You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: And so comes that alignment change...  (Read 1652 times)

MAB77

• Developers
  • Dark Power
And so comes that alignment change...
« on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:51 PM »
Hi all, I am currently musing as to the implication of an alignment change currently affecting my Ezrite, Koryan Thorgarov.

Roleplay wise I won't change anything. I've been playing Koryan as a lawful good dude for so long the alignment change was simply long overdue. The issue is rather with the "Shield of Ezra" he technically displays.

On one side, the game mechanics make it so that the shield displayed is based on one's alignment, which would make him display the shield of the Pure Hearts. On the other side, Koryan still mostly clings to the tenets of the Home Faith. Even though the few liberties he took justify an alignment change it does not in the least means that he became a Pure Heart. There are still enough fundamental differences to justify he remains a Home Faith.

It is not an issue yet, as his clerical domains have not been modified to give him the "Mists" domain, I can carry on playing him as I always did for now. But I intend to get that "Mists" domain as soon as possible and then it will pose the problem, what should be done?

1) Nothing. Just play as if he's still Home Faith even if he displays a Pure Heart shield. But to be consistent with the setting an anchorite should display the shield of his sect.

2) Revert him back to lawful neutral due to the game mechanic limitations, even though I would keep playing him as the lawful good priest he is. This in turn would affect which items he would technically be allowed to wear. (I am not at all seeking to exploit this, but this would be a result of this option).

3) I could always have him go through a small crisis of faith and do move over to the Pure Hearts. I realise it might be the most logical course of action, and the only solution respecting all game mechanics, but it would not fit what Koryan always stood for previously.

So what do you think of this dilemna? Comments, suggestions? Other angles I've not seen?

Regards!
MAB
Best Regards!
MAB

Dev. Relationist for the Dark Powers.
1 Castle Road, Castle Ravenloft, Village of Barovia.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
Re: And so comes that alignment change...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 03:33:32 PM »
I'm not familiar with church politics but if something like this happens-

a person says they are of one sect but manifests as another-

wouldn't the Inquisition haul you in and decide for you?
Isn't that the kind of stuff they SHOULD be doing as part of their position?

or -

maybe that's what a priest of the faith should help you through? or two of the two different sects send you on a quest of faith and what you do on that quest would decide where you belong? or they give you a test like they did in blade runner? you see a tortoise on its back boiling in the sun, what do you do?, etc. xD

I think this sounds like something fun for you to do in-game as a crisis as faith.

when finished you would be rewarded your rebuild and can take your mist domain
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:47:02 PM by monsinyana »
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Anonymoose

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 03:35:43 PM »
Well I do not think there's going to be any mechanical fix to this problem at least, I can't see how the system would sense sect belonging otherwise aside from alignment.

1) I do not know what difference the shields have in visual appearance but choosing this option would mean that you also get the Pure Heart shield stats rather than the Home Faith.

2) Aside from the equipment, your alignment wouldn't properly represent the way your RP your character which would make the alignment redundant, this is although a minor problem.

3) Join us, join the bro side.

Theorem Of Neutrality

• Undead Master
  • It Do
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 03:39:25 PM »
The main way this would play out, from my understanding, is the fact that Thorgarov would start to cleave very far away from Home Faith orthodoxy. This isn't necessarily to say that he would suddenly become a Pure Heart or anything - but, he might be strongly encouraged to be re-baptize or return to orthodox Home Faith dogma.

By your friendly neighborhood Inquisitor.
Zivon de'Scusa - The Core's best Doctor Doom cosplayer since 752.