You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: World's Enemy - Warden Leonar Arndon  (Read 2962 times)

Kebab Removal Unit

World's Enemy - Warden Leonar Arndon
« on: June 13, 2014, 05:20:17 PM »

"No man is without sin or flaw, but I am afraid that you have become blind to your own."

The words of the sentence uttered by Inquisitor Poisson would ring in both head and mind of the young Warden for a long, long time. What was it that led him astray? A heathen lover? A constant feeling of strain and overburden of tireless conduct of duty? His own foolish pride and arrogance? Or perhaps even all of these?

It did not matter. Responsibility and punishment were both his own burdens to carry. None were left to blame but himself.

Cast out like a common dog from the congregation to which he previously dedicated his service, Arndon would now find that which he probably needed the most - a well earned respite. Thoughts of concern for those he cared about, alongside ones of vengeance against those who had wronged him in the first place did not cease, but ultimately he found himself at the state of tranquility, far from political machinations of the Church, Barovian ungratefulness and tyranny.

The Warden was quick to pack up his belongings and depart to the suggested location of a calm Dementlieuse village - Edrigan.

Spoiler: show
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHBwS1frPak[/youtube]

Kebab Removal Unit

Re: World's Enemy - Warden Leonar Arndon
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 05:56:58 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq_6ObzUzog[/youtube]

Needless to say, Warden Arndon found the village of Edrigan to his suiting. The village had it's own fair share of dark, evil history - The Madrigores under the influence of fiend Drigor, corrupted Ezrite priests, Falkovnian raids...

Still, over the years, Edrigan would prevail and retain it's calm, peaceful nature, at least in the eyes of some. Edrigan consisted of a small Ezrite chapel as well, which would fulfill most of his current needs, except two - thrill of danger and the usual madness which he faced daily in Barovia and the warm embrace of the love of his life.

Young Leonar would find the adaptation to this drastic change more than difficult. For the better or worse, Port-a-Lucine proved of consisting many, many problems of it's own. Like a depressed drunkard who uses the alcohol to drench and wash away his pain and sorrow, Leonar would do the same - albeit conducting and using duty and faith as tools to craft a meaning for himself.

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:25:06 PM »

[In the possession of Leonar Arndon lies a worn-out black leather-bound journal. The first dozen pages consist of herbalism potion recipes including information on various ingredients and flora. Big majority of the journal pages are strangely completely blank, unused. The last filled page seems quite recently written and possesses some sort of report form. Upon the same page, are also present what appear to be water splotches.]

12/06/769 BC

It seems that Langlais's horrific story now seems all too real all of the sudden. A mind-controlling fishmen monster cult, pledging worship to some manner of sea beast, posing as a humanitarian organization "Society of Helping Hands" inside of Port-a-Lucine. Allegedly, their tactics consist of getting closer and eventually achieving the backup of local gentry, thus potentially and given time - taking over the entire populace. Not as crazy as it sounds, surely. During my battle with one of the "fishmen", it invoked an arcane magic of more than remarkable power, including mind controlling spells which it attempted to use on both Franz and myself.

It appears that they reproduce by impregnating human species. It also seems that the unfortunate women who undergo such gruesome fate, die while giving birth to the progenies of doom. Ezra grant me resolve and strength, for I will need plenty soon.

-Attend the bookstore book signing and meet Marquis LeMarc.
-Wear armor more frequently.
-Acquire more herbalism equipment and ingredients.

I miss her.

Leonar  Arndon

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 05:30:13 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWD4c2RsdMY[/youtube]

As the village of Edrigan basked in the final sunlight for the day, the Warden retreated into the humble tavern "Le Chaudron-de-Feu" under the veil of the approaching night.

The events of the previous morning left him with a feeling of slight contentment, knowing he was not forgotten by those who he had trained and some of the accomplices from his past congregation.  Seated by the fireplace with the worn out black journal in his lap and an inkwell on the wooden table by his side, he began putting his thoughts down upon the weathered pages.

14/06/769 BC

As expected, it seems that the forces of misery and famine have struck Vallaki with all their might and power. Perhaps this comes as a lesson to it's people due to their behavior towards those who actively pursue and attempt to help, guide and offer them salvation. Perhaps currently, they are willing to act oblivious to the "foul nature of the outlanders and cultists" and accept any form of assistance out of sheer necessity to survive, but will they ever show gratitude afterwards? No. Once things are set back in motion, Barovians will as always, forget who helped them the most during the hardest of times. Such is the curse of these men and women.  

