Author Topic: Barovians, and You: A short message on the truth of the Barovian people  (Read 11071 times)

Indigocell

• Undead Slayer
Re: Barovians, and You: A short message on the truth of the Barovian people
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2014, 06:08:53 PM »
Does anyone distinguish between wizards and sorcerers as far as fear and mistrust of the arcane goes?

Geiger

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2014, 06:17:15 PM »
Yeah, Ravenloft is the setting where 'The Wolfman', 'Dracula', 'The Creature of the Black Lagoon', 'the Mummy' and 'Frakenstein's Monster' meet up to play Living Greyhawk, those three modules from Forgotten Realms that they liked and some homebrew.

Ravenloft, like most things in DnD, is based on historical places, but they are NOT those historical places. Even Odiare isn't the entirety of Italy - it's just a single city gone rogue into the multiverse and now represents a skewed, dark vision of what might be an Italian city state of the Renaissance.

@Indigocell - The explicit difference for a Barovian is like this - there isn't one. They don't like either. A Wizard WILLFULLY studies magic and wants to DO IT (this guy wants to learn how to summon demons, he isn't just doing it because he is naive). A sorcerer for whatever reason can just manifest magic, which, for a Barovian its going to be terrible (might even inspire some paranoia of who is and isn't a mage). On the basic level - a peasant isn't going to know the difference between either.

Standard line - Barovian are fearful of it - its up to PLAYERS on an individual level to describe how THEIR Barovian -Hero- (or villain or TN barely upjumped from a peasant) will react. Someone who burns witches alive openly as a Barovian may receive the same treatment as a mage (great, now we're going to get cursed for harboring the enemies of the Big Bad Evil Guy.)

MatticusCaesar

• Dark Power
  • Beware the Hinvasion!
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2014, 11:31:49 PM »
Hi Geiger,

From what resource did that clipping come?  I have both the original boxed sets for Ravenloft: Realm of Terror and Forbidden Lore, but what I read there rings no bells at all.

Thanks!
It's from Ravenloft Gazetteer I. It's from the 3rd edition Ravenloft line, written by the people who ran Kargatane official fan site.

Excellent!  I will check that out!  Thank you again!
Currently Playing:
Conner o'Clan Cunningham, Cando Weaselbite

On the sidelines but ready for action:
Tychon Corynian, Bjarna Blitzthorn, Remo Fenberry, Yerrith Greenstone, Gryllus Athens, Pristi Feld

LoLJohnFerro

• Dark Power
  • Currently playing: Dragoon Sae'rid
Might I ask how barovians feel about halflings?

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
They have a better spot in life than other races, since they look more like humans than the others.  They still live in tight knit communities though, and many are from Gundarak.  So, they tend to be associated with Gundarakites.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
Bumping this up due to questions from other players.

Olywynn

• Likes to say "Nyeh heh heh!"
  • Dark Lord
  • Nyeh heh heh!
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2015, 09:16:10 AM »
Bumping this thread for the benefit of new players.