Author Topic: Organizations, establishments, institutions and societies present in Ravenloft  (Read 26892 times)

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
I did not see the Erudite Society on there. Is it not a canon faction?

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
He's the reason why there's rules in place for not taking NPCs out dungeoning. It's not so they can tank, it's because the NPCs level and then things get weird.
Yeah and then they start submitting DM apps. Thats when shit gets really werid.

Is that where Heretic came from? I always had my suspicion, he always seemed a bit too intimate with the setting.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
OFF: please dont use blue colour to write or put emphasis on your sentences. It is unreadable on HD monitor with the red background. (I know i can use the post reply etc to make it readable, but still please do not use it)

As On: The list is quite good.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Budly

• Dark Power
The way the Church of Nerull is represented on the server. Is seemingly close to how the Fifth heresy was represented.

Not canon.

EDIT: Also, would you people mind showing Badelaire some respect for doing this work? Make another thread for arguing over this rather insignificant problem.

Elfric

• Dark Power
[Facepalm] I offer you proof of what's canon and Blue' deliberately making it fanon for the server.  Nerull Cult is a fanon bastardization of the in-canon cult.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Geiger

Guys, we all have different ideas on whats what. There might be a "de-facto", please keep it calm, and make it a little less personal.

There is no need for it. This is a game. Remember that!  :mrgreen:

DM Stygian Witch

• Read books, not tablets!
  • Dungeon Masters
  • Dark Power
  • I love Vecna more than the Morninglord!
He's the reason why there's rules in place for not taking NPCs out dungeoning. It's not so they can tank, it's because the NPCs level and then things get weird.
Yeah and then they start submitting DM apps. Thats when shit gets really werid.

Is that where Heretic came from? I always had my suspicion, he always seemed a bit too intimate with the setting.
You guessed it. Thats why he has no soul.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul. You have a body.
C.S. Lewis.

Troukk

• Dark Power
[Facepalm] I offer you proof of what's canon and Blue' deliberately making it fanon for the server.  Nerull Cult is a fanon bastardization of the in-canon cult.

Is Domains of Dread considered Canon? Because they refer to the gundarakite deity as "Nerull".

EDIT: And I don't know why people make such a big deal about the DM Team making Emanuel higher than lvl 4. If he has a higher level here, I'm guessing that is for functionality purposes. Ravenloft is a setting that is designed for low level characters. Proof of that is that most DARKLORDS in this setting are under level 10. Yet this server is plagued with high level PCs either because they're dungeon grinders or because they've lived a lot. It makes sense to put the NPCs up to the level of the players, especially if they get involved in storylines.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 11:20:07 PM by Troukk »
Not all who wander are lost.

Dread

• Dark Power
The two names are more or less interchangeable, IMO. Erlin is simply a bastardization of Nerull's name, which they introduced only because of White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast having a nasty break-up.

Elfric

• Dark Power
[Facepalm] I offer you proof of what's canon and Blue' deliberately making it fanon for the server.  Nerull Cult is a fanon bastardization of the in-canon cult.

Is Domains of Dread considered Canon? Because they refer to the gundarakite deity as "Nerull".

You mean this....?

The people of the domain of Gundarak once held a distorted version of Nerull (who they call Erlin) as their primary deity, though since that domain was conquered by Strahd of Barovia, they have begun to embrace the faith of a benevolent deity called the Morninglord instead.

Giving the Domain of Dread makes SEVEN domains related to Greyhawk, it more or less seems like fishing to mix it with traditional DnD campaigns and move it away from Gothic Horror.

Edit: So that's what this is all confusion about? Geeze...
which they introduced only because of White Wolf and Wizards of the Coast having a nasty break-up.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
The point is that calling the Nerull cult such in game when it was run by Gundaraks is technically an acultural slip-up. Jupiter and Zeus were two names for the same deity in the Greco-Roman pantheon, but Romans would call him Jupiter and Greeks would call him Zeus. Thus it's a little jarring when the Gundaraks call Nerull by that name instead of Erlin.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Mayvind

• Red Academy
  • Dark Lord
  • I won't Bite
How can this thread turn into Religion discussion and correctness of canon .. and which book .. or bible is the correct one ? By Jupiter's Co.. !

Theorem Of Neutrality

• Undead Master
  • It Do
This is a wonderful collection, Badelaire. Thank you for compiling this and the common sayings in your other thread.

Edit: You just had to make your name close to Baudelaire, didn't you?
Zivon de'Scusa - The Core's best Doctor Doom cosplayer since 752.

Budly

• Dark Power

EDIT: And I don't know why people make such a big deal about the DM Team making Emanuel higher than lvl 4. If he has a higher level here, I'm guessing that is for functionality purposes. Ravenloft is a setting that is designed for low level characters. Proof of that is that most DARKLORDS in this setting are under level 10. Yet this server is plagued with high level PCs either because they're dungeon grinders or because they've lived a lot. It makes sense to put the NPCs up to the level of the players, especially if they get involved in storylines.