On the brighter note, I was visited today by Warden Giuccardini. It seems that Toret Byrne and herself work tirelessly to alleviate the suffering of the ungrateful Barovian populace. Proper Pure Hearts, one could say. Regardless, they are beginning to slowly run out of supplies. I've provided the Warden with few food boxes I've luckily prepared prior, and the blankets were sorted out as well thanks to the local general merchant Monsieur LaFrance. It seems that Giuccardini doesn't cease to improve in her martial abilities. We've engaged in a friendly spar, and I must say she is progressing rather rapidly - a remarkable sword arm for such a young girl.

I hear she is safe and sound for now as well... Perhaps I could visit in the coming d

Leonar  Arndon

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:37:46 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2tsJTA3nP8[/youtube]

Following the sudden strike of pain and agony in his head, the mind of the young Warden was swarmed by visions as he stayed in catatonic and deaf state towards the distressed cries of his beloved. In his horrific visions, he saw an underwater city in the light-less abyss of the sea's bottom.

Swimming through the mystical and colossal structures were giant, monstrous fish with tentacles. Perhaps the appearance could be deceiving, but the Warden was aware those were no ordinary fish. The creatures would glare at him with their three eyes, radiating with unknown, alien intelligence.
"Xannath, Xannath, Xannath.. " - The words spoken by both the perpetrator and language unknown,  ringed in the mind of Warden while being chanted in the vision.

The Warden came back to his senses soon enough. albeit shaken to the very core while finding himself again in the warm and caring embrace of his beloved. There was not a single moment left to waste. The threat to Port-a-Lucine was dire and more than real, therefore - the time has come to act.

15/06/769 BC

Horrific vision... Praise be to Ezra that my mind endured and held against such madness. Xannath... What manner of beast were they worshiping? I must dedicate my time to research before it is too late.

She... she has not forgotten me after all.

-Inquire with Lucille regarding "Xannath"

Leonar  Arndon

« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:53:33 PM by CloudGnome »

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 03:45:18 AM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O82Hc_dMehA[/youtube]

The capital of the Serene Republic met the first lights of the morning sun, as the young Warden returned from the bloody, vengeful endeavor.

Coldness, isolation, loneliness. His act of vengeance made a rift between his Guardian and himself, leaving him abandoned for the time being. Even thought he upheld his duty by protecting the Faithful from the wretched abuse of tyrannical heathens, his act was without humility. Without any mercy or a chance to offer redemption. For his crime, pride, and selfish nature, he finally bore the true punishment on his very skin.

Nevertheless, the young Warden gathered his composure and understood the trials which lied before him. Who was he to question a will of a Goddess? He was more than aware that there is always one more hill to climb and that the trials last until the moment of our very death. Perhaps he would now learn to rely on Her Grace and Blessings in far lesser degree... if he were to ever acquire them again.

Not even a drastic defeat of this magnitude would impede with his sworn duty. He still held the most valuable resource of them all - Faith. Faith that he will pass the challenges which were imposed on himself.

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:19:56 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpcK9zXrIb8[/youtube]

In the hour of greatest despair and sorrow, the Warden knelt before the enigmatic Stained Glass in the Cathedral of Ste. Mere des Larmes. He was lost and without guidance, slowly and with each passing day. becoming more and more aware of the nightmare which he continuously endured and the fact that his worst fear came to be - being abandoned by a deity once again.

Numerous trials and challenges lied ahead, his prowess and duty as an Anchorite becoming questioned at each and every corner. Yet, he knew that he did and will stand powerless and without the necessary tools to emerge from the depths to which he had fell to.

How could one hope to guide if he is without guidance himself? In his desperation, the Warden begged and wept before his Goddess and the Stained Glass, his heart becoming torn while asking for redemption, or at the very least a path leading to the same. He was well aware of his sins and misdeeds, becoming fully prepared to undergo whatever would his Goddess impose upon him, for the sake of continuing his duty as a Guardian, Guide and a Healer, glorifying Her name with both deed and word.   

The threads of the Grand Scheme unveiled and continued to do so as they have always been meant to. Only the time could now tell of the ordeals which awaited the young Warden.

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2014, 04:28:44 AM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV-FvxoR1PQ[/youtube]

The deed was done. After the bloody ordeal against the hateful aboleth, the Warden, alongside his group, was spat out by the calm sea waves to the sandy beaches of Dementlieuse shores. Disregarding the fact that all of them narrowly escaped gruesome death by drowning, it all seemed too easy for them all.

