You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Organizations, establishments, institutions and societies present in Ravenloft  (Read 26891 times)

Budly

• Dark Power
Nerull? Erlin? Why is this such an arguement?

It shouldn't be, the original poster already added the organisation to the list many, many posts ago.

Organisations that have been made official lore on this specific server may as well be on the list anyhow.
This would include the Cult of Nerull / Erlin, as well as the Erudite Society, but there are no doubt more.

Then Wayfarer should be on it aswell.

Feronius

• Dark Power

It shouldn't be, the original poster already added the organisation to the list many, many posts ago.

Organisations that have been made official lore on this specific server may as well be on the list anyhow.
This would include the Cult of Nerull / Erlin, as well as the Erudite Society, but there are no doubt more.

The Society of the Erudite (Dementlieu), The Wayfarer's Kinship (Barovia), The Sewer Dwellers (Barovia)

I think those are the only supported organisations which are viewed as official lore on this server that haven't been named on the list already.
Not counting the guard factions, since in that case you could list a guard or militia group for every town / city / province in each of the domains.

Budly

• Dark Power

The Society of the Erudite (Dementlieu), The Wayfarer's Kinship (Barovia), The Sewer Dwellers (Barovia)

I think those are the only supported organisations which are viewed as official lore on this server that haven't been named on the list already.
Not counting the guard factions, since in that case you could list a guard or militia group for every town / city / province in each of the domains.

Why Sewer Dwellers? If so, is Deganwy on the list? Haven't checked it yet.

Feronius

• Dark Power

Because the Sewer Dwellers are the criminal organisation of caliban and other outcasts that lurk in Vallaki's sewers.
However, the Drain or Degannwy would not be on the list. Since they are not organisations, but settlements / places.

Just ask yourself, does this group have membership? In almost all cases that tells you whether it is an organisation or not.

Clans, tribes, minority groups, notable families, noble houses and small business ventures seem to be purposely left off the list.
If Degannwy is an actual society with membership it probably belongs on the list, but I don't think they are that kind of society.

swbf2lord

The OP is only putting stuff from the books, not server canon, afaik.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
He's the reason why there's rules in place for not taking NPCs out dungeoning. It's not so they can tank, it's because the NPCs level and then things get weird.
Yeah and then they start submitting DM apps. Thats when shit gets really werid.

Blue.
Actly Strahb.

Budly

• Dark Power

Because the Sewer Dwellers are the criminal organisation of caliban and other outcasts that lurk in Vallaki's sewers.
However, the Drain or Degannwy would not be on the list. Since they are not organisations, but settlements / places.

Just ask yourself, does this group have membership? In almost all cases that tells you whether it is an organisation or not.

Clans, tribes, minority groups, notable families, noble houses and small business ventures seem to be purposely left off the list.
If Degannwy is an actual society with membership it probably belongs on the list, but I don't think they are that kind of society.

Well can't add everyones little homebrew faction on the list. Deganwy probably got a elven like faction to or much similar to the Drain.

Badelaire

Repeating myself here but I'm only adding things present in the books. I'm not adding in-house creations. Some more domains up and most of the faiths and the locals dispositions to them have been updated. Will be revisiting a lot of the adventure modules for information on things present in Domains outside the Core.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
Could the title of the original post be altered to reflect that these are organizations in the setting specifically?

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Are you adding any organizations that aren't in the books?
: )

Theorem Of Neutrality

• Undead Master
  • It Do

You're trolling, right?
Zivon de'Scusa - The Core's best Doctor Doom cosplayer since 752.

swbf2lord

OMG BAHAMUT!

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Couldn't resist.  :lol:
: )

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com

Well can't add everyones little homebrew faction on the list. Deganwy probably got a elven like faction to or much similar to the Drain.
Degannwy is not a faction and never has been, nor will it become one in the future.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Budly

• Dark Power

Degannwy is not a faction and never has been, nor will it become one in the future.

I say it fit on a list non the less. If you put Drain and other settlements on it. But as Badelaire said. No use arguing when its only CANON things from the books going up and not our homebrewed mish mashes.

Badelaire

Could the title of the original post be altered to reflect that these are organizations in the setting specifically?

I honestly don't know how much simpler I could convey the point of the thread across. I thought it was pretty much self-explanatory. They are things in Ravenloft. Ravenloft is the setting. It is in the Ravenloft discussion section. The section that is labelled thusly:

Ravenloft discussion
The setting that's used. Share info, ideas, knowledge, misconceptions and lies ad libitum. This section is only for discussing the Ravenloft campaign setting, it is not for discussing server issues or feedback on the module.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???

I honestly don't know how much simpler I could convey the point of the thread across. I thought it was pretty much self-explanatory. They are things in Ravenloft. Ravenloft is the setting. It is in the Ravenloft discussion section. The section that is labelled thusly:

Ravenloft discussion
The setting that's used. Share info, ideas, knowledge, misconceptions and lies ad libitum. This section is only for discussing the Ravenloft campaign setting, it is not for discussing server issues or feedback on the module.

You could toss "Canon" at the front of the title.

Badelaire

The following is a list of various organizations, establishments, institutions and societies present in source book canon. It does not include server canon, fanon, homebrew or anything else otherwise not readily available with clever use of google and key words.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
Please that's a whole two sentences, do you really think people are going to read all that?

Badelaire

Please that's a whole two sentences, do you really think people are going to read all that?

Can I commission you to come up with some sort of informative collage of images to try and relate that information then? Perhaps with bright neon colours and CAPITAL LETTERS FOR EMPHASIS? I can pay you in conflict diamonds or US$10000000. I will need your bank account details in order to transfer those funds though. I am a Nigerian Prince so these funds are difficult to move overseas.

P.s. Buttercats are optional.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
Thread necromancy for archival purposes to avoid the purge.

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Reading the list, I noticed the information about Forlorn is incorrect. Forfarmax may well be settled by Forfarians and bordering Forlorn, but it is located in Hazlan. Only the Oak (praying to Dagdha) and the Rowan (praying to Belenus) druidic factions are active in Forlorn. All others leave the Goblyns infested wasteland well alone as much as possible.

As the original poster of the thread is no longer among us. Would anyone object if I edit it with the following info instead?

FORLORN
The Oak - Druidic faction worshipping Dagdha. They believe that the balance of nature is served by bringing back creatures of good into Forlorn.
The Rowan - Druidic faction worshipping Belenus. They believe that the balance of nature is served by culling the evil in the domain.

Hazlan
[...]
Forfarian Pantheon - Large resurgence of worship of the old (Celtic) gods in Forfarmax (a Forfarian settlement bordering Forlorn). Few actual priests.
Cult of the Morninglord -  Introduced in Forfarmax by travelling clerics from Barovia. Welcomed, though most still follow the old gods.
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.