You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: THE THREAD OF ALL TECH DISCUSSION THREADS  (Read 1334 times)

Geiger

THE THREAD OF ALL TECH DISCUSSION THREADS
« on: January 05, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »
Greetings technophiles and confused luddites!

I thought I'd make this thread so we could all talk shop with one another/ask/discuss our problems/brag/admire with the various bits of tech in our machines, whatever they may be.

Geiger

Re: THE THREAD OF ALL TECH DISCUSSION THREADS
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2014, 04:55:13 PM »
I shall break the casted mold by posting first as well!

I am currently rocking an ATI Radeon HD 5850. However, its fan is apparently about to explode. Has anyone ever done plan replacement in a 5000 series? Or know of good how-tos? I've never done something like that before. I am going to spend about 30 bucks to try and clean it up. Already found a good ATI fan thing on Amazon.

In the event I fail. Does anyone know cheap alternatives to this graphics card? Hahaha.

Geiger

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 05:00:18 PM »
Also: I failed! Move this to the appropriate forum, LOL!

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »
I've done replacements for pretty much everything except ATI GPU's. How hard can it be though? :) I've always used Nvidia and I recommend them instead.

Mostly recently I upgraded my Mobo, CPU and ram sticks, cost just under 700 NZD.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 01:18:23 AM »
from 5770 i moved to a 7790 works smooth, only thing you may need is to update the bios of your computer. (I could do this after i installed the card in, a cheap solution is a 6670 if you can buy it, however for double it's price you get a 7770 or a 7790 which is better, since performance wise 6670 sucks GREATLY)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Phantasia

• Stealth/Detection Cognoscenti
  • Developers
  • Dark Power
  • ¿
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2014, 06:24:33 AM »
A recent upgrade has put me from a Thermaltake unrated 850W PSU, some crappy Elite Group Black Edition AM2+ socket mobo, two Patriot Vipers, a AMD Phenom II Black Edition, and 2x Radeon 4770s . I had to replace the PSU, Motherboard, RAM, CPU, and GPU all together - the system had last me a good seven years before a rather terrible death.

In respective order, I upgraded to a Corsair 760 AX Platinum power supply, a Asus Z87 Sabertooth, two Corsair Dominator Platinum, an Intel 4770k at 3.5GHz stock, and a GTX 770 (thanks for the debate on this one Noc, and saving me $).

It was an overall performance surge in terms of parts, and a nice cut out of my wallet, but overall worth it. I needed new parts quite badly. The switch from ATI/AMD to Intel/Nvidia has me sold for now, despite the extra costs - you get what you pay for.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 06:27:37 AM by SerSword »
Le cœur voit plus loin que l'esprit.
The heart sees further than the mind.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 11:37:01 AM »
A recent upgrade has put me from a Thermaltake unrated 850W PSU, some crappy Elite Group Black Edition AM2+ socket mobo, two Patriot Vipers, a AMD Phenom II Black Edition, and 2x Radeon 4770s . I had to replace the PSU, Motherboard, RAM, CPU, and GPU all together - the system had last me a good seven years before a rather terrible death.

In respective order, I upgraded to a Corsair 760 AX Platinum power supply, a Asus Z87 Sabertooth, two Corsair Dominator Platinum, an Intel 4770k at 3.5GHz stock, and a GTX 770 (thanks for the debate on this one Noc, and saving me $).

It was an overall performance surge in terms of parts, and a nice cut out of my wallet, but overall worth it. I needed new parts quite badly. The switch from ATI/AMD to Intel/Nvidia has me sold for now, despite the extra costs - you get what you pay for.

The mobo i agree, along with the CPU, however i would say with the 770 you payed more for what you could have achieved, a same or better ATI card would have cost you less. ( I would have recommended a vidcard from the R9 series, possibly a 280 or 280 X)
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant