Author Topic: The Book of Za'am  (Read 24914 times)

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
  • The Red Academy of Hazlan
Re: The Book of Za'am
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »
Entry 24

Months have past since my dealings with that poor gypsy girl and her fiend. I can think clearly now and I am grateful to have lived through that experience alive and intact. Dispite the dangers I feel the knowledge gained shall be invaluable to my research and academic progression.

An old class mate of mine has arrived in Barovia. Seems poor Ossur ran into some trouble at the Academy and was dismissed. His training has been severely limited and I have agreed to complete his arcane education.

It's an amusing thought, I have an apprentice.

Nazara Xethos - "House Za'am is as contagious as Lycanthropy. Get afflicted."

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 01:44:01 PM »
Entry 25

Dreaming…. Dark horrible things have haunted my sleeping mind. I fight to stay awake yet the heavy devil of slumber seems to always claim victory.

I have made contact with my apprentice, Ossur Hakim. He has taken my pervious instruction and evolved it into his own unique style. Ossur has merged spell with sword. I have heard of this tradition but I am yet sold upon the combat effectiveness. He has sacrificed some of his flexibility in the craft to support this crude martial skill. Time will tell how on how effective this proves to be.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2016, 02:03:17 PM »
Entry 26

A chance encounter at the Mist Camp has presented an old alley of mine. The sell sword Rand Browning, who in fact saved my life in that nightmare realm called Bluetspar.

Sir Rand confirmed my suspicions that Lord Gunnar and Lady Sasha had indeed expired as a result of their dealings with that trickster fiend. It is a sad but very predictable outcome.  At Rand’s request I enchanted a pair of boots for him. I was only happy to repay the debt.

I wish him well and hope to continue our partnership.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2016, 10:42:34 AM »
Entry 27

While staying at the Mist Camp I received a letter form a gypsy currier.

March 17, 771
Dear friend:

It's been quite some time since we met at the University. How's everything? I hear you've become a master weapon's enchanter since I returned to Barovia to continue my research at Dr. Zarcroft's facility. I know you're a very busy man, but if you find some time in your active schedule, I'd like to show you a recent breakthrough in our research. I think you will be most impressed with what we have achieved here. Alas, I must admit it is not without interest that you're invited in the first place. We've hit a wall in a certain part of the investigation and think your expertise in magic might help us push through it.

If you're interested, you'll find me at Dr. Zarcroft's Asylum.

Sincerly yours,

Dr. Emanuel Gaspar.

I have replied as such and will keep a copy as a memorandum.
Met me at the Village of Barovia in two days.
-Z

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2016, 11:24:04 AM »
[A letter placed in between two pages]

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #30 on: August 26, 2016, 10:29:16 AM »
Entry 28

I have come full circle. After years aboard and studying in foreign lands I have come home to the Red Academy. The fear and abuse of my childhood washed away with the promise of forgotten and obscured occult knowledge. The thirst for power and influence is a potent intoxicant.

After a brief introduction and an effective display of what I have learned aboard Administrator Karavol has allowed me to hold a temporary position as a guest lecturer. I have been issued two sets of keys and assigned a laboratory with lodging.

I am expected to present a lecture upon the specifics and application of evocation. It is expected soon and my tenure hinges on my success.

Failure is not an option. I have work to begin!

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2016, 08:32:09 AM »
Entry 29

I have delivered my first lecture, Success! The lecture hall was filled with students, faculty and even a few guests. 
The first topic I chose was Evocation; Practical use and Application. I knew this topic would attract a crowd of young apprentices, I was indeed correct.

Despite the initial nervousness my lesson plan was thorough and well prepared. It surprised me how natural it felt lecturing to such a large crowd. Not even the question of a foreign guest distracted my attention. Once again, I was prepared and my curriculum was solid. 

Administrator Karavol was pleased with my instruction even paid me the compliment of being a “Natural”.

