Author Topic: Dungeon suggestions - making the challenge more exciting  (Read 12016 times)

Ellana Twiggy

Re: Dungeon suggestions - making the challenge more exciting
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2013, 10:08:39 AM »
I just received Adam's wrath, and I have to say Lamodria looks really, really interesting after going through it some. I don't think it would be bad to have another area/land which was geared more towards 8 - 14 lvl chars, such would certainly give people a lot more options as far as traveling and adventure, and still allow for a rich lore and rp filled environment.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2013, 10:52:16 AM »
Id like to see a few more variants in level ranges for dungeons. Such as maybe 1-2 higher level places in Barovia, and 1-2 lower end place in port. Since we cant exactly always help where our rp is. And having to run across the server constantly kinda sucks :/

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #52 on: December 21, 2013, 01:51:04 PM »
I just received Adam's wrath, and I have to say Lamodria looks really, really interesting after going through it some. I don't think it would be bad to have another area/land which was geared more towards 8 - 14 lvl chars, such would certainly give people a lot more options as far as traveling and adventure, and still allow for a rich lore and rp filled environment.
I say it has to be Lamordia, not because I have a Lamordian... But! Because it wil cause people to change up tactics due to the smothering of reason: Natural Spell Failure for all magic.
..and because Lamordia is a nice idea to Roleplay.. And that I have a Lamordian.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

OnceOpenNowClosed

• Undead Slayer
  • Havoc, Ruin, and Despair
« Reply #53 on: December 21, 2013, 05:00:30 PM »
I'm no dungeon expert but here it goes;

The random caves in Barovia need a more consistent spawn setup, they seem to spawn anywhere from Bandits to Undead and Vampires, often leading to un-prepared encounters that are often avoided in favor for farming common areas.

-Caves near the sullen woods should always contain undead, the taint has caused the bandits previously occupying the cave to become corrupted after the shadows slew them and doomed to rise as undead. Lower spawns would mean Skeletal Warriors and ! My suggestion for a new creature, a Skeleton Hound or wolf, with movement speed and detection skills superior to that of a normal skeleton but with much lower health and attack bonus. The loot would likewise be compensated for the extra challenge.  The boss would include a skeleton chieftain behind a locked door with a few warriors.

- An old abandoned house in farmlands is boarded up and locked. Picking it and entering would reveal a ruined home destroyed, ransacked and made into a makeshift roost by a Colony of werebats that fly off into the night leaving their guards behind during their raids for a lower spawn at night (If this is possible) or a heavy spawn during the day when they are present in droves. Inside would be tamed bats of other types such as Doombats and Mobats trained to guard their lair.

-An old inn made as a halfway point for travelers on the way to Kroftburg has fallen into disrepair for reasons unknown, but strange noises come from it at night and a dark presence is felt whenever one approaches. Inside is eerily empty revealing nothing that gives evidence to what happened to the residence, the stairs are broken and destroyed, a door to the basement reveals a very dark ritual that occurred there leading to the deaths of all the inhabitants, as you approach the metal and locked door down the hallway (With traps!) the terrible feeling would grow worse and worse, opening the door would reveal A lower spawn of ghosts that would attack any who enter.

Dungeons Leading to Other Dungeons

As with the Skeleton Cave and the Vestibule this shows some pretty neat potential for dungeons being able to chain to one another and be excellent amounts of fun. I was blown away and I thought to myself, "Why not have more?" It's farmed rather regularly, so the idea is popular as well as the challenge it presents.

-Inside the Lich tower there lies an elixir that allows one to pass the negative energy fog unharmed for a short amount of time (Like the Vistani Elixer) Using this invention of the lich an adventuring party can journey into the Tergian crypts and access a new dungeon filled with even more powerful shadows (Swordwraiths as a normality) and even more deadly vampires (Elite) the dungeon would be risky and tough, but with great reward.

-Gathering an old tome with shifting hieroglyphics from the Temple of Anubis would allow one to go to a secluded desert area (North with the small building usually surrounded by Heucevas) to speak the words to enter a large stone door leading to a dungeon filled with traps and mummies. Later in the dungeon the floor would slowly shift from sandy cavern to deep stone floors. Traps galore as adventurers are forced to go forward or face a tide of slowly closing in mummies at their back that come from the sand, these mummies would be of a weak variety, but inevitably would exhaust the party of all it's resources. Fighting the unending ones behind would mean certain death as the ones forward are more challenging, the party is forced to move forward as the way is shut behind them, fighting to escape the slow advance of the mummies buried beneath the sand.