Perhaps it was but a beginning, and the beast sowed the seeds of destruction already, prior to it's apparent death. Or, perhaps the menace has been finally and utterly put down for good, the Serene Republic and it's citizens now having one less worry upon their plates.   

As always, only time would tell. Nevertheless, Leonar now found himself at the slight state of contentedness. Even though a trial has been imposed upon him, Ezra has not abandoned his side, and has seen him through safely as he conducted his duty of an Anchorite. That was the greatest and most valuable reward for him now.     

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2014, 07:40:03 PM »

[Settling into the peaceful ambience of "Le Chaudron-de-Feu" tavern, the Warden cracked open the pages of the worn out black journal, uncorking the inkwell and placing it on the wooden table aside, with the determination and wish to once more, put his thoughts to paper. As before, the majority of the journal remains completely blank, it's pages containing naught more than signs of wear in forms of faint yellowed stains and tiny paper tears. In addition to previous basic information regarding various flora, ingredients and herbalism recipes, a great deal of new, far more complex brewing formulas is now added to an already meager collection.]

29/06/769 BC

Well, it appears that the Lands of Mist now have one less menace to deal with. Who would've thought that a single aboleth could wreak havoc in such a large scale... Lucille deems that its brethren will potentially arrive and continue the unfinished .. - Perhaps so, time will tell, but at least for now, duty lies accomplished. The Councilor presented a rather.. disappointing persona, and that itself is an understatement. But what did I expect, it is Dementlieu, nothing is as it seems on the first glance around here. What is done, is done. I am more than glad and eternally grateful that my Guardian has seen me through this without harm.

-Acquire more financial resources for herbalism ingredients.
-Pray for both him and her.
-Repent daily.  

Leonar  Arndon
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 09:21:58 AM by CloudGnome »

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMvHTlWyxH0[/youtube]

As the Warden made his path through the village of Edrigan, the dread thoughts of worry and concern echoed throughout his mind. His fears and worries have once more become crude and harsh reality, for the beast that was Xannath has indeed managed to cause more damage and havoc, even after it's own gruesome demise at the hands of the group. With his own very eyes and wit, Leonar slowly began to witness and recognize the strings which influenced the entire play all along.

Were the rantings of a madman that was Jacques, truth or falsehood? Warden has chosen to believe regardless, for the foul and sly nature of a man that is D'Honaire has indeed presented itself at the single occasion. Why would it be surprise if D'Honaire indeed invokes some manner of arcane trickery to make his own tiny army of personal and utterly obedient mind-slaves? Of course it would not be, especially when it comes to politics where influence and control are the most effective and delicate resources of trade.

Nevertheless, who was Warden to question any of it? His single task and duty was to obey when he had to and ensure the sustenance and firm position of the Faithful and the Church - something which he had forgotten quite some time ago, due to the follies that were his pride and lust. Nevertheless, the Fate has dealt a hand of cards, and the time has come to play them to the best of his own abilities. 

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAIWOSQu6oQ[/youtube]

As Leonar ran through the cold Barovian night, the unyielding wolf howls were following and haunting him with each of the step taken ; but the thoughts and devastation which lied as heavy burdens upon the mind ringed far, far louder and clearer in the mind of the young Warden.

"What is the meaning of true love?" -The question repeated itself continuously in his thoughts as he gasped for air during the run. Sickness came quickly to his stomach as he began to realize just how much of a fool he was. Or wasn't he?

Showing utmost and undoubtable loyalty and devotion to the woman he loved unconditionally, with both his entire body and soul. Going against his superiors, Faith and Church for the sake of pursuing and maintaining the same... - many were the sacrifices made by Arndon, for those who wished to see them. Firsthand, he witnessed the very definition of that which was the Betrayal in it's purest form. He began to realize that "He" does not and never has existed in the "love" which was so frequently and easily tossed around, usually as a mere word of no value whatsoever.

"What of my own emotions, desires, wishes, thoughts?!" -None of these mattered and thus, infuriated and desperate, he questioned himself repeatedly in his mind. No words could describe how much Leonar was sickened and tired of the constant selfishness of the one he gave everything to.

