Author Topic: Crafting - Is it worth it?  (Read 11306 times)

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
Crafting - Is it worth it?
« on: January 16, 2014, 01:52:04 AM »
Heya.

I am curious if it's only me or crafting (blacksmithhing, leatherworking, woodworking) is really slow or I am doing something wrong. My toon have a +5 modifier in all these, but I struggle from getting from one level to the other. Disheartening to waste real life hours just go get a few hundred points in crafting xp (Mass producing copper bolts and knives).

If there was some non-crafting xp added to the process, I'd be more inviting to do the crafts. Or if the xp curve of advancing in these less popular crafts would become a bit faster.

I have seen smithes peddling metal wares (steel variety) for 2-300-ish. It takes a lot of time, to reach that level, and that is not much coin you can make with it.
Crafting atm feeling terribly off balance for me. (been around for quite some time, always practiced some kind of craft. Literally have wasted RL weeks/monthcrafting all in all, and it never really added to RP neither)

« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 02:02:44 AM by Winter83 »

The Perfect Circle: The Hollow : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avgiqNapUx0

Dread

• Dark Power
Re: Crafting - Does it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 01:56:54 AM »
Blacksmithing is, by far, the most tedious craft to work in. You're going to be invaluable when you can actually produce steel and silver-gilded weapons, but that's going to be a while off.

Sinful_Wishes

• Undead Slayer
Re: Crafting - Does it worth it?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 02:01:31 AM »
Blacksmithing is, by far, the most tedious craft to work in. You're going to be invaluable when you can actually produce steel and silver-gilded weapons, but that's going to be a while off.

I dunno, Leatherworking out of my experience is the worst as far as time goes.. and.. most of the leathers don't do anything until you enchant them.
Oswald: I vanted a bag of traps, but all I got vas genitals.
Ophelia: I got Osvald's bag of traps, now I'm forever encumberedt.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
Re: Crafting - Is it worth it?
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 02:32:20 AM »
Xp gain is dependent on the items your smithing. Small items and bolts hardly net anything.  Your better producing items such as long swords and great swords for leveling the craft. I have two black smiths capable of doing steel work and the above method cost me about 3 -4 days depending on luck.

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:37:57 AM »
what about woodworking ? I started a toon who focus on bowcrafting for a RP purpose but OOC I never seen good bow...Does it worth it?

I was wondering as well if crafting tiped arrow's (enchanted or bonus) is woodworking or smithing?

Jeune Bérurier!

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 03:00:07 AM »
Two general themes that should help:

The more components an item requires to make, the more experience it will be worth.

The more the item's template costs, the more experience it will be worth.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 03:09:18 AM »
what about woodworking ? I started a toon who focus on bowcrafting for a RP purpose but OOC I never seen good bow...Does it worth it?

I was wondering as well if crafting tiped arrow's (enchanted or bonus) is woodworking or smithing?

We can craft up to +6 mighty and +2 attack bonus certain alignments depending on skill and materials.
As for the crafted arrows it requires a time consuming process of mastering smithing. Alchemy. Wood working to get the finished product.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:08 AM »
or knowing a smith who can craft your arrowheads for you.

And I know a guy who leveled blacksmithing during NCW and was arming people with steel weaponry and armour within 3 days. It requires gold, time and material. It should go faster now that you have more access to carbon based materials to make steel.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 03:45:04 AM »
Oh wow. Upping smithing within 3 days to steel? oO I was afraid I'd need to burn my playing time for another month or so. :shock:

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 04:06:28 AM »
That requires alot of time, money and easy access to resources. If I remember he had a group feeding him resources. He was part of the Samurai faction

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 09:26:54 AM »
I've only got significant experience with leatherworking so far, but only until like level 7 or so I think?
Then again, I have no idea what is considered a high crafting level or what the max is supposed to be.

But no, I don't think leveling a craft is generally worth it. It takes absolutely ages to make any significant progress.
I pretty much gave up on my craft because it was a tedious grind with little indication of any progression being made.
Besides that you can also opt to hand in hides at the Vistani camp and make much more gold in a much easier way.
(And with that gold you can simply buy the better equipment instead of spending days more grinding for them.)

I think the only reason herbalism doesn't feel like a drag as much is because you don't have to go out of your way for it.
There is no need to kill mobs or to even stray far from the roads to level up herbalism, nor does it encumber you easily.