For being a server who want to keep close to the canon? Yes it is important.

You, yourself have a high level wizard right?

The Darklords will vary in level and power but the most powerful is also around 15-20. Of course there will be lower levelled dark lords when they are ghosts siting in a house or politicians siting on their rears in a chair!  :P

It is a bit like with Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Same god, diffrent names.

Chronox

• Undead Master
  • "I Hate Qwerty" Club Vice-President
This is a wonderful collection, Badelaire. Thank you for compiling this and the common sayings in your other thread.

I'll echo this. It's helped some noobs and older folks already! 
I Play:

Ceryn
Arryn Moorlight

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
Emanuel is level FOUR, not whatever high level Talek made him.
Dungeon grinder.

nearly spilled my drink  :lol:

also MAYBE just maybe it is a good idea to snap this topic into 2 parts.
1 with the info.
2 for the discussion.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Feronius

• Dark Power
The discussion isn't even on topic, most of it has very little to do with the purpose of this thread.
It's just a seperate lore discussion. And the thread itself isn't in the right place to begin with either.

If people wish to reply, it should be limited to suggestions of organisations that are missing, period.

And I think the Erudite Society was originally player-created, but I am not sure about that at all.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:10:53 AM by Feronius »

Dread

• Dark Power
It was created by EO around the same time that Dementlieu came into being, to serve as a [censored] for [redacted].

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
It was created by EO around the same time that Dementlieu came into being, to serve as a [censored] for [redacted].

Oh, I love these!

It was created by EO around the same time that Dementlieu came into being, to serve as a discotheque for mimes.
: )

OITF

• Undead Slayer
  • The Stormlord
The Lock and Key - A Richemoluise cabal of masked Caliban watchmen, known for their strict code of honor and justice.

This sounds cool.

I demand more info.
ʏᴏᴜʀ ғɪɢʜᴛ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ, ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ.

Elfric

• Dark Power

For being a server who want to keep close to the canon? Yes it is important.

You, yourself have a high level wizard right?

The Darklords will vary in level and power but the most powerful is also around 15-20. Of course there will be lower levelled dark lords when they are ghosts siting in a house or politicians siting on their rears in a chair!  :P

It is a bit like with Christianity, Islam and Judaism. Same god, diffrent names.

I would also like to point out Strahd is, in canon, level 4 ftr/16 Necr. Now I don't know what he is on the server, but if Emanuel is at or beyond him in power... Then something must be done to drop him to normal levels.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 12:41:12 PM by Elfric »

Badelaire

I always regarded there to be 2 types of canon. Source canon, the foundation on which a campaign, server or session is built on. The second is personal canon or, in the case of NWN, server canon. This is the events and history of an ongoing campaign that reflect the DM's direction and the resultant actions of the characters within. In Ravenloft, the PC's power is only as strong as his/her group.

If you tried taking on the adventures solo you'd die horribly and very quickly. High end characters were roughly level 12 which was on par with many of the dark lords although naturally they had the advantage of their powers within their domain over the player. If all NPC's were as their P&P counterparts then a great many current PC's on PotM could just breeze through them without a hint of a challenge. Canon is something to build on, not a crutch to keep hobbling on every time something new is created or altered.

The main point of this thread was to detail the world's protagonistic/antagonistic/indifferent groupings, places of learning both secret and open (because the world of Ravenloft is not all ignorance and fear as many might think) and flesh out a bit more detail to people's knowledge of the sorts of things out there in the setting.

I only added referable material and not groups created on the server. There is plenty of information on those in the player and supported factions threads, Wayfarer and Society of the Erudites being two such in-house creations. I mostly referred to the Gazeteers and some of the adventure modules and support supplements.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
About the Nerull/Erlin thing: it was always supposed to be Nerull, as established by Domains of Dread. When the Ravenloft setting was licensed to White Wolf, they were under the mistaken impression that they couldn't reference other D&D settings so they changed the names of deities such as Bane and Nerull (and even gave Soth a nickname ).  They later found out that this was unnecessary. We made the decision to stick with the original names because of this. We came up with the explanation that "Erlin" is a Balok mispronunciation of Nerull.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Budly

• Dark Power
Nerull? Erlin? Why is this such an arguement?

Feronius

• Dark Power
Nerull? Erlin? Why is this such an arguement?

It shouldn't be, the original poster already added the organisation to the list many, many posts ago.

Organisations that have been made official lore on this specific server may as well be on the list anyhow.
This would include the Cult of Nerull / Erlin, as well as the Erudite Society, but there are no doubt more.