Author Topic: Character Creation Glitch  (Read 2772 times)

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
Character Creation Glitch
« on: April 22, 2014, 12:45:34 PM »
So, I was pointed to this area by a friendly person.

My problem is, I'm running NWN Diamond, the Gog.com version on Windows Vista. Now, I've gotten the game to work, I got my CD key, and my single player game up and started like nothing. It took some finagling but I got it working fine.

However, when I went to get the stuff to run the Ravenloft Server and play it. I downloaded the CEP stuff, and installed it just fine, but now... the problem that most vista+ users have where the character is not showing up during character creation... is happening again...

I've checked the settings, nothing's changed. I've set the compatibility to not use the Desktop Colors. I have the Environmental thing turned off. But the characters are not showing up in creation anymore. And it drives me insane, because I can't make my character look like I want them too. And I'd rather not go with a generic look. XD

If anyone could help out, that'd be nifty.

-=Rilan Indoran=- -=Enzo=-

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: Character Creation Glitch
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:05:59 PM »
I'm not entirely sure, but I think I had a similar issue myself at some point. I can't remember how I fixed it though.
I think I simply had to reinstall either the CEP and / or .hak files or reinstall the entire game to get it sorted out.

There is an in-game way to change your head, skintone, hair colour and tattoo colour though. Right after you enter the server.
But for stuff like tattoos, bodyshape, etc. you still need either the character creation menu or a DM. Or to do it blind, if possible.

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 04:00:33 PM »
I really don't want to do a full reinstall of the whole game... I use the GoG.com version, and it's three parts. All of which take forever to download on my computer...

It bugs me, because I can't do anything character creation-wise on even the single player modules. So... any help would be appreciated. I've done a clean-install of the .hak files, which I think are the culprit, to no avail.

Any other solutions?

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 04:29:23 PM »
Is shiny water off?

Can you re-install the gog files without having to re-download them?

Did you make sure that you don't have any funky overrides that are not necessary?

Is your graphics card the culprit? try updating the drivers
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 04:51:50 PM »
Yes.

I do not have the gog files. I'd have to redownload them.

I'm not sure what overrides are bad and what aren't.

Maybe, it's ATI, but I've done all I can to make that work right, outside messing too much with settings I don't understand. I had it working before I installed the CEP stuff for Ravenloft. I'm about to check to see if they're truly the culprit now.

EDIT: The CEP stuff is not the culprit. So it might be the overrides, but I have no idea what ones would be causing problems... I just got the ones specified in the forum post to how to connect... But that didn't seem to change anything, that I noticed. (Maybe I didn't notice, 'cause all I did was logon to a single-player thing to check the new UI out.)

EDIT Again: I removed both Override filesets from my game, and still it didn't fix the problem... Hrrm.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:20:31 PM by Onasaki »

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 05:38:54 PM »
I removed everything Ravenloft, and still the glitch persists. I think something may have gotten wonky, then.

Like a crossed wire, or something... I may have to go do a whole fresh reinstallation of the game itself.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
I don't remember exactly, but I think I recall having comparability problems with ATI and NWN before. Has this particular computer run nwn - Specifically POTM - before? it might run single player but it could be having trouble with the custom content. I am strongly leaning towards re-install the game.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 06:03:48 PM »
Oh it has no problem running the game, or the server, and yes this is my first time.

The problem lays in, that I can't customize my character's avatar through the in-game creator. I had to adjust my Ravenloft character with the mirror thingy in the newbie area. The game runs fine, and I am going to re-install it.

It's just that ONE little thing that bugs the living crap out of me.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 06:28:34 PM »
oh ok. I think i know what you're talking about. Once you log in, you use the mirrors to make the character look the way you want right? I know that is pretty standard. when i make new characters, there are no CEP options in the nwn creator program. It's all generic, plain-jane-and-joe stuff. Log in and mod up your toon at the mirrors to get custom content.

Never been able to select custom content from the creator prior to logging in.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 07:05:58 PM »
Yeah. I'm not too worried about the custom content, I'm just worried about future characters I make in Single Player and others I might make for Ravenloft.

I'd like to get some kind of idea of what my character looks like before I throw him into the game.

