
#
# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
# space.
#
# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
#
# For example:
#
#      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
#       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.
#   127.0.0.1       localhost
#   ::1             localhost

0.0.0.1 peerchat.gamespy.com
0.0.0.0 nwmaster.bioware.com
0.0.0.0 nwn.master.gamespy.com