P.S. There was also a guy who had a character above level 7 within a NCW, which is just insane. That isn't the norm.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:38:04 AM »
Those that say 3 days do mean 3 days. Not possible when you play 2 hours a day
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 10:55:48 AM »
Well yes, this player was on constantly. So I assume atleast 15 hours each days in the 3 days it took them

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 11:06:04 AM »
When you say 3 days, most people assume 3 IRL days. Not 3 days of playtime or over 72 hours.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 11:16:32 AM »
It was 3 real life days. Not 3 days of playtime. Some people play more than is healthy

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:14 AM »

We can craft up to +6 mighty and +2 attack bonus certain alignments depending on skill and materials.
As for the crafted arrows it requires a time consuming process of mastering smithing. Alchemy. Wood working to get the finished product.

thank you! I see that ''bowcrafting'' does worth it since the low amount of magical bow on the server.

Jeune Bérurier!

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 12:57:44 PM »
I've only got significant experience with leatherworking so far, but only until like level 7 or so I think?
Then again, I have no idea what is considered a high crafting level or what the max is supposed to be.

But no, I don't think leveling a craft is generally worth it. It takes absolutely ages to make any significant progress.
I pretty much gave up on my craft because it was a tedious grind with little indication of any progression being made.
Besides that you can also opt to hand in hides at the Vistani camp and make much more gold in a much easier way.
(And with that gold you can simply buy the better equipment instead of spending days more grinding for them.)

I think the only reason herbalism doesn't feel like a drag as much is because you don't have to go out of your way for it.
There is no need to kill mobs or to even stray far from the roads to level up herbalism, nor does it encumber you easily.

P.S. There was also a guy who had a character above level 7 within a NCW, which is just insane. That isn't the norm.

I think that and the products are instantly useful. Herbalism and alchemy are the only two crafts where you arent throwing the bulk of your creations in the bin.

Winter83

• Dark Lord
  • 100% Ranger
    • The hunter's query
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »
A bonus cxp for each crafter item would make crafting less tedious, and does not warrant that players will suddenly overwhelm the market with crafted goods.

It would punish less the dedicated crafters who sacrifice their playtime for the sake of crafting (which yields mostly unsellable items until mastery, and little RP in comparision to all different activity)

This mostly to affect smithing, woodworking and leathercraft.

Or some nomal xp for evey crafted item? Or small quest reward if the crafter provides any stuff for the supply chest?
Brainstorming for some kind of incentive.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 10:39:08 AM »
I just think they need to boost the rate at which you gain crafting XP altogether, especially for the more time consuming crafts.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 10:54:38 AM »
To get all the best gear on the server requires crafted gear. So there is incentive. Its made the way it is, to ensure that only people who are willing to dedicate to the craft will do it.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 12:03:14 PM »
I honestly think you ought to get a few crafting levels for free, just because it really is a pain to level certain crafting things, and I think it would be part of one's background BEFORE they become an adventurer, something like smithing or woodworking. Maybe you wouldn't be the best at it, but you'd still have some experience.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 02:26:41 PM »
I honestly think you ought to get a few crafting levels for free, just because it really is a pain to level certain crafting things, and I think it would be part of one's background BEFORE they become an adventurer, something like smithing or woodworking. Maybe you wouldn't be the best at it, but you'd still have some experience.

So, kind of like the background skills you get to choose when creating a new character then?
Except that you then get to choose some bonus levels to start out with in one of the crafts?

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2014, 02:34:03 PM »

So, kind of like the background skills you get to choose when creating a new character then?
Except that you then get to choose some bonus levels to start out with in one of the crafts?

most likely everyone wood take woodworking and leatherworking.
I mastered smithing and it can be done. And it is not THAT hard as the two others. Basicly till like level ~25 of smithing you do not even need to leave a certain spot. with woodworking however you can only get this way till like level 13-5.
Thereafter though it becomes VERY time consuming, slow, even if you are a smith.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Dumas

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2014, 02:38:28 PM »
I like the idea of getting a crafting bonus for certain backgrounds! I think it would be interesting to help flush out a character who has some background as a carpenter or a fletcher or a blacksmith apprentice.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »

most likely everyone wood take woodworking and leatherworking.
I mastered smithing and it can be done. And it is not THAT hard as the two others. Basicly till like level ~25 of smithing you do not even need to leave a certain spot. with woodworking however you can only get this way till like level 13-5.
Thereafter though it becomes VERY time consuming, slow, even if you are a smith.

Smithing is harder than woodworking. Leatherworking is harder than both of them. Herbalism is easy, just ridiculously slow. Gilding is the worst craft in the game, do not take it up, it's stupid to get silver and you will not get your money's worth from it. I haven't tried tailoring. Alchemy I'm fairly indifferent about.

To make money as a crafter, you wait until you're the only smith or woodworker. Then, you charge whatever you want for things. People get upset that it's too expensive? Well they can go cry elsewhere, because they're not getting that thick chitin steel tower shield or that troll steel plate. If you hate crafting every single day, this is the way to do it. Charge people for your time so it's a win-win. If they pay you, you get a lot of gold. If they leave you alone, you don't have to bother with it.