You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Enchanting glitch  (Read 1796 times)

Ellana Twiggy

Enchanting glitch
« on: October 19, 2013, 12:30:10 PM »

The crossbow was only suppose to cost 11000, but its taking 14000. Posting under systems to help others from making same mistake. Also, if I might be able to get assistance in getting that 3k xp back I would be most appreciative.

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
Re: Enchanting glitch
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 12:48:27 PM »
You lost 14,000 experience because the 11,000 you lost took you down from level 15.  When you cross the level threshold, you're going to lose an entire level's worth of experience to cause the shift.  It's not a glitch, it's just the way the obscure experience system works on this server.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »
And what remained is in the Buffer for XP so you didnt loose it, this is not a bug

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 01:17:12 PM »
Wait how explain how Its only suppose to loose 11,000 and it ends up costing 14,000? Because I don't get that?

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 01:27:34 PM »
Okay, there's basically two XP counts:

- NWN XP count, which you see on your character sheet, and which controls your level.

- PotM buffer XP, which controls how much XP actually goes to your NWN XP count; but you can't check this count except through the rest message.

When you get enough XP for a new level, for example going from level 13 to 14, the PotM buffer will deduct 14,000 XP from itself, and add 14,000 XP to the NWN XP count. Equally, when you lose a level, the buffer will deduct 14,000XP from your NWN XP count -- which is what you see on the screen.

So basically this is what happened:

* the enchanting process checked Sudhri's XP level and saw that she didn't have 11,000 XP in her buffer to pay for the enchantment -- let's say for the sake of argument she only had 6,000 XP.

* She needs more XP then, and the XP buffer needs to get this from the NWN XP count. So it makes Sudhri go down a level.

* But this doesn't just pass to Sudrhi's buffer the XP she needs -- it will pass all 14,000 of level 14 to the XP buffer.

* Sudhri's buffer will now contain 20,000 XP (the original 6,000 plus 14,000). From this, the enchanting process deducts 11,000.

* Sudhri is now left with 9,000XP in her buffer or so, but this remains uncheckable as per the buffer functionment.
Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 02:12:59 PM »
Its a very simple XP system to understand if you have actually looked into it

• Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 02:17:06 PM »
Okay, there's basically two XP counts:

- NWN XP count, which you see on your character sheet, and which controls your level.

- PotM buffer XP, which controls how much XP actually goes to your NWN XP count; but you can't check this count except through the rest message.

When you get enough XP for a new level, for example going from level 13 to 14, the PotM buffer will deduct 14,000 XP from itself, and add 14,000 XP to the NWN XP count. Equally, when you lose a level, the buffer will deduct 14,000XP from your NWN XP count -- which is what you see on the screen.

So basically this is what happened:

* the enchanting process checked Sudhri's XP level and saw that she didn't have 11,000 XP in her buffer to pay for the enchantment -- let's say for the sake of argument she only had 6,000 XP.

* She needs more XP then, and the XP buffer needs to get this from the NWN XP count. So it makes Sudhri go down a level.

* But this doesn't just pass to Sudrhi's buffer the XP she needs -- it will pass all 14,000 of level 14 to the XP buffer.

* Sudhri's buffer will now contain 20,000 XP (the original 6,000 plus 14,000). From this, the enchanting process deducts 11,000.

* Sudhri is now left with 9,000XP in her buffer or so, but this remains uncheckable as per the buffer functionment.

Is there a way they can fix this so it show the correct amount of xp your going to loose, Say your planing to do more then one item and you have figured out that it wont loose you a level and suddenly it does. This would make me upset and I believe it should be fixed some how if it can be fixed.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »
uhm... at best you can do an about calculation, and not an accurate calculation. Since you dont know the exact numbers.
There is no bug, and its part of the NWN base game that forces the system to inform you that it took a whole XP worth of XP. But it didnt