-Pirates are rumored to gather off the coast of Dementiliu unable to be found unless a treasure map (Rare item drop) is found in the Blaustian cave amongst the treasure. A sailor agrees to take the party to the island if they have the map in their possession leading to a coastal dungeon with swashbuckling pirates protecting their ill gotten gains, but the adventurers must protect the ship on it's way to it's destination resulting in a naval boarding map with pirates before the dungeon itself (If possible) once they arrive, turning in the head of the wanted pirate gives a heavy gold reward from Dementiliu's bounty office (I'm thinking 2500) along with some of the pirate's booty.
I will make of my enemies mere piles of tangled bone.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: December 21, 2013, 05:05:19 PM »
The random caves in Barovia need a more consistent spawn setup, they seem to spawn anywhere from Bandits to Undead and Vampires, often leading to un-prepared encounters that are often avoided in favor for farming common areas.

I'd rather see Bandits to Undead to Vampires. Any time I enter one of those caves I'm either faced with bats, gremishka or beetles. Not exactly a challenge.
: )

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #55 on: December 21, 2013, 06:32:42 PM »
I'm not sure if anything is actually in it, but the farm/house just past the asylum where the darklings and their little evil fairies spawn might make for a nice little dungeon if you can pick the lock and get in. Three small levels, basment, main floor, and upper floor. Filled with the easier darklings and some of those fae would be a great low level romp.

The renegade camp past sullen woods (or perhaps in sullen woods), there is an unlinked cave there with out a door, no bandits or renegades, no nothing other than a nice set up for some one to make camp. That area could be populated with some bandits which are a little more difficult to fight than the shadows as a nice little challenge.
The cave could even be added as something that maybe leads to some secret passage with in terg or some such exciting turn. Thus gradually going up in challenge as you progress further.

Adding in a full walk around the lake, I'm sure there should be some way to end up from the scrag area heading around more to make it to somewhere near midway if you really wanted to walk. Maybe once of those under ground caverns could lead into a level addition added on to the ogre lair? Maybe the ogre shamans have just enough magic to ward an entry to keep the scrags out, maybe they are fighting them on that second level and you walk into a war between monsters only to get caught in the middle.

Adding some spawns to the evil forest perhaps. . .the creepy statue and the herbs aren't exactly terrorizing anyone I don't think. Though that guy in the shack gives me the creeps always calling people a wierdo.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2013, 02:56:15 AM »

Do you mean that the challenge is too varying or? The entire point of using the variable spawn setups is that you don't know what to expect though, and that may at also at times you just have to look elsewhere.

I'd rather see Bandits to Undead to Vampires. Any time I enter one of those caves I'm either faced with bats, gremishka or beetles. Not exactly a challenge.

The different caves have different selections of variations. The ones nearest Vallaki only have fairly trivial things to cater for lower levels, while the cave north of the lake and the bandit caves out east have higher spawn variations.

Anyway, folks, please read the first post. Many suggestions here are for entirely new dungeons, which, while interesting in it's own, does not belong in this topic.

Ellana Twiggy

« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2013, 09:25:11 AM »
I might be wrong, having only been to perf enough times to count on two hands, but what about the occasional aboleth to spawn out there in the main plains?
I've come across one once as a dm spawn, but never since. I've even been told they spawn in perf some where, but I've never seen them there. Those things are super challenging.

I know there are a few hidden dungeons, but I'm not thinking that they have any ease of access or way of people to find out how to enter them with any sort of ease if you even still can. Maybe some hints on how to get into those with more common npcs?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2013, 09:51:21 AM »
Aboleths dont fit thematically in perf. They are aquatic
 They used to spawn where prisoner taker is before the temple was moved from barovia

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2013, 10:41:58 AM »

Do you mean that the challenge is too varying or? The entire point of using the variable spawn setups is that you don't know what to expect though, and that may at also at times you just have to look elsewhere.

yeah i didnt get that post either xD

The cave variations are one of the single most awesome things on the server. even the placeables change to fit the 'theme'

more of that if possible in other places please!

i LOVE walking in wondering what might be one of those places and running for my life when i get swarmed by spiders or vampire spawn!

Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2014, 08:55:53 PM »
I have a suggestion!

Instead of just description text of a feeling of dread- paint a trigger to overcome fear or not be able to continue on

for a specific example:

Second floor of the Outskirt Morninglord Crypt.
As you approach the transition to go down if you fail, you become feared and can't enter. You would need potions or items or spells to continue on.

The fear effects in Ravenloft is supernatural and can still effect elves and Paladins and such

Looooooooooooooooooove this.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2014, 09:02:56 PM »
As far as I know, it's magical and supernatural fear paladins are immune to. They are still susceptible to non-magic fear.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2014, 11:22:10 PM »
As far as I know, it's magical and supernatural fear paladins are immune to. They are still susceptible to non-magic fear.
Yes, paladins are still immune to magical/supernatural fear even in Ravenloft and non-magic/supernatural fear doesn't work like the Fear spell.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2014, 11:36:40 PM »
I have a suggestion!

Instead of just description text of a feeling of dread- paint a trigger to overcome fear or not be able to continue on

for a specific example:

As you approach the transition to go down if you fail, you become feared and can't enter. You would need potions or items or spells to continue on.

The fear effects in Ravenloft is supernatural and can still effect elves and Paladins and such

I think the portrayal of fear should be roleplayed out, not mechanically reinforced more than it already is.

It'll just dwindle down to characters with a low will score needing to constantly carry fear immunity potions on them.
Ultimately such a frustrating mechanic will interrupt and hinder the roleplaying way more often than adding to it.

If such a feature / suggestion is ever considered, it should be scarce and placed only in high level dungeon areas.
It is going to cause a lot of grief to uninformed or new players if you put the triggers in one of the starting dungeons.
A lot of low level parties would end up stranding right after arriving at a dungeon, which isn't fun for anyone.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 11:38:23 PM by Feronius »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2014, 11:58:58 PM »
I have a suggestion!

for a specific example:

I think the portrayal of fear should be roleplayed out, not mechanically reinforced more than it already is.

It'll just dwindle down to characters with a low will score needing to constantly carry fear immunity potions on them.
Ultimately such a frustrating mechanic will interrupt and hinder the roleplaying way more often than adding to it.

If such a feature / suggestion is ever considered, it should be scarce and placed only in high level dungeon areas.
It is going to cause a lot of grief to uninformed or new players if you put the triggers in one of the starting dungeons.
A lot of low level parties would end up stranding right after arriving at a dungeon, which isn't fun for anyone.
Our philosophy, dev team-wise, is that fear/horror should be roleplayed whenever possible, and that if it must be mechanically introduced, it would only be so at a DM's discretion and only if said players were not trying to roleplay it. No automated system would ever be able to tell if people are roleplaying an emotion properly.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2014, 12:54:55 AM »
Enforcing a fear mechanic is not going to make those players roleplay any better.

The same people will still be equally ignorant to the setting, with the exception of them now clicking on a hotkey one extra time to cast an additional spell or consume a potion.
I honestly don't know how you could force people to roleplay fear without DM babysitting. I don't think any mechanic is capable of making players roleplay if they can't be bothered to.

All we can do is lead by example and create challenging dungeons.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 01:03:13 AM by Feronius »

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »
Would it be worth changng the fear auras of creatures to the aura of unnatural that ghosts use? That basically gives penalties to skills saves and attacks, which is basically how shaken works... Surely this wold be enugh of a hindrance without tearing control away from the player.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #67 on: January 14, 2014, 01:35:57 PM »
Would it be worth changng the fear auras of creatures to the aura of unnatural that ghosts use? That basically gives penalties to skills saves and attacks, which is basically how shaken works... Surely this wold be enugh of a hindrance without tearing control away from the player.

You bring that up to Bad Bud. He's the dev working on tweaking spells

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2014, 01:54:08 PM »
Idea 1: Stepping stones & Pressure Plates

I really like the stepping stone pressure gate in the ML tomb.