Jalthex

• Captain Hiatus
  • Undead Master
  • You make me touch your hands for stupid reasons!
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 07:35:39 PM »
If you go into your driver settings for ATI, your CCC settings, check if your Anistropic filtering is set to 'application controlled.'

If there is an option for 'Enable high quality Anistropic Filtering,' try setting it to that and see if it works after.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2014, 08:04:21 PM »
He basically has the issue that he can't see any character, at all, when creating a new character. It's just all black (or blue) screened.
Which means you're unable to choose the character's bodytype, tattoo options or to customise your character in a singleplayer game.

Have you tried reinstalling your video card drivers? Or checking whether you don't accidentally have multiple drivers installed, etc.
I'd first rule out all the things that little time and effort, before trying something drastic like redownloading a few gigabytes to reinstall.

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2014, 09:06:14 PM »
I've reinstalled the game, to no avail. I have not tried uninstalling my drivers and reinstalling them, yet.

I had everything working fine... then I installed the stuff for Ravenloft and it borked up again.

I uninstalled the stuff for ravenloft, did a clean install. And even with the clean install, I'm still not getting anything anymore. I haven't changed anything from the last time...

Is there a workaround I could mess with? In like the ini files, or registry for the game?

EDIT: Actually, things seemed to look fine. When I looked at it again. I was told before, you cannot see custom things in the creator, right? No custom models, meshes, or clothes, right? Which includes dyed clothes from Ravenloft, right? We'll see what happens after I reinstall everything for Ravenloft.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 09:15:07 PM by Onasaki »

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2014, 09:55:35 PM »
So, I went through reinstalling all the stuff for Ravenloft...

And I'm right back where I effing started. >.<

No visible characters in character creation. Not even non-CEP characters.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 01:31:38 AM »
So a clean install with no custom content (nothing in overrides, no third-party HAKs, etc) and you still have the issue?

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 02:15:02 AM »
Yeah.

Things were fine until I installed the Ravenloft stuff. I think something is overriding the way the settings work.

I mean, like I said, I can still play the game. And the game runs fine. Just that ONE little thing, is bugging the crap out of me. XD

I can probably try another clean install, and try to figure out where the problem starts. It's either the CEP stuff, or the Ravenloft stuff.

Or maybe we're all over thinking this, and it's something simple. Whatever it is, it's driving me crazy. Hell, it might even be the UI overrides.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:15 AM »
For single player, you could just mod your character in the toolset, drop the file into the local vault.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
DeviantArt /Tybookins

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 06:55:53 AM »
I don't think it's a UI override, because that mainly affects the in-game interface. I also never used it myself, but had the same issue as you.

Are you sure you are installing the Ravenloft specific content correctly? Putting it all in the right folders, the right versions, etc.
If it only happens after downloading the server specific .hak files and / or the CEP content, then those are the only reasons I can think of.

Did you back up a clean version of your hak and override folders before reinstalling all the custom content again? That way you can rule it out.

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2014, 12:36:02 PM »
I did not. I didn't think about that. So, I guess I'm doing a clean install again. XD

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2014, 04:05:11 PM »
When playing multiplayer, custom content (in other words, stuff in the .hak files) isn't loaded up into memory until after you create your character and enter the gameworld, so that probably isn't the culprit.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2014, 04:30:33 PM »
That's not the problem though. It's just that I can't see the character in the creation... and that bugs me. It just /bugs/ me. And I want to fix it. XD

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2014, 05:54:58 PM »
Is it possible there's a .ini file someplace besides the main folder? Like how Oblivion and Skyrim put .inis in like three different places. Or is it all in one place?

'Cause I could delete the .ini and see if it'll reload a new one.

Onasaki

• Outlander
  • Adiik darasuum...
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2014, 09:12:49 PM »
Just did another clean install. And still having invisible character issues. It has to be my video card, but I've done changed every setting on the damned thing at least once. I'm about ready to uninstall the drivers then reinstall them.

Any takers? Or is there another remedy I should try?

EDIT: So... on a whim, I tried something. I turned on Environmental Character Textures or whatever, saved the settings. Then went back in, and turned it off again, and my characters were back! So... weird!

I think I fixed it though, and I thank everyone who helped and tried to help.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:20:03 PM by Onasaki »