Author Topic: Let's get rid of confirming travel to Mist Camp  (Read 4210 times)

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
Let's get rid of confirming travel to Mist Camp
« on: November 10, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »
When you engage a Vistani asking to travel to the Mist Camp, there are several steps to the conversation, the last one is "Are you really sure you want to go to the Mist Camp, it will cost additional coin to travel anywhere else?""

This extra step takes a few seconds for me when I am lagging, which is often.  Granted this is not a big amount of time but it can be tedious.

I understand why this was introduced, it's to protect wandering noobs from getting trapped by running out of gold.  My thinking, however, is that a new player who has managed to make it to Tser Pool alone probably has 200 coins....and if they don't, the odds are good that they will meet a friendly PC or at the least be able to hitch a ride soon enough.   

I feel this confirmation step is not necessary and it ought to be eliminated.

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
Re: Let's get rid of confirming travel to Mist Camp
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 08:21:40 PM »
When you engage a Vistani asking to travel to the Mist Camp, there are several steps to the conversation, the last one is "Are you really sure you want to go to the Mist Camp, it will cost additional coin to travel anywhere else?""

This extra step takes a few seconds for me when I am lagging, which is often.  Granted this is not a big amount of time but it can be tedious.

I understand why this was introduced, it's to protect wandering noobs from getting trapped by running out of gold.  My thinking, however, is that a new player who has managed to make it to Tser Pool alone probably has 200 coins....and if they don't, the odds are good that they will meet a friendly PC or at the least be able to hitch a ride soon enough.   

+1. Any chance to get rid of the tedious cart ride would also be welcome. Granted its useful for people to get snacks or go to the bathroom etc....oh...and I guess sometimes they role play in there too, but on a smoothly functioning server its draining to sit upwards of six minutes doing nothing. If the servers been up awhile or during crash resets when people start getting bottlenecked in the Mist Camp its aggressively annoying.

swbf2lord

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 09:21:09 PM »
I for one appreciate the breaks. Give me a chance to buff if I'm going somewhere I have combat right out of, or take a brief break for RL stuff

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 09:22:52 PM »
I like the caravan rides. I think they're great.
: )

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:21 AM »
I think their a great way to cultivate narcolepsy. That's about it.

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, 10:37:37 AM »
I like the caravan rides. It is the conversation that seems to be redundant. I cringe every time I have to buy travel, because it's just... so tediously redundant! there is a better way to stream line that conversation I think. And i always get caught up asking for information by accident. I think that should maybe not be an option after you 've purchased travel.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

Anonymoose

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 10:51:42 AM »
And while we're at it tell Strahd to hire ice road truckers so we can insta teleport from Vallaki to Midway during winter time as well, man those long runs induce narcolepsy.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, 11:37:30 AM »

When the server is lagging badly this step can actually take several minutes to pay for the travel. If you are particularly unlucky, your companions will have left without you during this time.

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, 12:02:05 PM »

When the server is lagging badly this step can actually take several minutes to pay for the travel. If you are particularly unlucky, your companions will have left without you during this time.

I don't think I follow you. Only one of you needs to pay to travel if you are going as a group.

Unless you mean that you are on your way to meet a party already massed in another Domain and they get tired of waiting and leave w/o you.

I hope it's the latter. Don't give those thieving Vistani scum anything more than they deserve!
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

LadyDragn

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, 12:09:55 PM »
The Vistani won't charge twice Vinc. If someone already paid, you will get the message that a caravan is already underway. IF they haven't rung the bell inside. If they have, then he tells you there's no caravan available.

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 12:11:19 PM »
Is that newish?

At some point as PC I feel like I recall being able to pay multiple fares.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

swbf2lord

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »
Is that newish?

At some point as PC I feel like I recall being able to pay multiple fares.

For the entire time I've played, that's how it's been. One fare per wagon.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 01:41:52 PM »

I don't think I follow you. Only one of you needs to pay to travel if you are going as a group.

Unless you mean that you are on your way to meet a party already massed in another Domain and they get tired of waiting and leave w/o you.

I hope it's the latter. Don't give those thieving Vistani scum anything more than they deserve!

Actually they have on occasion charged me twice. But what I mean is this. There have been times where that lag is exceptionally bad and you have to wait a few minutes for the next prompt to appear. Very rarely it has taken so long to confirm that I confirm that I wish to confirm that I want to travel that the caravan has left without me and I have to wait another cycle to try again.

LadyDragn

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »
Ah, I see what he's saying. The lag gets bad enough that while he's paying and confirming the 3 minutes have passed and the caravan goes on its way.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 05:00:07 PM »
The caravan rides are great they open up conversation with travellers and and for the alone travel and the 3 minute wait. Remember that you are travelling over countries and across boarders realisticly its not going to be instant and the hour in game pc ride is very quick going from say barovia to dementaliu.

But yes i agree shorten down the conversation selection.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:02:55 PM by Juice »

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 07:33:23 AM »
Yeah lets -not- get rid of the caravan rides, its already jarring to hear people talking about basically country hopping. While I would like the confirmation gone it is helpful for new players to see.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 12:12:08 PM »
Well, one could jack up the price for caravan and force the poor to take the mist ways. You know, like how it actually is giving the Vistani being stereotyped as untrustworthy

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 05:04:56 PM »
That's actually a pretty decent suggestion. Maybe not too terribly much, but enough that would make perhaps "pooling" for fare and traveling in groups a thing.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

swbf2lord

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 05:42:01 PM »
Well, one could jack up the price for caravan and force the poor to take the mist ways. You know, like how it actually is giving the Vistani being stereotyped as untrustworthy
The biggest issue I see, and not with this idea per se, but the 100gp for a caravan is that the "untrustworthy" Vistani charge less for a caravan ride through the Mists than do the Barovian ferry captains for a brief trip across the lake. Not to mention a ferry trip is per person, whereas with a caravan you can take a group.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 05:42:51 PM »
I seem to recall it was requested that there be a confirmation step to avoid accidental loss of money or time. I'm getting old and my memory is not what it once was but I do recall something along though lines when the caravan trips were first implemented.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Aahz

• Dark Power
  • People don't like to be meddled with.
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 06:43:38 PM »
The biggest issue I see, and not with this idea per se, but the 100gp for a caravan is that the "untrustworthy" Vistani charge less for a caravan ride through the Mists than do the Barovian ferry captains for a brief trip across the lake. Not to mention a ferry trip is per person, whereas with a caravan you can take a group.

Well the solution for that is to lower the cost of the ferry!  :D
"It never ceases to amaze me how bent out of shape adult people can get in a discussion on the best way to play make believe."

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 06:57:54 PM »

Well the solution for that is to lower the cost of the ferry!  :D

They have said before the ferry costs what it does to prevent using it for the delivery quests.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 06:58:09 PM »
I seem to recall it was requested that there be a confirmation step to avoid accidental loss of money or time. I'm getting old and my memory is not what it once was but I do recall something along though lines when the caravan trips were first implemented.
Correction, addiction lost of money due to lag.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

HoshaZilo

• Undead Master
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2013, 11:40:20 AM »
There's also the issue of the Caravan being within range of the most common place to RP in the mist camp, so you're often bogged down by people going through quite a lengthy conversation that no on ever reads, and instead having to scroll up what was previously said by those who you're RPing with. Not the biggest issue but enough to annoy me.

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »

I can understand the thinking behind this, however, the confirmation step itself is what costs me time...a little bit here and there, but quite a bit in the long run.  It would be different if I had a lightning fast connection to the server, which I don't.

(Note to the rest who are discussing whether or not to you like the 3 minute wagon ride...please make another thread for that discussion)