You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Hi new player here  (Read 4653 times)

Kordel

• New to the Mists
Hi new player here
« on: June 12, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
Hi!
Looks like a fun server, someone's been bugging me to reinstall that old NWN 1 thing for RP.
I have questions.

Why is my game bugging whenever I try to skip the intro animations? Running vista here. Waiting for the anims to be done is a total ZZZ.
What do you guys use to see the list of all servers now that atari dropped the multiplayer support? Something else than direct IP ?
When I tab my game out, then come back, my cursor turns into an X and I cant do anything. That sucks horribly bad! What to do? It doesnt happen all the time, oddly enough.
Is there a way to see player's account names too or just their toon names?
Anyone got a link of all the new stuff added in that community expansion pack?
Is there anything I can do to increase the font of letters when playing in 1920 resolution?
Is there a way to move the camera?!?!? ... omg!

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 12:16:26 PM by Kordel »

Theorem Of Neutrality

• Undead Master
  • It Do
Re: Hi new player here
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 01:43:11 PM »
First off, welcome!

Don't know the answer to some of these, but I'll answer the ones that I do!

What do you guys use to see the list of all servers now that atari dropped the multiplayer support? Something else than direct IP?

This is the link you want.

When I tab my game out, then come back, my cursor turns into an X and I cant do anything. That sucks horribly bad! What to do? It doesnt happen all the time, oddly enough.

You can fix this usually by just tabbing back out and back in. You can also change the game to windowed mode as well, if it bothers you enough.

Is there a way to see player's account names too or just their toon names?

The easiest way I know of is to click their portrait in the chatbox while playing the game. That'll get you set up to send a tell directly to them using their username.

Anyone got a link of all the new stuff added in that community expansion pack?

Oh, god. The list is huge. I don't know if there's a list that could contain it all. However, the CEP mainly focuses around adding resources for builders to use - meshing together hundreds of hak paks that add placeables, tilesets, monster blueprints, item blueprints etc. etc. etc. The only aspects of it that would affect gameplay are the additions of tons of armor pieces in a multitude of styles and a bunch of new heads for characters.

Is there anything I can do to increase the font of letters when playing in 1920 resolution?

You'll find an option to make text high-res in the options menu, under video options, and then advanced video options. Should be the very last check box on the bottom of the list.

You use the arrow keys to move the camera horizontally and to zoom in and out, page up and page down to move the camera vertically.

Hope this helps! Sorry that I can't troubleshoot some of your other problems.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:45:15 PM by Theorem Of Neutrality »
Zivon de'Scusa - The Core's best Doctor Doom cosplayer since 752.

Maleficar

• New to the Mists
  • LANNISTER
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 01:46:03 PM »
Hello, here are a few things that might help.

The animations;
Open up your nwn.ini file with notepad - it's found in your NWN folder.
Scroll down to the ''Disable Intro Movie'' sequence, and change it to say ''Disable Intro Movies=1''

Tabbing out;
This occurs to me too. The quickest roundabout seems to be clicking the screen, and then pressing ALT+F4, this should bring up the quit box and render the game clickable again.

Account names;
Yes, click their portraits in the chat window and their account name will be pasted into your chat bar.

Camera;
Yes, the camera is moved by your arrows, alternatively by pressing the scrolling wheel. You may configure this in the settings.

Custom content;
Getting a list seems rather tedious, but you can make your own custom module in the Aurora Toolset and apply all the haks used in Ravenloft under the module settings tab. There, you'll have all the custom content available to the developers of Ravenloft.

EDIT: Seems Theorem of Neutrality was quicker than me on some points.

« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 01:51:00 PM by Maleficar »

AnOldFriend

• Undead Master
  • House d'Orsine
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 02:17:53 PM »
Why is my game bugging whenever I try to skip the intro animations? Running vista here. Waiting for the anims to be done is a total ZZZ.
Changing your .ini settings You can set it to skip intro videos, make absolutely sure that when you save the edited file it's .ini

Also in the .ini edit up above is the option to change to allow switching to window mode, getting in the habit of hitting alt-enter and then alt tabing greatly reduced the amount of crashing I did

you may have accidently hit * on your keypad, that sets the game into "driving camera mode" if you simply hit it again it will reset the game to a over head camera
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 02:20:21 PM by AnOldFriend »

Rest in Peace Dumitru Nistor

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 02:25:20 PM »
I can simply skip the intro animations by clicking or pushing a button, any button I believe. You should be able to (or enable this) even on Vista.
And when I need to move the camera I hold down my scroll button (which translates to "middle mouse button", I think?) and drag the mouse.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 02:45:22 PM »
Had an issues the intro scenes with nwn on an old computer before. Another work around is to set up a shortcut to open directly to a module that doesn't exist, and then back out to the main menu to access multiplayer.

