Author Topic: Elven Chainmail  (Read 2738 times)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
Elven Chainmail
« on: December 07, 2013, 06:26:18 PM »
I recently found a suit of elven chainmail, which properties included increased hide and move silently. I also noticed it's property was mithril. Now it gives the weight reduction mithril is known for, but I noticed something: it lacks reduced Arcane Spell Penalty. I was fairly certain mithril chain, in all it's incantations, has always been a chain so light that it could be worn and one could still cast spells.

OnceOpenNowClosed

• Undead Slayer
  • Havoc, Ruin, and Despair
Re: Elven Chainmail
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 06:35:46 PM »
Mithril has the arcane spell failure rate reduced by 10% I believe, but that in NWN is a very expensive item property and thus probably making it very expensive. It's also considered light armor and would be usable by rangers, I'm not sure if that's the case with NWN. Which both seem to be mechanical hindrances.
I will make of my enemies mere piles of tangled bone.

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 08:49:37 PM »
Mithril has the arcane spell failure rate reduced by 10% I believe, but that in NWN is a very expensive item property and thus probably making it very expensive. It's also considered light armor and would be usable by rangers, I'm not sure if that's the case with NWN. Which both seem to be mechanical hindrances.

A ranger can still use it, but not get the bonuses.

even if ASF reduction was added, some value reduction could be applied to counter it. I imagine.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
Basic 10% reduction of ASF costs 9001, which is by itself over the 8000gp limit on items here. :(
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 10:54:21 PM »
Basic 10% reduction of ASF costs 9001, which is by itself over the 8000gp limit on items here. :(

I'm sure there could be some consideration that ASF reduction is REDICULOUSLY expensive. right? even if it was given a reasonable substitutable value.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2013, 12:39:04 PM »
Yeah, there was no way to add it without making it insanely expensive. As a note, the standard NWN version doesn't have arcane spell failure reduction, either.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »
Yeah, there was no way to add it without making it insanely expensive. As a note, the standard NWN version doesn't have arcane spell failure reduction, either.

Could mithril  be added as a material for crafting?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2013, 12:56:21 PM »

I believe it will be in the future, probably only found in Sithicus.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2013, 01:46:13 PM »

I believe it will be in the future, probably only found in Sithicus.

Better be dwarves involved, or it ain't mithril!

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
Mithril is a primarily elven metal, I thought. Adamantine was the dwarven specialty.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2013, 01:54:32 PM »
Mithril is a primarily elven metal, I thought. Adamantine was the dwarven specialty.

Traditionally, it was forged by dwarves in its origins.  Lord of the Rings and such.