You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: A Reminder about Location  (Read 2622 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
A Reminder about Location
« on: February 26, 2014, 11:59:04 PM »
So I often see advertisements about things going on in Barovia in Dementlieu for some reason or another, and this is a bit of a pet peeve for me. Why is it a pet peeve for me? Allow me to demonstrate via this map:

The majority of the Dementlieuse are going to have little to no interest in what is taking place in Barovia. The Barovians are going to have little to no interest in what is taking place in Dementlieu. The mist camp is the place you're going to get travelers between the two locations.

Also, consider that even if you're something of a big deal in Barovia, most people will Dementlieu will not care. The reverse is true as well.

This friendly reminder was brought to you by Vengeful, the letter C, the number 5, and contributions from viewers like you.

Ternce

• Undead Master
  • Ye be naught but a worm.
Re: A Reminder about Location
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 12:05:43 AM »
Yeah right more like

Vanitas

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
The mist camp is the place you're going to get travelers between the two locations.

yes. They're literally half a continent away from each other. What happens in one will generally have very little bearing in another.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 12:37:58 AM »
"o no civil war in beerove"

"lol silly barbaric serfs"

swbf2lord

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 01:49:14 AM »
I imagine that, if something like civil war in Barovia came up in conversation, for Dementlieuse citizens, it would be somewhere around the importance of a slight increase in grain prices, or small streak of rainy days, etc.

Vaesi

• Outlander
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 01:59:39 AM »
While I understand the points being made and the need for setting reality... to some extent we shouldn't have to be so critical of people doing this I think.  Simply for the fact its a game, and with a limiited player base.  Which is already spread about - and wanting to let folks know whats going on to generate rp so we all keep logging in... is a bit more of importance to my thinking.

Guess I don't mind seeing posters in other countries for rp reasons is what I'm saying.   

Geiger

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2014, 02:16:51 AM »
While I understand the points being made and the need for setting reality... to some extent we shouldn't have to be so critical of people doing this I think.  Simply for the fact its a game, and with a limiited player base.  Which is already spread about - and wanting to let folks know whats going on to generate rp so we all keep logging in... is a bit more of importance to my thinking.

Guess I don't mind seeing posters in other countries for rp reasons is what I'm saying.   

I kinda feel a better way of going about doing it is through the forums and their relevant boards. I won't blow a gasket over seeing stuff about Dementlieu in Barovia - but you're probably better of adverting forum-wise.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2014, 04:02:14 PM »
I think it's an important point, and the divide between the two nations isn't just geographical. They're also worlds apart culturally. To the Dementlieuse, Barovia is a primitive, barbaric backwater with no appreciation of the fine arts, music, cuisine, or literature. To the Barovians, Dementlieu is a land of effete, foppish dilettantes who waste their time on frilly art and haven't done an honest day's work in their lives.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002