Author Topic: Level through RP  (Read 3585 times)

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
Level through RP
« on: October 02, 2013, 01:21:35 AM »
Since I started playiing here I noticed that you can gain expercience when RPing and I was wondering a few thing about it.

First : how do you gain those experience point's ? Is it the more you speak or the longuer your sentence's are?

Second: Can you actually lvl a character only by rping and does it worth it? ( I mean time wise )

Third : Is the exp stack as you level ? Like does it give you more exp higher you are?

I know you can calculte the rewarding of RPING by exp but I really wonder how to mech work...

Im dont know if im in the good place for this question but thank you anyway.
Jeune Bérurier!

swbf2lord

Re: Level through RP
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »
Since I started playiing here I noticed that you can gain expercience when RPing and I was wondering a few thing about it.

First : how do you gain those experience point's ? Is it the more you speak or the longuer your sentence's are?

Second: Can you actually lvl a character only by rping and does it worth it? ( I mean time wise )

Third : Is the exp stack as you level ? Like does it give you more exp higher you are?

I know you can calculte the rewarding of RPING by exp but I really wonder how to mech work...

Im dont know if im in the good place for this question but thank you anyway.

I'd play for the RP itself, over the experience it gives. Certainly the experience is an incentive to role-play, but you ought not force RP just for experience.
I've been told that the experience does increase as you level, and it is possible to level entirely off of RP xp. It grants xp by IG hour, and you have to talk
a certain amount of times in that hour. I believe it's twice. Again, the experience points shouldn't be the reason you role-play, it should be for the enjoyment
of the RP itself.

NecroDude

• Undead Slayer
  • ~Skype: thenotoriouscloak~ "The dead walketh"
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 01:40:33 AM »
I gained my first 4 levels off of pure roll play! And I've got to say it was immensely refreshing compared to bashing dungeons for xp, so imo well worth it. Its an investment of time, and really depends on your playing style. If you have the dedication and enjoy sitting there for a couple hours rping I say definately do it. I don't know how much, or specifically how it is gained, but its usually over time intervals, and I would assume that the longer you can keep the rp intervals the more xp you get from it each time. As to levels affecting it.. I'm not sure about that either, whether the amount of rp gain is increased or decreased the higher you are.. I really can just say that compared to bashing dungeons I've found that RPing is not only worth it, but much more fun, I'd take a good rp over a good dungeon anyday..

Characters: Morvis X'angondur (Secondary) Markus Shadebane/Julius Lightbringer, Wererat (Dead) Adrian Von Viklov (Main Character) Bash'ar Romenestos (Alt) Lillian Greyfeather (Alt)

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 02:05:37 AM »
If you try to focus on leveling through RP xp, you are going to go insane. Just let it happen.
: )

The Woodsman

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 02:24:51 AM »
If you try to focus on leveling through RP xp, you are going to go insane. Just let it happen.

this

Geiger

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 02:56:52 AM »
The RP bonus of exp is just a "neat thing", it isn't intended to be the sole source of that stuff. Keep in mind that this still DnD, and most of your exp will come from quests with DMs and dungeon crawling. You'll go mad trying otherwise.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 03:30:02 AM »
The RP bonus of exp is just a "neat thing", it isn't intended to be the sole source of that stuff. Keep in mind that this still DnD, and most of your exp will come from quests with DMs and dungeon crawling. You'll go mad trying otherwise.

I took Eliza to level 14 without hitting a dungeon. Only took two years. :D

DM Vinculum

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 03:59:57 AM »
Back when I played my PCs, I got one native to around lv. 12 purely by being an active merchant. Was all RP and DM event XP. It's possible, takes a lot longer though.
Red Vardo Traders Faction DM
Fraternity of Shadows Faction DM

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 08:59:13 AM »

Levels 13+ for me have been largely dependent on RP XP. Except for level 18 I think it was, that's when I went and soloed dry liches every night cycle and was able to figure out how many dry liches it would take per rest message change. Actually, I found that when I did zero RP and just grinding, I gained significantly less XP than when I would RP as well as grind on the side. RP XP counted for a good third of my XP gain in that segment. So don't brush it off!

Tycat

• The Tabasco Bandit
  • Dark Power
  • Discord: Tycat#2415
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:37:34 AM »
just tossing it out there, that i got Gavaine nearly to level 10 now in the 4-3 months i have been playing him, hitting "the grind" (dungeoning, killing things on my way to and from places) around six times, and never for very long.

Someone told me once that the more people you rp with, the greater the rp bonus. Also you get xp from quests/jobs and being involved in DM moments. Alone, no, you don't. But that didn't stop me from rping with myself and only myself when i was locked up someplace. I am fairly certain i got some XP for that that i didn't notice, because my next rest gave me a level.

Best way to level is not to think about it. Let me say it again. The BEST way to level, Is NOT to think about it.
Tycat#2415 (discord)
Facebook Art Page @thetabascobandit
Instagram art Tycat_thetabscobandit
DeviantArt /Tybookins
YouTube Tabasco Bandit Theatre

Blessed Be, and keep creating.

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »
thank for the quick answer's ! you guy's are the best :)
Jeune Bérurier!

Bad_Bud

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2013, 12:31:28 PM »

I took Eliza to level 14 without hitting a dungeon. Only took two years. :D

I think the experience gains from roleplay have been reduced since that time.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2013, 01:16:19 PM »
But that didn't stop me from rping with myself and only myself when i was locked up someplace. I am fairly certain i got some XP for that that i didn't notice, because my next rest gave me a level.

As far as I know you don't get RP XP while on your own or talking to yourself, for pretty obvious reasons as it would be way too easy to abuse the system then, but you do sometimes still get RP XP for a scene that happened a little earlier. So getting XP for RP while the other players have already left the scene isn't all that uncommon. Or perhaps you weren't as alone as you thought? Cue the threathening creepy music.

The beauty of the system is that you can just focus on the RP and gain a little bit of XP as a reward without thinking about the game mechanics at all.
But to answer what I can, I'm pretty sure the length of your sentences or the amount of sentences don't influence the RP XP you get. I believe it simply measures whether you have interacted with people in an IC manner in the last X minutes and then grants you XP at regular intervals. It possibly takes into account how many people you're interacting with, not sure, but I honestly kind of doubt it does. That way lingering in the outskirts and taverns would be way too encouraged.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:21:09 PM by Feronius »