Author Topic: Redundant items discussion  (Read 14241 times)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Re: Redundant items discussion
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2014, 02:35:08 AM »
Messenger Blades are basically Enchanted Whetstones that require Exotic. Is there any reason whatsoever that these are even in the game?
They're different enough from each other. You can't attack with the whetstone, they're made of different materials, and the whetstone is less gp and thus more common.

The messenger blade has a bunch of things that make it more impractical to use in combat than a whetstone. -1 str, -2 con IIRC, as well as - enchantment bonuses.
: )

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2014, 03:21:58 AM »
Messenger Blades are basically Enchanted Whetstones that require Exotic. Is there any reason whatsoever that these are even in the game?
They're different enough from each other. You can't attack with the whetstone, they're made of different materials, and the whetstone is less gp and thus more common.

The messenger blade has a bunch of things that make it more impractical to use in combat than a whetstone. -1 str, -2 con IIRC, as well as - enchantment bonuses.
It has a +1 enhancement bonus

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Sinful_Wishes

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2014, 07:15:54 PM »

I think the point here is that why would people want to find a more specific, bad version of a whetstone that takes the place of an item they 'could' have gotten. And I'm sure if you compared the value of this kukri to other kukri's in the loot tables, those are better too- So in a situation of combat where someone is going to use a kukri, this will just be another use-and-switch (like the whetstones.)
Oswald: I vanted a bag of traps, but all I got vas genitals.
Ophelia: I got Osvald's bag of traps, now I'm forever encumberedt.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2014, 07:27:58 PM »
On the topic of -stat items sucking, they really do. I'd maybe use things that lower int/wis/cha, if I didn't need those stats for other things, but str/dex/con? C'mon. Nobody is realistically going to use those unless they're in a situation like Bruhm, who has 18 con and can afford to wear -2 con armor that gives him decent DR.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 07:55:03 PM »

I think the point here is that why would people want to find a more specific, bad version of a whetstone that takes the place of an item they 'could' have gotten. And I'm sure if you compared the value of this kukri to other kukri's in the loot tables, those are better too- So in a situation of combat where someone is going to use a kukri, this will just be another use-and-switch (like the whetstones.)
The whetstone is utterly useless as a weapon, even more useless than the messenger blade. You can actually hit something with a messenger blade. And yes, there are better kukris. So what? There aren't a whole lot of kukris to choose from.

On the topic of -stat items sucking, they really do. I'd maybe use things that lower int/wis/cha, if I didn't need those stats for other things, but str/dex/con? C'mon. Nobody is realistically going to use those unless they're in a situation like Bruhm, who has 18 con and can afford to wear -2 con armor that gives him decent DR.
If it had negative int/wis/cha it wouldn't have real drawback, because the characters that need those stats would never use a kukri anyway.

In any event, the messenger blade is sufficiently different from the whetstone that it does not qualify as a redundant item, and discussing stat penalties is off-topic for this thread.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #55 on: February 18, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »
Not so much redundant, but the Necklaces of Kali?  The things drop more commonly than copper necklaces.  They should be upgraded, in all honesty.  Right now, they're vendor trash.

Geiger

« Reply #56 on: February 18, 2014, 08:33:08 PM »
Yeah or dropped.

Just weird to find Sri Raji Relics all over Barovia like it's no thing. lol.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #57 on: February 18, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
Yeah or dropped.

Just rename it "Disturbing Fetish" or somethin' if you keep it.  Then give it some better stats.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2014, 10:41:30 PM »
Yeah or dropped.

Just rename it "Disturbing Fetish" or somethin' if you keep it.  Then give it some better stats.
Same goes for all the other cultural items from the islands.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2014, 10:43:49 PM »
Yeah or dropped.

No, damnit. I have an idea for a Korobokuru trader from Rokushima Taiyoo whose caravan was hit and all of his things were taken by bandits.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2014, 10:46:31 PM »
Yeah or dropped.

