You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Question about slaughter domain  (Read 4158 times)

Troukk

• Dark Power
Question about slaughter domain
« on: January 11, 2014, 10:16:42 PM »
Why does it get Greater Magic Fang? How could a cleric use that?
Not all who wander are lost.

Elfric

• Dark Power
Re: Question about slaughter domain
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 10:17:46 PM »
Summon, gmf, hope the sumon isn't a dire badger.. again :<

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 11:48:22 PM »
According to the spell description it can only be used on animal companions, my only guess is that it's for Druid/Cleric  Crossbreeds

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:32:59 AM »
According to the spell description it can only be used on animal companions, my only guess is that it's for Druid/Cleric  Crossbreeds
[Cough] Rangers get animal companions too.. The catch is, their companions are crummy since they can die and require rezing.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 04:40:14 AM »
Doesn't GMF work on elemental's as well??

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 06:03:28 AM »
Doesn't GMF work on elemental's as well??

I have absolutely no idea, but guessing since it supposedly only works on animal companions I'd say probably not.
Pretty sure elementals fall under the same category as summons, since they use the same combat mechanics as those.
Think it doesn't work on familiars either, but I can't say I've seen rangers / druids combined with sorcerer / wizard levels before.

But if I had to make another guess it's that this domain is mainly designed towards clerics that multiclass into rangers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:07:04 AM by Feronius »

Badelaire

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:57:40 AM »
Considering the domain's origins, makes sense that a cleric would likely have druid or ranger levels as well. Greater Magic Fang only works on animal companions and not summons or familiars. The information is in Gazetteer 4.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 12:04:54 PM »
In PnP Magic Fangs works on all natural weapons, and unarmed attacks. But NWN's way of doing stuff makes it less usefull. Because you change "weapons" when shapeshifting.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 01:14:47 PM »
It's a real shame. Maybe the spell could be altered so if it targets a Summon creature it also enhances them?
Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 01:24:06 PM »
It's a real shame. Maybe the spell could be altered so if it targets a Summon creature it also enhances them?

Even with that, I can't see wasting two spell slots on a summon. They don't last long enough, and they're not very practical in a dungeoning environment until you get to higher levels, at which point you're going to have/need people to buff who will do the job better.
: )

Geiger

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2014, 01:33:03 PM »
It could be made to apply to the player in the same way of divine favor - which will "follow" you when you transform - but it'd also need to be made castable on other targets. I don't know how it set it up so someone couldn't pull out their weapons, though.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
Or maybe make it simple and give slaughter clerics another spell from that spell-list?

For example, they could get expenditious retreat instead of greater magic fang.

I find it a cool spell for the concept of "chasing the prey" and whatnot...

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2014, 04:32:02 PM »
Or maybe make it simple and give slaughter clerics another spell from that spell-list?

They already get Expeditious Retreat at level 1...
Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2014, 04:36:52 PM »

They already get Expeditious Retreat at level 1...

Only in PnP, not in PoTM, which is exactly why I suggested that spell in the first place.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2014, 08:45:06 PM »
Do they get Tenser's Transformation? If not, then that over Extendous retreat. E-R is never used, even at starting levels and people just stock up on haste potions.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2014, 09:14:56 PM »
Do they get Tenser's Transformation? If not, then that over Extendous retreat. E-R is never used, even at starting levels and people just stock up on haste potions.

Yeah, they get Tenser's, Fear and Greater Magic Fang. My suggestion is to switch Greater Magic Fang for Expenditious Retreat. I agree on your appreciation on haste potions, but it's a cool concept to "naturally" run fast to catch your prey.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2014, 10:46:37 PM »

Hey! Expeditious Retreat can be a handy spell to have prepared if you have to travel and don't have a ton of slots for haste.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2014, 10:19:57 AM »
Indeed!, Specially with no stat gear it is very easy for low str builds to become encumbered. And walking everywhere can be -INCREDIBLY- time consuming.  Expeditious Retreat helps greatly with getting from point A to point B much more quickly.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
...THen why not give them a single haste spell isntead? Did you know.. a barbarian might get lucky and outrun an ER cleric? The Wolf God does not find that acceptable [Even though you get to live when you reach the boarders of Verbrek IF you get there, after being "chosen" for ritual sacrifice]

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 02:23:35 AM »
...THen why not give them a single haste spell isntead? Did you know.. a barbarian might get lucky and outrun an ER cleric? The Wolf God does not find that acceptable [Even though you get to live when you reach the boarders of Verbrek IF you get there, after being "chosen" for ritual sacrifice]
Haste does a lot more than make you run fast, that's why.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2014, 07:14:54 AM »
Haste does a lot more than make you run fast, that's why.

Agreed. Also Haste is not in the PnP Slaughter Domain Spell-list. But Expenditious Retreat is, and it would be cool to implement it in PoTM, replacing the currently useless "greater magic fang".

Anonymoose

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2014, 07:48:51 AM »
Except Expeditious Retreat is faster than Haste so I don't see a Barbarian outrun an ER Cleric anytime soon.

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2014, 08:42:06 AM »
Except Expeditious Retreat is faster than Haste so I don't see a Barbarian outrun an ER Cleric anytime soon.

Exp Retreat and Haste make you just as fast.

Haste has other advantages though.

Endlessorrow

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2014, 09:27:28 AM »
The PnP idea is for a wolf god "preist" to cast gmw on themselves when in hybrid or wolf form. The understanding in PnP being that only were wolves follow the wolf god or even know about him. the concept dose not translate to nwn mechanics though.
Current main characters, Fador Flint and Red Mika.

Anonymoose

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2014, 11:31:44 AM »
You seem to be correct, my mistake.