Author Topic: Suggestion - Wachter Estate Gates  (Read 2007 times)

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
Suggestion - Wachter Estate Gates
« on: January 30, 2014, 11:20:22 AM »
Could perhaps a guard NPC be placed beside the gates (really only the side gates to the graveyard and the opposite side gates.) and a conversation added to the door(s), like the drain to allow PC's with a token/widjet, acess in and out?

RP wise some serfs are not trusted with keys but may ask the guard/other PC's to open the gates for them to carry out thier' work. This would enable them to do so, without actually having to give them a key with the potential for abuse.

I personally know the difficulty, because I've got a PC who I'd like to RP more with, and develop more, who's effectively only playable when other estate characters are online.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Suggestion - Wachter Estate Gates
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
I'll explore this.

Thanks for the feedback.

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 11:50:26 AM »
This was just my own suggestion, tbh ANY way that the employed persons could come and go without having to be given a key (since they aren't trusted enough.) but still keeping NPC's involved in the absence of PC's, would be great. Since it would mean that the rule would apply, so if someone was exiled but still had the token, or forbidden to leave, they would be breaking such a rule. Since the guard wouldn't be letting them out.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 05:29:58 PM »
Is it a thought to perhaps open up the outer gates altogether? That way interaction between the estate and townsfolk gets encouraged.
Of course the gates would remain lockable, in case of emergency, and people stll can not trespass without breaking the NPC rule.

I can just imagine townsfolk coming and going quite frequently to resupply the estate, perform small jobs and so on.
I think that wasn't too uncommon for estates from that time period, like the local miller or candlemaker coming by to make deliveries.

Although this welcoming attitude might be a little out of character for the Wachter family, I'm not sure. That's for the staff to decide.
In any case it would all be under the watchful eye of the guards that will continue to patrol and look down from on top of the walls.
(And just to clarify, I am only referring to opening up the outer gate. Absolutely no public access to interior locations without keys.)

Following the line of thought from the original post, is it possible to allow only natives (characters indicated as commoners by the OCR) to bypass a door?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:34:08 PM by Feronius »

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2014, 05:34:29 PM »
Is it a thought to perhaps open up the outer gates altogether? That way interaction between the estate and townsfolk gets encouraged.
Of course the gates would remain lockable, in case of emergency, and people stll can not trespass without breaking the NPC rule.

I can just imagine townsfolk coming and going quite frequently to resupply the estate, perform small jobs and so on.
I think that wasn't too uncommon for estates from that time period, like the local miller or candlemaker coming by to make deliveries.

Although this welcoming attitude might be a little out of character for the Wachter family, I'm not sure. That's for the staff to decide.
In any case it would all be under the watchful eye of the guards that will continue to patrol and look down from on top of the walls.
(And just to clarify, I am only referring to opening up the outer gate. Absolutely no public access to interior locations without keys.)

Following the line of thought from the original post, alternatively you could maybe even make it so that only natives (OCR indicating the character as a commoner) can bypass the outer gates?

All supplies are brought into the keep via its staff.  Outsiders are not permitted.  Opening the gates would allow any Gundarakite to sneak in.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 05:48:29 PM »
All supplies are brought into the keep via its staff.  Outsiders are not permitted.  Opening the gates would allow any Gundarakite to sneak in.

Fair point, I guess it makes sense for them to be extra paranoid about rebels. The Wachter family does a lot of tax collecting for the Count I believe.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2014, 06:17:26 PM »
All supplies are brought into the keep via its staff.  Outsiders are not permitted.  Opening the gates would allow any Gundarakite to sneak in.

Fair point, I guess it makes sense for them to be extra paranoid about rebels. The Wachter family does a lot of tax collecting for the Count I believe.

Pretty much all of it.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 06:21:43 PM »

Yeah, the tax collector NPC is with the Wachter family.  Creepy son of a gun.