You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Graphic Stuttering/shakeing.  (Read 1434 times)

RedwolfII

• New to the Mists
Graphic Stuttering/shakeing.
« on: April 16, 2014, 02:40:32 PM »
Hi just noticed a new problem coming seemingly from nowhere. I have played since a week before NCW and noticed yesterday a problem with my screen. i didnt have it before and i dont know what could be wrong. (have a hunch named below)
Here is the problem i been having. the screen shakes back and forth really fast and that makes all texts blurry.  (the whole rpg aspekts relay uppon texts)
I have noticed this problem before only when i have lowered my Nvidia graphic to 30Hz instead of 60Hz. and that is outside the game before when checking the difference between 1080i 1080p. but for some reason now i cant even play no-mater what resolution i have in the game.

Like i said i have played for over a week now without this problem and i havnt changed anything. I have tried to Reinstall the launcher and the uppdates. i have unchecked and rechecked every graphic box (shadows, High res front etc) I have restarted my computer several times and i have replugged the screen with the same error. I have NWNMain compabitily mode for Xp. (windows 7 home edition).

Once or twice this problem have gone away while i Alt-Tab out and in to the game and Once or Twice when i just click on the advance graphics buttons, (my screen turns black half a sec like a screen update)

Does anyone know what this problem could be or do i have to try my best being unable to read and write in the text chatt. Hopes for a good answer since i have a great time on this server.

And if my english makes me un understandable it aint my native language but i try my best to get understood  :lol:
Famous Last Words: Why is that guy speaking in sign language?
Ha! You need a 20 to hit me I'm invincible!

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
Re: Graphic Stuttering/shakeing.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 01:54:45 AM »
What sort of graphic's card are you running?

What is your desktop refresh rate, under both the NVidia control panel and the window's 7 Display/screen resolution advanced settings under the monitor tab?
Have you tried enable Vsync ? (because that is what it sounds like there's an issue with currently unless I'm reading things incorrectly).
Are you able to test with a different monitor?  (doesn't need to be used full time, merely to try and rule out extra possibilities).
Have you tried running NWN in window mode (My brother is literally unable to read a thing when he hasn't got NWN in window mode, but we've never bothered to trouble shoot it as he prefers to play that way.)

Have you tried updating your Video and Sound drivers since this became a problem?

What Res are you running the game under?
What Res is your desktop set to?

Have you ever tried to set a custom resolution for NWN?

Just some basic question's to hopefully get some more information. 

RedwolfII

• New to the Mists
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »
I have tried another screen. (same type tho Acer G245HQ) to see if it was just my screen or the same kind of screen. Problem still there. i could maybe borrow my friends screen and try that one.
I havent tried to have only Vsync boxed but with all boxed the same time.

My Graphic card is kind of a monster (or so a am told) Its Nvidia Gforce GTX 770.

I run the game in 1920-1080 and havent need to change it. i have tried tho to see if the error goes away with lower res and it wont unless i go down all the way to 1024-768 wich is another hell to play with.
My desktop and Geforceexperiance is both on the same Res. (1920-1080) 60Hz.

I havnt tried a custom resolution and i havnt tried windowed mode yet. will try it right now so soon back with an answer.

Thanks for the questions and  answers (quick as they was)

RedwolfII

• New to the Mists
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »
My answer is i am to dumb for this... cant find how to put it into windowed mode nor how to fix custom resolution.

And Vsync didnt do any diffrence.

Tried a diffrent screen (and diffrent model) and that seemed to work. only question then is why did it work before on this one and why does the problem go away from time to time. still would like to try out windowed mode and custom res if anyone can explain how to do it for me. Cheaper then buying a new screen.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:05:49 AM by RedwolfII »

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 11:55:26 AM »
Setting a custom Resolution and refresh rate is generally problematic in and of itself, it was more a question to see if the problem could be related to such.

As for enabling Window mode, you need to either find or add the line AllowWindowedMode=1 to your NWN.ini file in your Neverwinter Nights folder somewhere under the heading of [Display Options] and once the line is added it is possible to enter by pressing the Alt Key and Enter key together.

INI file should read something like as follows under the Display Option's heading. 

[Display Options]
AllowWindowedMode=1
Disable Intro Movies=1
BitsPerPixels=32
RefreshRate=60

Quote from: RedwolfII
Tried a diffrent screen (and diffrent model) and that seemed to work. only question then is why did it work before on this one and why does the problem go away from time to time. still would like to try out windowed mode and custom res if anyone can explain how to do it for me. Cheaper then buying a new screen.

Most certainly cheaper, as I said most of them were basic question's to simply get a better idea of what has been tried and some more information on the problem itself. 

The fact that with the same model screen you get similar results, however with a different model it appears to work fine is rather interesting that would generally leave me thinking such is likely an issue with the Monitor's driver and it needs to be reinstalled or possibly a setting associated with that particular monitor's settings.

Test out Window Mode, see if that at least helps out while you're running NWN in a window.
Double check any setting associated with your monitor, resolution and refresh rate, relating to either Nvidia' or Win7's desktop settings.
On principle I'd suggest updating your graphic's drivers.
And if you're Tech Savy or have a friend that is, reinstall your monitor's display driver.

These are merely suggestions on what could possibly help.

I am trying to think of other things to recommend trying, but I'm coming up with a bit of a blank myself beyond testing the above, with any luck somebody else will chime in with assistance based on experience as I can't say I've ever experienced this issue.

RedwolfII

• New to the Mists
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 04:11:52 AM »
Windowed mode seems to work just fine, now the problem is i cant fit the window to my screen without it jumping into full-screen again with statics again. Trying to find a workaround just wanted to give a status report.
And custom resolutions seemed to do no difference to the static problem.

I have the latest Nvidia Driver and that might just be the issue since i had a update the sameday i got this problem.
I consider reinstall my screen drivers or look for a update of some kind to atleast rule out if that is the problem.

RedwolfII

• New to the Mists
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:40:16 AM »
Just wanted to say that to reinstall the screens drivers did no difference. And i can almost make a full screened Windowed mode now but definitively enough for me to play without unsatisfying experience.

Want to say thanks alot for the help Squeak. And hope this post help others in the future with possibly the same problem.