"Is it my life that she seeks and wishes?" - The last thought and question echoed in Leonar's mind, albeit very quietly, as if it was buried underneath a mountain of doubt and disbelief. "Use your time to make peace with Ezra and to learn to forgive yourself" - The very words of his supposed loved one as an reply to the news of his own impending death. It truly was the life that she wished from him. An ultimate sacrifice so that his emotions, desires, wishes and thoughts can truly cease once and for all eternity.   

Or so did Leonar thought. At the end of the day, it was failure nevertheless, who has greeted him at the last step of a long, long stairwell. After all the attempts and endeavors, the Grand Scheme has once again revealed itself, as it always does. 

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 11:30:28 PM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXjJiLBz0wU[/youtube]

As the Warden took his first, heavy steps of determination upon the shifting sands of Har'Akir desert, he knew. It would be upon these very tides of blood and sand that he will seek his redemption. Perhaps it was not a certainty after all, but one thing, one thing was utterly true and clear to the young Warden - the sands will change him. He will come to learn the truth which he sought, himself, his flaws and qualities. For better or worse, the sands which he frequented so many times will get to shape and mold him, like a potter does with clay.

With nothing but his own set of capable hands, determination and most importantly - faith, as he entered the small village of Muhar, Leonar has fully granted the control of his life to Ezra's never-ending mercy and the judgement of the Grand Scheme. 

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2014, 02:34:27 AM »

[Under the scorching sun of Har'Akir wastes, Leonar sat down in front of the tent, his weary and bloodied eyes falling upon the worn out journal as he cracked it's pages open in his hands. With shaky hand and tears still burning like the hottest flames upon his cheeks, he decided to once again, put his thoughts down upon the tattered pages of the journal. He could feel it, his end was not far away, and only thing remaining to give for his love was his own life. If all were deaf to his wishes, will and desires, perhaps the blank yellowed pages would listen and see.]

18/07/769 BC

To whom it may concern ; This is my last will:

All the weapons, armors, equipment and coin in my possession, most located in form of claims and stored wealth at the bank at Port-a-Lucine - Dementlieu, are to be distributed in the following way:

-Tali Ubaid shall receive all wealth in the form of coin for the upbringing of our child. If the child is to perish, Templar Zivon de'Scusa of Refuge of Fifth Light congregation receives full right on the possession of all wealth. If Templar de'Scusa is unable to receive the wealth, my will is for it to be equally distributed between the decadent denizens of Vallaki and Port-a-Lucine slums.

-If the child is to reach adulthood, my will would be for him to receive my arms and weapons, so that they may serve him even better than to myself. If the child is to perish before that, all my belongings in form of wearable equipment, are to be buried with myself.

-All equipment in form of potions, poultices , various brews and herbs, are to be distributed evenly between my former proteges - Wardens Giuccardini and Almanico. My will is also for them to at least make attempt to learn the beautiful craft that is herbalism, for it shall serve them well, including those who cannot invoke Ezra's blessings. Meager diamond supply, including two of the Home Faith ring artifacts included.

Leonar  Arndon

Kebab Removal Unit

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2014, 03:08:45 AM »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZBGmN5obkk[/youtube]

For days did young Arndon traverse and wander the sandy wastelands of Har'Akir, searching, seeking, learning. The vastness and emptiness of the landscape had truly assisted him in learning that which he desired the most - himself. He could not have it anymore, the choice was to be made. A choice between his devotion to a Goddess, and a love for which he sacrificed next to everything. He abandoned Ezra in the same way she had abandoned him.

"Why do I worship a Goddess who judges and condemns me for a selfless act that is pure love, despite all my previous servitude and unwavering loyalty? Have I not earned at least that one bit, to truly love someone? " - The questions repeated themselves over and over in his mind, echoing throughout his heart and soul. "Was there an end to Ezra's selfishness, to seek and demand all that which I hold dear now?" - Further thoughts only infuriated Leonar as he ultimately made a choice. He was done with Ezra, in the same manner Ezra was done with him - his role in the Grand Scheme played out as one of her Anchorites.   

Little did Leonar know, that even a sacrifice of this magnitude would not be enough to please the "love of his life". Despite all the sacrifices he had made, all love and devotion he had shown, he apparently has never fought for his beloved. But he would not have it. The old, imprinted Helmite stubbornness ran deep and wide in Leonar's veins and mind. He would prove his love as it was demanded of him, despite all the infidelity of his beloved and the numerous odds stacked in favor against him. He was never the one to give up easily, especially at this hour, when his own very life was the only resource remaining in his own hands that he could possibly lose.