I'd like to see more dungeons use that kind of dynamic. You could even have a vault that needs 3 to 5 people stand in certain spots to open the doors and this would also prevent ninja looting

Idea 2: moveable objects

I don't remember if it was in the OC somewhere or an Adam Miller mod but i recall one room that locked once you entered, and the room started filling with gas. you had to push a stone pillar over the gate before you could work on getting through the room.
anything like that kind of puzzle would be welcome

Idea 3: choices

3A) Something I really liked in the OC was once a 'boss' was almost defeated it opened a dialogue. you could just kill them, talk to them, etc

3B) i also like when you bring a 'thing' back to an NPC and you can try and get more of a reward from someone. especially when failure ends in getting less then what you were originally promised.

3C) using existing dungeons/ routes and the way things spawn it wouldn't be hard to add some NPCs that have special requests if you are going to a certain place. accepting the request would be the spawner.
            *Rather then always have an NPC quest giver in a static place this could spawn in randomly, or once every 3 'days' or something. this way PCs cant plan it. they can take advantage of the opportunity if it happens to come up or pass it by.

here are some simple examples:

3C.1) NPC near vallaki needs something taken to Midway. they don't dare take the ship because the item/ object/ message, if found, would bring a death sentence

while traveling overland to midway, having the item in your inventory spawns encounters.

3C.2) occasionally on bandits (or some such) a 'MAP' item might spawn. you can 'use' the map anywhere. using it tells you if youre close, if nothing looks familiar, etc. someplace random on the server is the reward/ item. it also spawns in a harder threat

the map stays in your possession until server reset then its destroyed

ok so thats 3 ideas for spicing up existing areas
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 03:24:07 PM by monsinyana »

RanDav12

• New to the Mists
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2014, 02:48:39 PM »

I'd like to see more dungeons use that kind of dynamic. You could even have a vault that needs 3 to 5 people stand in certain spots to open the doors and this would also prevent ninja looting

I don't remember if it was in the OC somewhere or an Adam Miller mod but i recall one room that locked once you entered, and the room started filling with gas. you had to push a stone pillar over the gate before you could work on getting through the room.

3A) Something I really liked in the OP was once a 'boss' was almost defeated it opened a dialogue. you could just kill them, talk to them, etc

3B) i also like when you bring a 'thing' back to an NPC and you can try and get more of a reward from someone. especially when failure ends in getting less then what you were originally promised.

3C) using existing dungeons/ routes and the way things spawn it wouldn't be hard to add some NPCs that have special requests if you are going to a certain place. accepting the request would be the spawner.
            *Rather then always have an NPC quest giver in a static place this could spawn in randomly, or once every 3 'days' or something. this way PCs cant plan it. they can take advantage of the opportunity if it happens to come up or pass it by.

3C.1) NPC near vallaki needs something taken to Midway. they don't dare take the ship because the item/ object/ message, if found, would bring a death sentence

while traveling overland to midway, having the item in your inventory spawns encounters.

3C.2) occasionally on bandits (or some such) a 'MAP' item might spawn. you can 'use' the map anywhere. using it tells you if youre close, if nothing looks familiar, etc. someplace random on the server is the reward/ item. it also spawns in a harder threat

This.
One word for this.
Awsome.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2014, 02:55:59 PM »

3A) Something I really liked in the OP was once a 'boss' was almost defeated it opened a dialogue. you could just kill them, talk to them, etc

This.
One word for this.
Awsome.

These are nice suggestions.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #71 on: January 14, 2014, 04:23:59 PM »
Would it be possible to use the same mechanics as the Vistani caravan to incorporate a dungeon element? Let me try to explain my thoughts.

• You simply enter an area, much like you would enter the Vistani wagon, from which you will be teleported once a few minutes have passed.
  • After these few minutes of preparation everyone within this zone is teleported to a different area, to face off against a group of hostile spawns.
  • Once the combat concludes you can activate an object again or speak to an NPC to return to return to get back out again or travel onwards.

This may not sound too exciting, but imagine some of the potential scenarios.

- Someone triggers a trapdoor, your party ends up in an empty pit and an atmospheric yellow message appears as the timer / script kicks in.
- After some minutes you briefly fade out to black as an identical pit area loads, but with a group of enemies now entering / spawning in the pit.
- You fight a glorious gladiatorial pitfight against whatever beasts, after which your party climbs back out and resumes their dungeoning adventure.

- Your party enters the lower deck of a ship, departing for whichever destination. After a few minutes your ship is suddenly under attack.
- The screen fades to black, as your party makes their way up to the deck of the ship, to find a bunch of pirates or a sea monster attacking.
- Once the fighting concludes you speak to one of the surviving crew or click on an object or skiff and end up arriving at your destination.