I have been granted tenure as an academy instructor and shall hence forth be allowed full rights and privileges afforded to the Red Academy of Halzan!

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2016, 08:34:35 AM »
Entry 30

In celebration of my new career I enjoyed a short walk from the academy to the city of Romulai. At the establishment of Zravev I met a curious individual, a colleague in fact. 

Instructor of Illusion is one Ipgahik Kelner. Curious fact regarding my new associate is that he is a gnome! It would appear that Lord Hazlik was so impressed with Ipgahik’s skill and knowledge within the discipline that he felt the need outweighed Ipgahik’s unfortunate circumstance of species.

Who am I to question a decision of the Great Red Wizard of Hazlan. Perhaps I am seeing a more liberal evolution of the academy. I wonder what other institutional changes are on the horizon.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 06:26:44 PM »
Entry 31

Travelling through the mist camp by chance I happened upon Mariska Lerch. Lady Mariska is known to me from a previous business transaction involving her employment with the Red Vardo Trading Company.  Lady Mariska just so happens to be a spell slinger of some repute. She is the current reigning champion of the annual University of Dementlieu sponsored Arcane Duel.

Inspiration struck me that perhaps the academy students would benefit from a demonstration of western core styled spell slinging.

I offered her a spot as a guest lecturer in my next seminar. Lady Mariska accepted immediately and with considerable enthusiasm. Though I explained that first I will need to get permission from the academy administration. I also agreed to cover the cost of her expenses and travel.

Following a pleasant conversation I offered Lady Mariska a tour of the academy.  She accepted and was most intrigued with our efforts to recreate the enchantment machine from Necroplis. She had many inquires of which I was most certain not to answer.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2016, 12:28:54 PM »
Entry 32

Searching the mountains for herbs and ingredients I chanced upon a most random site, a dead gnome under a rock. The poor little fool had the strangest of metal prosthetics substituting for his left arm and my curiosity demanded answers.

Though it was an expensive use of a scroll I returned him to life. He told me a great many interesting things.

He owes me a debt and shall serve for one year as my slave. I have given him one week to return to see his wife and settle up business matters. Then he shall return and begin fulfilling his contract.

My slave has a name, Perdiot Olivene.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2016, 05:51:29 PM »
Entry 33

Success! Administrator Karavol has granted permission to invite Lady Mariska Lerch as a guest lecturer. All we have now is to set up a schedule convenient for everyone and select a proper location.

He has also given me permission to seek out novice apprentices for selection in the next class at the academy. This is a great honor.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2016, 11:47:58 AM »
Entry 34: Assessment of Medea Frafu.

Subject: Human Female; ethnicity unknown. Age 20-30 years.

Origin: Outlander

Symptoms: Psychological aversion to vaporized moisture, “Grey Air” or “The Mists”.

The subject claims to possess a telepathic or empathic connection with an element she refers to as the mists. She claims to control similar abilities or powers as that of the native gypsy tribes of the vistani. The subject is unaware of any blood linage connecting her to the vistani and if her origin is to be believed than relation to the tribes of wanderers is unlikely.

The subject stated they often avoid collecting fog banks or mist shrouded areas. They claim an uneasy draw to it and have on certain occasions lost concentration and fallen into a dazed stupor.

My diagnosis is a psychological condition resulting in delusion and paranoia manifesting in anxiety, isolation, depression and mental fatigue.

Prescribed remedy is a diet low in red meat and high in leafy green vegetables, fruit and nuts. Avoid alcohol or other intoxicants. Avoid stressful situations. Full nights of at least 8 hours.

Follow up assessment in one week’s time to measure change or improvement of mental condition.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2016, 09:14:41 AM »
Entry 35

I have set my servant to work. His prosthetic is interesting but not nearly as curious as how it was acquired. That I shall have to investigate further.

My seminar on conjuration is next week. I have ordered my slave to distribute advertisements about the countryside. I am still debating the merit of placing an open invitation in the Mist Camp.

