Author Topic: Server Status  (Read 1986 times)

Dread

• Dark Power
Server Status
« on: December 08, 2013, 01:56:55 PM »
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/serverstatus.php

Is there any way the server status can be updated to show who is on, what character they're on, and how many DMs are on? Really I think it would be a nice way for people to determine who's around without needing to log in.

Heretic

• Dungeon Master &
  • Dark Power
Re: Server Status
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2013, 11:16:57 PM »
I like the element of surprise, the 'not knowing' for potential cheaters that at any time a DM can pop in and bust them. There's always someone that is watching you. Preventing the "'dm check', lets lame/cheat, DM's ain't watchin'."  :Up_to:

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2013, 11:45:25 PM »
It's 50/50 in my opinion. I hate myself for checking to see if people I want to RP with are on, 'cuz I'm potentially missing out on RP with all those people I didn't intend to RP with.
: )

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 09:01:03 AM »
http://www.nwnravenloft.com/serverstatus.php

Is there any way the server status can be updated to show who is on, what character they're on, and how many DMs are on? Really I think it would be a nice way for people to determine who's around without needing to log in.

I do really like having this option, not that I always make use of it, but not having to start up the game and log in just to check if there are any people around at all is quite nice.
You can scrap DMs off the list for me though, I do prefer to have DMs remaining in stealthmode. But being able to see which players / accountnames are online? Very handy.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2013, 07:31:54 PM »
I've sometimes wished the ability to send tells or see who else is online was gone actually. At least as a trial so see how it would affect things if at all.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 08:22:37 PM »
Server listing of just the players would be fine. Leave the dms anonymous. Besides if you really wanted to know if a dm was on theres other ways.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2013, 10:46:29 PM »
I've sometimes wished the ability to send tells or see who else is online was gone actually. At least as a trial so see how it would affect things if at all.

That would likely be detrimental to things, seeing as how while we go for immersion, it's still a game. I don't want to log on, not know if anyone I RP with, or even anyone at all, is on, and then wander around aimlessly for hours looking for someone.

On another note, I've developed friendships with several players and use tells to converse with them about things other than the game. It's my understanding a lot of people do so.

Taking these away would make the game far less a game and far more work.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 06:29:49 AM »
I found the server list one of the things that the game makers did right.
I don't need to see levels but names would be appreciated as to know which char to logon.

I hope for the dm team, people arnt as neurotic like me and ask upon login who is home so to know which dm is around and thus what to expect.

Heretic said it is nice to have a surprise........what nonesense is that beside herecy, you login abd see the list, and as usual no dm is listed ingame, so for the team it makes no difference if they login stealth mode or normal as we can't see who logs on and off on that side.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 07:50:47 AM »

Not a fan of that, unless it is optional. I do know other servers have a system where you can choose to disable any incoming tells. Seen it a on a couple of servers.
You basically write a command or use a feat and nobody is able to contact you through tells anymore (and you can't send any yourself) until you turn it off again.

Interesting thought, although it doesn't directly relate to the server status. The server status is there before the immersion has kicked in anyhow, it was just handy.