- Your group is aboard a wagon, be it Vistani or not, on their way to wherever. After a few minutes the horses suddenly come to a halt.
- The screen fades to black, as your party obviously peaks outside and comes face to face with a bunch of highwaymen or whatever is there.
- Once the fighting concludes you enter the wagon again and travel onwards towards wherever you were meant to originally make a stop.

And so on. The possibilities are endless if you get creative and if this is actually doable. Most of the scripting components seem to already exist.
There are a few concerns I have, "What if you die during this event?" I have no clue what happens if you die while aboard the Vistani wagon either, if that's even possible. Maybe there's an easy solution and your corpse will simply end up transported to the next static area, in that case there wouldn't be an issue. One other worry is loading screens, but I think that it is possible to position hostile mobs far enough to give players plenty of time to exit any loading screen before the enemies start bridging the gap.

But of course the big question is, is this actually possible? Or are there already similar dungeon scripts in place? I wouldn't even know.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:38:30 PM by Feronius »

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2014, 06:00:54 PM »
Would it be possible to use the same mechanics as the Vistani caravan to incorporate a dungeon element? Let me try to explain my thoughts.

• You simply enter an area, much like you would enter the Vistani wagon, from which you will be teleported once a few minutes have passed.
  • After these few minutes of preparation everyone within this zone is teleported to a different area, to face off against a group of hostile spawns.
  • Once the combat concludes you can activate an object again or speak to an NPC to return to return to get back out again or travel onwards.

This may not sound too exciting, but imagine some of the potential scenarios.

- Someone triggers a trapdoor, your party ends up in an empty pit and an atmospheric yellow message appears as the timer / script kicks in.
- After some minutes you briefly fade out to black as an identical pit area loads, but with a group of enemies now entering / spawning in the pit.
- You fight a glorious gladiatorial pitfight against whatever beasts, after which your party climbs back out and resumes their dungeoning adventure.

- Your party enters the lower deck of a ship, departing for whichever destination. After a few minutes your ship is suddenly under attack.
- The screen fades to black, as your party makes their way up to the deck of the ship, to find a bunch of pirates or a sea monster attacking.
- Once the fighting concludes you speak to one of the surviving crew or click on an object or skiff and end up arriving at your destination.

- Your group is aboard a wagon, be it Vistani or not, on their way to wherever. After a few minutes the horses suddenly come to a halt.
- The screen fades to black, as your party obviously peaks outside and comes face to face with a bunch of highwaymen or whatever is there.
- Once the fighting concludes you enter the wagon again and travel onwards towards wherever you were meant to originally make a stop.

And so on. The possibilities are endless if you get creative and if this is actually doable. Most of the scripting components seem to already exist.
There are a few concerns I have, "What if you die during this event?" I have no clue what happens if you die while aboard the Vistani wagon either, if that's even possible. Maybe there's an easy solution and your corpse will simply end up transported to the next static area, in that case there wouldn't be an issue. One other worry is loading screens, but I think that it is possible to position hostile mobs far enough to give players plenty of time to exit any loading screen before the enemies start bridging the gap.

But of course the big question is, is this actually possible? Or are there already similar dungeon scripts in place? I wouldn't even know.

This is how City of Arabel handles their caravans

At designated times during the day different routes are available. Talking to the Teamster opens the dialogue and you can ask for the schedule. if you talk to him during one of the designated hours you can take the assignment and everyone in the room is transported to the start of the route once you say youre ready to go.

most of the routes are only accessible this way. if you die (and your companions abandon you) you were stuck there unless you respawned

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2014, 07:04:42 PM »
Uhhh?

We will have a chance to get in a fight on a vistani caravan? Im not sure anything dare attack the Vistani, nor would it be nice on characters who is solely built to do Rp stuff and not fighting unprepared.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2014, 07:37:57 PM »
Uhhh?

We will have a chance to get in a fight on a vistani caravan? Im not sure anything dare attack the Vistani, nor would it be nice on characters who is solely built to do Rp stuff and not fighting unprepared.
...to use the same mechanics as the Vistani caravan to incorporate a dungeon element

So no, obviously not on the actual Vistani caravan. I'm merely talking about using some of the script from that traveling system as part of a dungeon scenario.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 06:31:19 PM by Feronius »