You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Drain update?  (Read 7952 times)

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
Re: Drain update?
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2013, 01:57:52 AM »
I was under the impression that the Drain is a fully supported faction, not partially, as we've got our own faction DMs.

But yeah, as it's been said, a lot of Dwellers have been trying to get some changes down there for a long time, but it just isn't in the cards.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2013, 08:53:30 AM »
I was under the impression that the Drain is a fully supported faction, not partially, as we've got our own faction DMs.

Sure, but that doesn't mean any associated or sub-faction is going to be supported; which is what is being asked for here.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2013, 09:49:52 AM »

But yeah, as it's been said, a lot of Dwellers have been trying to get some changes down there for a long time, but it just isn't in the cards.

Yes, the Sewer Dwellers is a supported faction with their own DMs assigned, like any other supported faction has.
They do have some freedom within their individual crews, but they ultimately all have to answer to DMs / NPCs.
(They did start out as a PC faction, just like the Nerull Cult and the Theatre did, but are currently supported.)

Outside groups (or characters in general) that are housing themselves in the Drain are not automatically part of this faction.
Just like staying in one of the Morninglord sanctuaries or in a garda cell does not make you a member of said factions either.

Groups like the Black Lion Merchants, the Black Leaf Tribe or other neutral or allied groups to the Sewer Dwellers are just that, allies.
They are still seperate PC factions, rather than part of an overlapping supported faction as some people have incorrectly assumed in the past.
(The only groups you can possiby view as sub-factions to the Sewer Dwellers are the individual crews, but they are closer to a ranking structure.)

Which unfortunately means that initiatives like these are generally not supported, you will get told to apply to the development team instead.
Although exceptions have been made in the past, but as far as I know this did not involve any actual ownership of the locations in most cases.
(For example, groups being given permission and access to certain buildings and areas for temporary use or the leashing of existing locations.)

Hope that clears things up, feel free to correct me if I am mistaking. I think the supported faction thread just hasn't been updated in a while.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 10:09:33 AM by Feronius »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2013, 11:14:54 AM »
Just to point out that even DM-supported factions don't have the expectation that they can request changes and updates to areas....
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »
I know the server has a DM tool that stores an area appearance to be used later, I wonder if such a tool could find utility in hands of players.
In that way, the server could feel less like a museum that looks the same day in and day out and more "lived in", without ever requiring actually permanent modifications to the areas by a developer.
The possibilities are rather easy to imagine, campsites out in the woods, bazaars in public places, circus/acting troupes, etc.  All of which could be staged by players, instead of taking a DMs time, and eliminating the need to waste play time trying coordinate with a DM.  Not to mention it would be on-command of a player so MUCH more likely to see semi-persistent use etc.

That idea did not spring to mind solely from your thread, but actually because a player pitched to me the idea once of a bandit group and a deep in the woods hideout/campsite and we thought about how to "create" a feeling of a camp other than descriptor text.

In any case, I think its a chance for a great step forward in scene creation that is a frontier not yet breached in NWN. I don't even know is actually feasible, but one can dream. I've had so many ideas that required a DM before, just to change the visual presentation of an area, which I find lame personally.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2013, 02:01:22 PM »
DMs have proven themselves willing to place tools used to update and renovate areas in the hands of players (particularly for events like plays in the Theatre, or parties elsewhere), but these have to be placed in the hands of players who are capable of proving themselves to NOT be dickholes.

Grendlykins, Simp of Azalin Rex

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
Which is a shame because those tools are actually really, really useful. I could see a whole bunch of those tools being set up for dynamic camps or scenery changes all over the server, with little OOC notes saying what is where. Not sure if the tools have to be specifically linked to a certain set of objects being spawned in, but a system where you're walking through a zone and there's a little OOC note letting you know that one of those DM tools can spawn in a camp for four or so people and you use the widget to spawn it in would be extremely useful.

But a system like that would also take an insane amount of work, bring a whole slew of bugs and maybe somewhat abusable in some unforeseen way.

Marsi

• Undead Master
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2013, 09:38:59 PM »
Out of curiosity - what's the server's stance on player-created furnishings/scenery/whatnot? As in, placeables that can be created and put down at the player's whim? Has it ever been suggested in the past?

For the most part it doesn't seem necessary to the direction of the setting, but Crimson and Grendel raise good points.
Artur Iliescu | Former Corporal of the Vallaki Garda (Retired)

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2013, 10:34:06 PM »
Generally, barring very specific instances like a planned theatre performance or auction it's not something we do.

Basically, when zones were developed by our Devs a certain look, mood and feel was intended that would fit in with the flavor of the server. Giving PCs the ability to alter that mood on a whim even if they had a very good RP reason would damage the universal cohesion the team is going for.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2013, 10:59:01 PM »
Campfires.
I believe there are chest peaceables also but I could be miss remembering.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2013, 11:48:13 PM »
Campfires.

Campfires, tents, bedrolls, chests, off the top of my head. You can make a rather awesome-looking camp if you're inclined.
: )

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2013, 11:50:29 PM »
Best temp placeable is the birdcage IMO

Marsi

• Undead Master
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2013, 06:48:04 AM »
time to build a bird museum
Artur Iliescu | Former Corporal of the Vallaki Garda (Retired)

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 09:28:35 AM »
Campfires.

Campfires, tents, bedrolls, chests, off the top of my head. You can make a rather awesome-looking camp if you're inclined.

Birdcages, picnic baskets, candles (various types) and hookahs. Not entirely sure if the latter is a placeable or just an item with a use.

emptyanima

• Making & Breaking Characters Since May 2013
  • Church of Ezra - Refuge of Fifth Light
  • Dark Power
  • She Who Slays Dragons
    • Emptyanima Portrait Pack
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2013, 09:30:06 AM »
Birdcages, picnic baskets, candles (various types) and hookahs. Not entirely sure if the latter is a placeable or just an item with a use.

The hookah is placeable, discovered this about a week or so ago.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2013, 09:46:32 AM »

Oh, I bet you did...  ;)

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #41 on: November 29, 2013, 10:11:01 PM »

Oh, I bet you did...  ;)

Classy *hi5s* vengeful
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company