No, damnit. I have an idea for a Korobokuru trader from Rokushima Taiyoo whose caravan was hit and all of his things were taken by bandits.
...That's a pretty big caravan.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2014, 01:47:34 AM »
Not so much redundant, but the Necklaces of Kali?  The things drop more commonly than copper necklaces.  They should be upgraded, in all honesty.  Right now, they're vendor trash.
Keep it on topic, please. This topic is only for redundant items. The topic you want is this one: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=31015.0

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2014, 01:22:03 PM »
Catchka. Randomly found a stack of them in the sewers below Vallaki.
They're throwing weapons that are exactly identical to normal throwing axes.

Same goes for the rusted (and rotten for armour) variants that only have a -1 added to them.
In all my years on this server, I don't think I've heard of anyone using rusted or rotten items once.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 01:33:27 PM by Feronius »

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2014, 04:53:54 PM »
To be fair rusted and rotted arms and armor are used by the skeletons and such around the server. Giving most pristine weapons would be a touch odd and would throw out the difficulty
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2014, 12:32:42 PM »
To be fair rusted and rotted arms and armor are used by the skeletons and such around the server. Giving most pristine weapons would be a touch odd and would throw out the difficulty

You make a very good point there.

Also noticed there are two types of "Lead Bullets" sold in Port-A-Lucine, I can't tell whether there's any difference between the two besides the price.
One type is essentially free or 1 gold piece at most, the other costs around 66 gold pieces for 10 bullets. The different types don't stack together.
(The former being sold by the Gearling Family Dealership and the latter being sold by the caliban smith in the alley directly across the street.)

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2014, 12:47:34 PM »

Also noticed there are two types of "Lead Bullets" sold in Port-A-Lucine, I can't tell whether there's any difference between the two besides the price.
One type is essentially free or 1 gold piece at most, the other costs around 66 gold pieces for 10 bullets. The different types don't stack together.
(The former being sold by the Gearling Family Dealership and the latter being sold by the caliban smith in the alley directly across the street.)

Sling and Gun bullets by the sound of what you're saying. It's two different types of bullet. Perhaps it would be easier if the normal gun ammo was called lead-shot or something similar instead?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 12:49:37 PM by RedwizardD »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2014, 01:01:54 PM »

Sling and Gun bullets by the sound of what you're saying. It's two different types of bullet. Perhaps it would be easier if the normal gun ammo was called lead-shot or something similar instead?

Both sold by gunsmiths and from what I can tell they both have the "use" function, implying they both count as pistol ammo.
My character hasn't got the exotic weapon proficiency feat just yet, so I can't test out both of the bullet types to be sure.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 01:03:49 PM by Feronius »

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2014, 03:55:29 PM »
Catchka. Randomly found a stack of them in the sewers below Vallaki.
They're throwing weapons that are exactly identical to normal throwing axes.
They're a different material type than throwing axes and won't be destroyed by rust monsters/black puddings, so they're not redundant.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »
So, Istvan the Sages Guide to a Woodsman's Life.

-3 Intelligence

+1 Search

+1 Lore

Both of those are nullified by using the item.

While there are other "benefits", and I use that term lightly, the item is in general useless.  Sold to a vendor immediately upon finding.

Ercvadasz

• Dark Power
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2014, 05:21:19 PM »

-3 Intelligence

+1 Search

+1 Lore

While there are other "benefits", and I use that term lightly, the item is in general useless.  Sold to a vendor immediately upon finding.

have brought up this about a year ago. Was a minor debate but they are still around sadly. Completely and utterly useless item. And for this it drops more times then the necklace of kali.
Currently playing:
Rudrig von Rachenthall - the travelling merchant

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #70 on: August 05, 2014, 04:13:06 PM »

-3 Intelligence

+1 Search

+1 Lore

have brought up this about a year ago. Was a minor debate but they are still around sadly. Completely and utterly useless item. And for this it drops more times then the necklace of kali.
Again, this is not the topic for items that are "useless" or "broken." You want this topic: http://www.nwnravenloft.com/forum/index.php?topic=31015.0