[a flyer is inserted within the page]

Spoiler: show

« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 04:22:31 PM by Alternate Account »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2016, 07:18:50 AM »
Entry 36

Something vexes me. Here I sit in a luxurious and expensive study furnished with near limitless resources at the principle pinacle of my career and yet... I sense a metaphoric shadowy threat lingering at the edge of the horizon. Doubt and paranoia, I feel foolish allowing such distractions to divide my thoughts.

I must remain focused and devote all of my energies into growing the academy and building upon this prestigious institution!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 04:23:13 PM by Alternate Account »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2016, 01:23:27 PM »
Entry 37

I now know what has been shadowing my thoughts and planting fears within my subconscious, it is Him!

He spoke to me last night in my dreams. He knows my black heart and he knows that which I crave! He promised me the one thing that I thirst for above all else.... Power!

I know his face, I know his stench, I know his name... Inajira!

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2016, 03:44:13 PM »
Entry 38

The conjuration seminar was well received. These lectures will go a long way in establishing a solid foundation of academic credibility. A small but attentive collection of participants attended the class.

Two guests of note, my associate Mariska Lerch of whom I am fast becoming fond of, and a new face, a man who gave the name of Vargas Rook. Mr. Rook asked several inquisitive questions and he displayed a keen mind on the subject.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2016, 05:38:50 PM »
Entry 39

The lecture on Arcane Dueling has concluded. Madame Lerch proved herself a natural in teaching. She is truly a master in the art of counterspell and magical combat. Her title is well earned.

My servant Perdiot has delivered an update on his research at the laboratory. His report does not match up to what Madame Lerch described. For his sake I hope he is not attempting to deceive me. That would end with unfortunate results on his part.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 05:36:58 PM »
Entry 40

I have received an application for admission today. Hashin Zulkir of House Tam. Hashin an ethnic mulan who claims his origin as Thaymount. I admit I am not familiar with this province but Hashin insisted it is along the northern border of Nova Vassa. I’ll have to check the atlas.

He past the examination in rudimentary arcane knowledge and displayed satisfactory proficiency in ritual and casting work. He is very fond of combat oriented fire and lightning invocations.

I have submitted a request to Administrator Karavol for his attendance. He shall be my very first apprentice here at the Red Academy.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2016, 05:58:09 PM by Alternate Account »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2016, 05:54:43 PM »
Entry 41

I covered a brief lesson in the arcane defense of counterspell with Hashin. He seemed eager and grasped the concept with relative ease. I have assigned him to practice with the other academy students. I will review his progress within a weeks time.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2016, 03:24:40 PM »
Entry 42

I have met a prospected apprentice of a colleague of mine. The man gave his name as Sargas of Thay. He wore sky blue robes and a matching hood. He refused to show his face instead hiding it behind an intricately carved and stylized mask.

He states he is under the employment of Conjuration Instructor Vibeke Tyllesen. Having no reason to doubt his claim I thought it to be in my interest to invite him to my office for a brief chat.

Sargas seems to be from a place very similar to Hazlan. He gave his ethnicity as mulani, though under that mask and hood I could not confirm his claim. He said he has been travelling the Core for some two decades. In that time he has lost knowledge of the mother tongue, though Professor Tyllesen has ordered him to remember it, his application to the academy hinges upon this.

He has some fascinating theories regarding our two parallel but different cultures and nationalities. He has proposed an interesting hypothesis. I’ll need some time to reflect on what this strange man has said.

Also he claims to know my slave, Perdiot. Sargas seems to think my property has a notion of escaping my custody. That a foreign knight has been planting treasonous thoughts in his little black mind. Wouldn't that be unfortunate form my little pet.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2016, 03:29:21 PM by Alternate Account »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2016, 03:26:23 PM »
[A letter tucked in between two pages]

Instructor Za'am,

A "Mainane Smith" of Barovia wishes to avail herself of the Academy's knowledge. She has paid a generous sum of coin for the pleasure. Her questions center around knowledge of a devil lord of another plane. Your recent lecture upon conjuration impressed me with your competence; I do not often involve others in my work, but I extend invitation to you and your apprentice.

