Author Topic: Old characters  (Read 1440 times)

Nurlithion

• Undead Slayer
  • Player name: gfgfgfgfgf
Old characters
« on: January 22, 2014, 12:52:39 PM »
So I've been playing for a few days now, and while I'm logging in under my old nickname, I haven't seen my old characters - I had a quite extensive list, which has now only the three new ones I made.

It doesn't bother me - I want to play only new characters anyway, and it always bothered me that characters weren't deleted here, and that I had to hunt around in the huge list - but someone might be running around with my old characters, which does bother me a bit, and probably means they don't have much goodwill towards the server.

Maybe it's related to me having new CD keys, as I bought the game from GOG to come back? My login is gfgfgfgfgf, if anyone want to check this out. To be clear, if you figure it out, I'd rather not have the old list of characters back, but it might be a bug you want to look at.

Cheers!
Soren d'Deneith - Eberronian human two-bladed swashbuckler, headstrong but good-hearted and strong of arm.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Old characters
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 12:54:35 PM »
A while back, all characters that hadn't been logged into for over 6 months were backed up to free up space on the server.  I do agree though, I wish there was some way for me to clear up my character list sometimes.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:00:49 PM »
Me too! My character vault is a mess.

TornFear

• Crit-Magnet
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 01:58:01 PM »
Agreed!

However, there is one or two "oldies but goldies" I wouldn't mind having back.

On the flip side of the coin, I can see why they don't have the option of self-deleting characters. There is bound to be someone who will abuse the power.

"why yes I did kill your character, steal your bagillion gold coins and your super fancy weapon. . .Now to delete my troll toon and watch you weep so I may sup upon your sorrow"

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 02:04:08 PM »
Agreed!

However, there is one or two "oldies but goldies" I wouldn't mind having back.

On the flip side of the coin, I can see why they don't have the option of self-deleting characters. There is bound to be someone who will abuse the power.

"why yes I did kill your character, steal your bagillion gold coins and your super fancy weapon. . .Now to delete my troll toon and watch you weep so I may sup upon your sorrow"

I thought of things like that and potential work-arounds like requiring first that the character has had a password on it for at least a week and putting a delay on the character deletion for cases exactly like what you said above.  I stopped thinking about it long ago though, because I figured it wasn't a system they were going to implement, given all the potential troubles. However, if there's a character you want back, I think you can possibly send a request for them. As I understand it, the characters weren't deleted outright, they were backed-up to another hard-drive.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 02:14:59 PM »
That type of abuse has nothing to do with a character deleting system, you can also achieve that by just dumping all the items in a trash barrel.
A character deletion system where you can only delete your own characters and have to verify the command doesn't have much potential abuse.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 02:29:38 PM »
If there are specific chars you want back. You just need to contact Zarathustra/Søren

Nurlithion

• Undead Slayer
  • Player name: gfgfgfgfgf
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2014, 03:30:19 PM »
I don't, I like it better like this; just pointed it out in case it was a bug. Thanks for the answers!
Soren d'Deneith - Eberronian human two-bladed swashbuckler, headstrong but good-hearted and strong of arm.