Author Topic: @label / Pick Target  (Read 4408 times)

DM Erebus

• Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
@label / Pick Target
« on: February 09, 2014, 11:17:31 AM »
Howdy.

Are these functioning? I can't seem to find the Pick Target feat in the radial dial, or as a quickslottable command.

Feronius

• Dark Power
Re: @label / Pick Target
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:17:18 PM »
I don't believe the Pick Target feat has been made accessible yet. It should be implemented properly somewhere in the (near) future.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 12:52:49 PM »
Yeah, still need to figure out how to get it appear properly on the menu, shouldn't take too long now.

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 10:30:55 PM »
Will it be possible in the future to be able to modify description? Bothering DMs to add descriptions can be disruptive.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 05:14:13 PM »
I tried fiddling some with it - the Pick Target still doesn't show up on your special abilities menu, right?

Will it be possible in the future to be able to modify description? Bothering DMs to add descriptions can be disruptive.

To item containers or any item?

Ideally, we could give players the option of renaming and adding new descriptions to every item, but it would be easy to exploit to make things appear as something else (which can then be used for fooling people to buy items.) That may to an extend be considered part of the roleplay too, but for now, I'm more comfortable first of all getting it to work on bags and then see how that goes.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 05:26:09 PM »
I really think letting players rename certain items (craftables and the more RP-oriented items like rings and amulets and, hell, maybe even those FINE PAINTINGS you come across) and give them custom descriptions - it's an idea that offers more positives than it does negatives, I agree. But being able to label bags is a good first step.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 05:32:29 PM »
I really think letting players rename certain items (craftables and the more RP-oriented items like rings and amulets and, hell, maybe even those FINE PAINTINGS you come across) and give them custom descriptions - it's an idea that offers more positives than it does negatives, I agree. But being able to label bags is a good first step.

Me too! It would be really great for roleplay enrichment, and while I know the chance of exploitation exists, I'd like to think that my fellow players would treat it well. It will certainly be a useful first step - I have a terrible memory and being able to label bags will be a godsend. :P But... the possibilities! Here's my two pence, anyway.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 05:52:04 PM »
Really I think the time that would be saved by no longer having to call upon DMs to rename stuff or make custom items for flavor would ultimately outweigh the time spent dealing with potential godmoding involving items. We have the @mark tool and people are for the most part responsible with that. So I ask: why not think about the idea for the future?

Getting "Pick Target" to work as it should first should be the priority, though.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 07:06:09 PM »
What if player-added text was a different colour? Is that possible to script in?

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 07:47:11 AM »
What if player-added text was a different colour? Is that possible to script in?

I'm a bit unsure to be honest - but we could possibly add an asterisk (*) at the end of the name, and perhaps a "(Custom description)" at the beginning of an item with customized description.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:00 AM »
That seems sensible.

Geiger

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
Why not just add to the item's description at the end:

~Description written by (playername)~

Really all that would need.

I'd probably say that "unique weapons and armor" should probably retain their bios and names just because, well, players didn't make them. At the minimum I'd allow them a name change because some weapons/items describe the penalties on those weapons in a way for people to understand 'why' they are the way they are.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 08:33:49 AM »
Why not just add to the item's description at the end:

~Description written by (playername)~

Really all that would need.

I'd probably say that "unique weapons and armor" should probably retain their bios and names just because, well, players didn't make them. At the minimum I'd allow them a name change because some weapons/items describe the penalties on those weapons in a way for people to understand 'why' they are the way they are.

I imagine that we would quite often have the original and player description contradict each other.

We could have it work in the same way as the current description system for PCs when setting their own, allowing for both overwriting and adding.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:09 AM »
Yes, I'd like that a lot. Has there been any luck in fixing the Pick Target feat?

NecropolisV

• Undead Master
  • ~Dragons, Dragons, Dragons!~
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2014, 03:01:50 AM »
the pick target feat is in the list.. but how do i use it?
Currently Playing: Maloryn X'angondur

Closured:
Markus Shadebane, Adrian Von Viklov, Vincent Zolokorov, Adam, Ambrose De'Korban, Akin, Velindilieth Asuranaeh,

dark_majico

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 03:05:52 PM »

I'm a bit unsure to be honest - but we could possibly add an asterisk (*) at the end of the name, and perhaps a "(Custom description)" at the beginning of an item with customized description.

Can we keep it as discreet as possible? It already makes me cringe to see OOC - Altering the appearance of this item will do something bad... or whatever on items, because people are to stupid to realize that a description about the items appearance grants something logical special quality's. It's lowering the tone.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »
People already godmode on their biographies, are we going to really limit the potential of what players can do because of a few bad apples?

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 03:43:12 PM »
If people insist on a "Made by <name>" footnote, then I agree with keeping it as discreet as possible, but I don't think it's really needed at all.

It sounds like a great idea to expand on this feature, seen this on other servers and it seemed to be a success there as well.
You can't edit the stats or qualities of the item, so the worst that can happen is an item with a poorly written description. Easy to ignore.

I think this can create a ton of RP opportunity. And players that "godmode on their biographies" should never be seen as the norm.
(Besides, that is also a differen matter entirely. People can write "LOL" with built campfires, doesn't mean that is a bad server feature either.)

Honoun

• Dark Lord
  • Happy Rainy Days
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2014, 05:16:11 PM »
I might be missing something but I don't see the issue of being able to add custom descriptions to items. I understand that there is concern that some might abuse the system by adding a description that does not match the item itself. Well so what? Thats just the description, would not the item stats tell a different story anyway? I mean, some one might alter a regular leather bag to have the description of a bag of holding, but anyone astute enough to look will notice that the bag doesn't have any weight reduction, IC wise a character can test this by realising that no matter what they put in it the bag actually gets heavier something they know it shouldn't do. Same goes with any other item, you can give it any description you like and it can be outrageous to the extreme but the stats of the item will be the telling factor on whether the person is trying to sell you a fake or not. Of course the identified flag would have to be turned on for these items otherwise, well I can see the issue then ;)

dark_majico

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2014, 04:13:33 AM »
I tried fiddling some with it - the Pick Target still doesn't show up on your special abilities menu, right?

To item containers or any item?

Ideally, we could give players the option of renaming and adding new descriptions to every item, but it would be easy to exploit to make things appear as something else (which can then be used for fooling people to buy items.) That may to an extend be considered part of the roleplay too, but for now, I'm more comfortable first of all getting it to work on bags and then see how that goes.

Can we extend it to boxes? Inventory management can be tricky.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2014, 01:16:05 PM »
Can we extend it to boxes? Inventory management can be tricky.

I'm not sure how easy this is to implement, but perhaps it's an idea to allow this feature on anything labelled as a "Container" item?
(Boxes, baskets, briefcases, backpacks, chests, etc. I don't think any of them have stats, so potential abuse should not be a factor.)

NecropolisV

• Undead Master
  • ~Dragons, Dragons, Dragons!~
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 04:13:50 AM »
Le bump? is the feat going to be fixed anytime soon? :D Also in reference to people misnaming things... Its actually rather simple.. Anyone can call something it isn't. "Man believe me this is a bag of holding!!!" someone can call it that but just as easily its up to the viewer to know whether its a lie or not (Basically the stats which will make it rather obvious) so what if someone wants to call their bag a bag of holding, its just a name... Its what it does thats important!
Currently Playing: Maloryn X'angondur

Closured:
Markus Shadebane, Adrian Von Viklov, Vincent Zolokorov, Adam, Ambrose De'Korban, Akin, Velindilieth Asuranaeh,