AnOldFriend

• Undead Master
  • House d'Orsine
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 02:54:52 PM »
I know mine would always crash if I clicked to quickly, so that's why I ended up skipping them through the .ini

Kordel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, 04:35:39 PM »
Thank you for the answers. Another question... quoted from the server rule :

"- All prestige classes are available, with the exception of Harper Scout and Purple Dragon Knights; Red Dragon Disciples can only be taken by outlander (e.g. non-native) characters."

But I dont see purple dragon knights on the list of availlable base and prestige classes?

Maleficar

• New to the Mists
  • LANNISTER
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, 04:48:23 PM »

"- All prestige classes are available, with the exception of Harper Scout and Purple Dragon Knights; Red Dragon Disciples can only be taken by outlander (e.g. non-native) characters."

But I dont see purple dragon knights on the list of availlable base and prestige classes?

The class is included in the 1.69 Critical Rebuild - a patch which offers a lot of content needed for gameplay online. You can download it here -
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1505

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2014, 04:55:46 PM »

The class is included in the 1.69 Critical Rebuild - a patch which offers a lot of content needed for gameplay online. You can download it here -
http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Other.Detail&id=1505

Just so you are aware. The server has a system in place to ensure you may only take prestige classes your character been approved for. The application can be found here and you can send it to one of these guys after your character has undergone the appropriate training.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »

That is correct? Just like it says in the quote you posted. All prestige classes are available, except for the Harper Scout and Purple Dragon Knight.

Kordel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2014, 06:26:12 PM »
Actually it's because my cd keys do not include that king something pack its why I dont have the purple knight. But it doesnt matter here anyways. I am thinking of making a gnome wizard but after reading the old NWN 1 rules, it's funny how a fighter type is interesting with all the two bladed weapons n stuff. Anyhow, more questions! ( just want to make sure that my first toon wont be a complete mess ).

Craft trap, craft armor, craft weapon, are those skills worth it? Or can you already buy all the results in standard shops?
Is the ride skill used? Are there mounts?
Craft wands, brew potions, scribe scrolls, worth it, or once again, can you buy all the results in a shop somewhere?
Can you spot naturally stealthing rogues with true seeing? ( God I hate that NWN 1 aspect... )

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 06:35:41 PM »
The crafting skills aren't availible in game.. At least not that I've noticed..

There are not really any mounts (again as far as I know)

the server has it's own crafting system, that is independant, so you don't need the skills, you can also buy most items in stores.. or make them in game. Except for wands, those can only be bought.. and most magic items..
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2014, 06:57:06 PM »
To make things easy on yourself DO NOT take skills at first level on this server. Many things are different then in the base game. You are automatically leveled to 2 on entry and can safely set your skills then.

Any melee class gains a lot of benefit from having parry and tumble because this server added a bonus to your ac for reaching certain values in each.

Kordel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2014, 08:07:58 PM »
Allright thanks again, reading those modified spell list with your replies answered almost everything.

One last thing : which difficulty setting is the server set at? Easy, Normal, Hard?

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2014, 09:09:28 PM »
Allright thanks again, reading those modified spell list with your replies answered almost everything.

One last thing : which difficulty setting is the server set at? Easy, Normal, Hard?

Extra hard with a touch of insane.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2014, 10:24:44 PM »

None of the above. It's set on PotM, which is somewhere between nightmare and hell if speaking in Diablo standards.

AnOldFriend

• Undead Master
  • House d'Orsine
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2014, 10:55:57 PM »
I've always heard that this server is actually rather easy as long as a DM does not get involved

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2014, 11:01:04 PM »
It depends on your play-style. Time of day can alter difficulty wildly for a new character.

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2014, 11:08:55 PM »
Deadly!

Enjoy the stay! Bwahahahahahahaha!
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2014, 11:45:54 PM »
Try not to solo and you should be fine the difficulty is to encourage group play.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Theorem Of Neutrality

• Undead Master
  • It Do
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2014, 06:52:20 AM »

I don't think the server really relies on the game's inherent difficulty setting. If you mess around with that stuff it can cause damage values to be exploded to ridiculous levels.

Edit: Everyone has failed to adequately explain the difficulty of the server. PotM is to NwN as Dark Souls is to Super Mario 64.
Zivon de'Scusa - The Core's best Doctor Doom cosplayer since 752.

IDreamofDaleks

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2014, 08:53:22 AM »
Ravenloft encourages caution as a character. So long as you 'play' smart you will be fine
fine.  Sometimes the most dangerous force is not the night but those that fear it
;)

Kordel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2014, 09:48:30 AM »
My question was more to know if petrification lasts forever, if fireballs hits friend and foes alike, etc... that kind of difficulty setting.

Kordel

• New to the Mists
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:48 AM »
........ I create a toon but any skin or hair color automatically switch to some metallic apperance which is... eewwww.

Edit : can just use the mirror ok nm.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:14:23 AM by Kordel »