I propose we bind a devil to answer her questions. This may be elucidating for all involved.

Vibeke Tyllesen,
Instructor of Conjuration.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2016, 05:07:59 PM »
Entry 44

Perdiot’s monstrous little experiment has garnered more attention that I had first thought. It would appear my little friend has indeed hidden certain details from me. Reports seem to state that a crystal was acting as the subject’s source of animation.

A group of nosey foreign doo-gooders has been seen combing the shadow wood investigating this undead-tree. I do hope they haven’t discovered my secret laboratory, or at worst broken anything within.

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2016, 01:36:12 PM »
Entry 45

What a fascinating session. At the behest of my colleague and esteem professor of conjuration, Vibeke Tyllesen I have agreed to aid a foreigner. One Mainane Smith. Lady Smith seems to suffer from a severe diagnosis of amnesia.

She also has a curious pattern of sigils, equations and brands covering her body in a spiraling counter clockwise fashion. I examined the brands and have deciphered them as Infernal. One phrase repeated a hundred times over “Praise to Mammon”.

My research notes have revealed that this name refers to the baatezu lord, Arch Duke Mammon, Lord of Avarice and Greed, The Ruler of the Third Layer of Hell.

Lady Smith sought answers to the marks she now bares. She claims to have no knowledge to the how or why she now carries these brands. In fact she claims to have no knowledge of her life prior to arriving in the country of Barovia over a year ago.

To directly answer Lady Smith’s questions I deducted that going straight to the source would be the most prudent course of action. Vibeke agreed.

Within the secured walls of the summoning pit I concentrated my focus upon the name of Lady Smith’s tormentor. I knew I had not the will power to summon the Arch Duke himself, though I wagered that one of his minions would find the call irresistible.

A pit fiend who named itself as Thur’arok the Deceptive manifested within the circle. I established the command of conjuration and set about the proper wards. Lady Smith asked her questions. The fiend offered no solution and revealed little of her inquiry. Instead the devil offered her a contract. Lady Smith declined. I was disappointed.

After the ritual I retired to my chamber with Lady Smith and continued to examine the strange tattoos. I was unable to dispel them. I failed to remove whatever curse lay upon her memory. I also failed to hypnotize the foreign woman.

I am intrigue by this woman's condition and I consider this a unique opportunity to learn more regarding outsiders and the lower planes. Whatever aliment this woman suffers from is currently beyond my comprehension and skill. Though I am resolute that with research and experimentation her secrets shall be made known.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 01:39:25 PM by Alternate Account »

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2016, 01:50:57 PM »
Entry 46

Concluding my consultation with Adminstrator Karavol, I have submitted an official proposal to the royal estate of Veneficus, addressed to Lord Hazlik himself.

I have decided to make the gamble. My intentions are twofold. One, the wise Arch Mage of Hazlan may shed more light upon Lady Smith’s condition and mystery. Second I hope that by presenting an unique gift such as this will earn me some reward of prestige and further advancement within the academy.

Time will tell if this will prove a beneficial decision.

[A copy of a letter has been folded and placed within this journal entry]

Administrator Karavol,

The test subject Mainane Smith is a mortal woman who suffers from some fashion of magical amnesia. Her body has been marked in a series of complicated runes and signals which I have deciphered as infernal in origin. The translation of which is "Praise Mammon".

The brands are resistant to all forms of dispel and magical alterations. This woman is a truly unique specimen and It is my belief that our lord and benefactor might hold interest in experimenting with this subject.

v/r

Professor Mentalos Za'am

Mentalos Za'am

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #49 on: November 21, 2016, 09:05:13 AM »
Entry 47