Author Topic: Blackguards [Balance Discussion]  (Read 9326 times)

FinalHeaven

• Ba'al Verzi
  • The Underworld
  • Dark Power
  • dat boi
Re: Blackguards [Balance Discussion]
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2019, 08:51:22 PM »
If the option is to give Hide as a class skill rather than remove it as a requirement then it definitely makes sense to add Move Silently as well.  This would actually make for some neat Blackguard concepts.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2019, 09:09:54 PM »
I will go out on a limb and assume MS will be included with it, since Hide on its own is virtually useless?

No plans to add it, no.

qwertyuioppp

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2019, 09:40:29 PM »
I will go out on a limb and assume MS will be included with it, since Hide on its own is virtually useless?

Uh, sorry to interrupt, but I want to draw attention to this because it's somewhat incorrect. You can make an entirely viable character that uses only Hide in corner-stealthing. This would beat most encounters. For all other situations, you can flee (this actually fits blackguard as an anti-paladin, since paladins should not flee). Ipso facto, pavel, read a book and read the character description.

Pav

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Dark Power
  • Heard it all before, pal.
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2019, 09:43:43 PM »

No plans to add it, no.

Ok.

Uh, sorry to interrupt, but I want to draw attention to this because it's somewhat incorrect. You can make an entirely viable character that uses only Hide in corner-stealthing. This would beat most encounters. For all other situations, you can flee (this actually fits blackguard as an anti-paladin, since paladins should not flee). Ipso facto, pavel, read a book and read the character description.

You're right, I'm sorry. What was I thinking?

Danuvis

• Outlander
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2019, 06:17:36 AM »
We all misstep, Pav, it's quite alright. Looking forward to seeing your corner-stealthing vampire blackguard, buddy.
Calehan Nemesk - "I can nay longer wait for an absolution that will ne'er come."

Thaelandriel Ni'tessine - "It is the duty of every living being to nurture and preserve life."

Daboomer

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2019, 06:34:35 AM »
Do not worry, i am sending in a request to have more corners IG.

EO

• Assistant Head DM/Developer
  • Head DMs
  • Dark Power
  • The one and only, the one everyone wants to be!
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2019, 09:31:49 AM »
With the changes to fallen paladins, I've been able to implement this from PnP (and Ravenloft) for fallen paladins who become blackguards:

FALLEN PALADINS:
Blackguards who possess levels of paladin (that is to say, are now ex-paladins) gain extra abilities the more levels of paladin they possess. Those who have tasted the light of goodness and justice and turned away make the foulest villains.

Fallen paladins who become blackguards gain all of the following abilities that apply, according to the number of paladin levels the character has:

1: Smite Good - Smite good 1/day (in addition to the ability granted to all blackguards at level 2).
3: Lay on Hands - Can heal damage to self equal to class level multiplied by Charisma modifier.
5: Sneak Attack damage increased by 1d6.
    Smite good 2/day.
7: Greater Fiendish Servant - Summon a more powerful variation of the Fiendish Servant.
9: Create Greater Undead - Once per day, the blackguard can use the spell Create Greater Undead to bring forth a powerful undead ally.
   Smite good 3/day.

Additionally, the Dark Powers pay special attention to paladins who fall from grace and remain unrepentant of their sins. Ex-paladins who have failed at least one powers check can become blackguards much more easily than members of any other class. In effect, the Dark Powers remove all obstacles from their descent into darkness. The only criteria an ex-paladin who has failed at least one powers check must fulfill to qualify to become a blackguard are the following:

Alignment: Any evil.
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Lore 2 ranks.

Fallen paladins who have not failed powers checks must fulfill regular requirements to become a blackguard.