Author Topic: Forum Suggestion - "Guilds & Factions" section  (Read 2778 times)

Feronius

• Dark Power
Forum Suggestion - "Guilds & Factions" section
« on: October 31, 2013, 12:15:07 PM »

Every online roleplaying community I can remember having been a part of has always had a section devoted to guilds or guild recruitment on their forums, or whatever the equivelant of an organised group was called, except for this community. When you first join these forums it actually takes you quite a bit of searching to discover where to find information about the current DM factions and PC factions. So here is my suggestion, a "Guilds & Factions" section.

The title of the thread really says it all, but since this community is such a tough crowd to please I have explained the suggestion in more detail below.

What is this suggestion for a "Guilds & Factions" section?

A new forum section, just like the "Roleplay Discussion" or "Biographies" section, but with the single purpose of allowing organised groups and factions to create their own individual threads.

This forum section will allow a unique thread for every existing supported faction, player-created faction and even small organised groups where you can quickly find everything you need to know about said organisation in a single thread. As well as whatever other information the faction wants to communicate in the thread, this can be a more detailed original post with a recruitment section or detailed ranking structure, but it could also be in the form of regular updates about storylines or notifications on the faction's current recruitment status.

Supported factions will of course still be a stickied thread, whether all in one thread or seperate threads, so that they remain central and do not end up somewhere on page three.

Why would we want a "Guilds & Factions" section?

Currently there are two threads hidden away in the Ravenloft Discussion section of the forums, one for player-created factions and one for supported factions. These threads contain a lot of inactive organisations and suffer from a lack of consistent updates, there's really no quick way for members to see which faction is active and which has not been around for a long time. And not every faction allows you to easily contact them in-game (some of them are very secretive) nor to easily reach out through personal messages, this is made especially difficult if you discover the faction is no longer active or recruiting which often means finding out because you are not getting any response at all. On top of that new players often have trouble even finding these threads.

With a designated area on the forums devoted to guilds and factions you can tell which factions are active in an instant simply by looking at the most recent activity of the threads. Or by posting a reply and inquiring about the organisation? Information on organised groups and factions will be easier to find, it will be easier to update and moderate, it will be easier to communicate with said organisations and it gives each faction more room to explain what they are all about or have been up to recently.

But perhaps most important of all, this will encourage players to get involved in factions more and it should make it easier for them to do so.

But...

There is always a but... I know the Prisoners of the Mist community has their own ways and partially covers this subject by granting a lot of factions their own private forum sections, but this solution only covers the larger and more supported groups. And it does not adress the issue of wanting to make forum navigation simpler and encouraging connections between players, making it more accessible for especially new people to get involved in all the good stuff. This suggestion is also not meant to replace these hidden sub-forums, but merely to compliment the forums and promote character connections.

There would also need to be rules for this forum section to work, exactly like how the "Local Gossip" section also has its own guidelines. The one pet peeve that immediately comes to mind is the constant senseless bumping of threads. This section should be used to inform people of the existing factions and encourage them to participate, but not to bump threads with twenty minute intervals before a player event is about to start. I am sure most people here have been a part of different communities before and know exactly what the purpose of a "Guild & Factions" section is and how it should be utilised, but it is probbly still worth noting that a sticky with some guidelines would be in place.

Optional

A small sub-section of this new forum section labeled "Character Connections", a thing quite often seen in roleplaying communities lately. This section encourages players to post threads that either ask for specific roleplaying connections with other people or offer them. And sometimes it is nothing more than a compilation of characters with similar connections which the other characters may recognise when meeting them in-game. This can be in the shape of family ties, similar backgrounds, shared origins and even racial heritage or pastime activities your character may have, from professions to common ground in religion. We have a couple of similar threads already currenty, but spread out across various different forum sections. Just an optional addition in the form of a sub-section to the suggested "Guilds & Factions" section.

Thank you for bothering to read this suggestion or at least scrolling down to the bottom of the post!

P.S. I honestly do not care what the moderators decide to name the section if they do implement it, the name "Guilds & Factions" is also only a suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:36:22 PM by Feronius »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Forum Suggestion - "Guilds & Factions" section
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 01:30:12 PM »
Factions have had their own sub-forums since the inception of the server. They're not visible if you're not in the faction. Player-created factions will not receive support on the forums.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 02:28:46 PM »
Factions have had their own sub-forums since the inception of the server. They're not visible if you're not in the faction. Player-created factions will not receive support on the forums.

I am well aware of those first two things. But for a moment there I was not sure whether you were just clearing up a common misconception or if the last part was a definite answer in response to this entire suggestion thread and any other future suggestions related to player-created factions in any way, shape or form. But to clarify, just in case it was actually misunderstood, this suggestion was to add a new public section to the forums for factions and other organised roleplay. Not a suggestion to give every player-created faction their own hidden sub-forum, I felt like I should point that out in case people did misread the intention behind this thread.

Not attempting to argue against the above statement in any way, we all know that would be a waste of breath. You are the justice, not I.

Geiger

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 02:38:18 PM »
I could see some value of having all the factions grouped under one sub board. Like Garda, Ezrites, Erudites, etc, and their respective IC and OOC boards placed in their subcategories. Then there could be an overall OOC Faction/Guilds board.

But that'd take work, and I think Blue's the only guy that does the forum movement stuff in heavy doses, unless I am mistaken. I'd not wish that on Bluemigo.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:09:30 PM »
The purpose of having separate faction boards is because inside some of these boards are things like enemies of your faction, IC discussions on what to do about faction problems and some other sensitive information that shouldnt be seen by anyone outside of the faction, And really what manner of chaos could spawn on a shared OOC Faction Board but i would think the board would just fall away and hardly anyone would post in it. Better of making threads for this sort of thing no a dedicated board.

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 03:20:52 PM »

I am well aware of those first two things. But for a moment there I was not sure whether you were just clearing up a common misconception or if the last part was a definite answer in response to this entire suggestion thread and any other future suggestions related to player-created factions in any way, shape or form. But to clarify, just in case it was actually misunderstood, this suggestion was to add a new public section to the forums for factions and other organised roleplay. Not a suggestion to give every player-created faction their own hidden sub-forum, I felt like I should point that out in case people did misread the intention behind this thread.

Not attempting to argue against the above statement in any way, we all know that would be a waste of breath. You are the justice, not I.
That just seems redundant to me. Existing factions already have their own IC/OOC forum subsections to do all that you're suggesting.

Also, making a specific subsection for player-created factions would seem as if we were endorsing/supporting those groups.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 10:37:35 PM »
That just seems redundant to me. Existing factions already have their own IC/OOC forum subsections to do all that you're suggesting.

I agree the hidden sub-forums are great. But they are limited to only players that are already members of the faction.
They do not offer a place for recruitment messages or communicating anything towards those not (yet) part of the group.
Spoiler: show
(Faction-related rumours, the current recruitment status, a place for interested players to ask questions, public notifications, whether the faction is currently active, more information and resources on the organisation, a change in leadership or contactperson, etc. Currently all of those things are spread all across the forums like an incomplete trail of breadcrumbs that every new player has to try and make sense of. You can't post those things in the one stickied thread.)

Also, making a specific subsection for player-created factions would seem as if we were endorsing/supporting those groups.

No, the suggestion was not to implement a forum section meant only for player-created factions, but for factions and groups in general.
Encouraging players to interact more with factions, including (or especially) supported factions, was why I created this tread.

And it seems doubtful a forum section would actually communicate the message that you are supporting player-created factions, at least not in the way of leading people to believe they can suddenly expect DM support for their player-created groups or anything like that. That would be silly. Whether you post in a small forum section or try to keep it all contained within a single stickied thread, the message that is being conveyed by allowing either the forum section or a dedicated stickied thread to exist is pretty much the exact same, right? Player-created factions and group concepts will continue to exist regardless. And everyone knows only supported factions receive DM support, that's probably also in the server rules or guidelines somewhere.

That said, I understand how you still see this as unecessary or just something that is not needed badly enough. I am not planning to fight you on that, sorry if I am beating a dead horse.
But it would have been silly if this thread got dismissed while people believed the actual suggestion was a forum section only for player-created factions, hence the additional elaboration.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:54:32 PM by Feronius »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »
As this suggestion is clearly not going to happen, I hope nobody minds if I use this thread to bring up a small closely related issue then?
(It feels out of place to post it in the threads themselves or to start a new thread and I honestly have no clue who to direct the personal message to.)

Just want to suggest for someone with forum moderating capabilities to go over the Supported Factions thread and the Player-created Factions thread.
Remove the inactive / disbanded groups, update the contactpersons, possibly indicate which factions are not recruiting or on hold. I think it would be helpful.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:52:35 PM by Feronius »

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 11:36:47 PM »

Why wouldn't the team want to endorse player factions ?

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »

Player factions come and go not many stick around to become frequently played factions how ever some do like the clockwork goose or ... or the.....theatre?
If every player created faction got its own board and then died less than a year after its creation then this forum would be filled with unused boards and threads just taking up space.
Not to mention the time and effort put into creating these boards for a faction that may not even last a few days.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 11:48:42 PM by Juice »

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 11:53:00 PM »

Player factions come and go not many stick around to become frequently played factions how ever some do like the clockwork goose or ... or the.....theatre?
If every player created faction got its own board and then died less than a year after its creation then this forum would be filled with unused boards and threads just taking up space.
Not to mention the time and effort put into creating these boards for a faction that may not even last a few days.
This, plus we prefer to focus on groups that are found in published Ravenloft books. Player-created factions tend to be non-canon stuff.

There are exceptions, of course. Both the Ezrites and Morninglord Cult started as player-made groups, but since they were also canon groups and they had longevity beyond the initial players who formed them, they were made officially endorsed factions.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 12:05:48 AM »
I understand. A general forum section for factions isn't the same thing as an entire board for one faction by the way.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 12:40:02 AM »
I understand. A general forum section for factions isn't the same thing as an entire board for one faction by the way.
It's still rather redundant because there would be two sections of the forums for essentially the same purpose. I'm not convinced that "recruitment" is enough of a need for that redundancy. Factions can use the existing IC boards for IC recruitment, or better yet, do so in-game. ;)

EberronBruce

• Dark Power
  • Legos
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:06:00 AM »
Also to comment on this. Tomorrow morning my time I will try to run an expedition event. Saturday at around 800am Vietnam time (give or take an hour or so, and depending if there is no problems) which puts it around 600pm Pacific time Friday night if I am correct.

I called for several different good align factions to help me tomorrow. I hope people will show up.
The Morninglords (if they show up)
Wayfarer Kinship
Lightbringers (if any one of them shows up)
The elves (not a faction, but asking them for help)
Friends of elven characters
and others...

As player factions, we often time have our own forums. If you are interested in the Lightbringers, I can help make some connections.

Hope this helps.