You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: So you like to barter...  (Read 2527 times)

Sinful_Wishes

• Undead Slayer
So you like to barter...
« on: September 24, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
Please, please, please.. when you decide to barter with someone and don't like the offer.. DO NOT press cancel.. let the person take the items back and clear the trade window. If said person's inventory is full when you cancel- It forces all the equipment on the ground and bugs them all, preventing them from being picked up again.
Oswald: I vanted a bag of traps, but all I got vas genitals.
Ophelia: I got Osvald's bag of traps, now I'm forever encumberedt.

BahamutZ3RO

• Master of Many Alts
  • Dark Power
Re: So you like to barter...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 05:19:43 PM »
 Sounds like incentive to sweeten the deal out of the gate! :twisted:

..Just kidding, I do not approve of fragging people's inventories.
: )

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 05:32:03 PM »
I've had this happen before too! Very frustrating to those of us that don't have inventory space. Be kind to your fellow pack-rats!
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 05:59:48 PM »
This!

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:30:14 PM »
Good to know. I had no idea this kind of thing happened.
Not all who wander are lost.

Badelaire

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, 03:32:21 PM »
To be honest, this is really the responsibility of the merchant to manage their own inventory. It's not like it's the recipient's fault for this small flaw in a system.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 03:57:39 PM »
Disagree entirely. Some dedicated merchants dedicate all their time to being a merchant. Meaning no adventuring. So if their inventory is filled with bags that's filled with things to play the full time merchant, I certainly wouldn't blame a complete and total OOC glitch in the game on the merchants 'unmanaged inventory'. Because it's just that. A glitch.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
Its not really a glitch, its a limitation of the engine. And the fact is your the only one who has controll over your inventory, and yes this Thread might help you out, the fact remains people will do this and it will not be malicious.

And I can assure you as a full time merchant, I have been there, you dont need to fill your inventory to have a good stock, I would say that is a sign your buying to much, and not selling enough. And need to think of what your taking in compared to what your sending out.

Badelaire

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
I've played several merchant characters who dealt with incredibly large volumes of stock for a long time and never found this to be a problem once. I'm no retail and marketing expert but the main goal of the merchant is to sell things to make money and clear their stock to take in fresh. If you're not shifting your wares then you are likely overpricing it, stocking something people do not really want or holding out to trade for that special magical game-breaking item you hope exists out there but doesn't.

Most of the time, full inventories come from people who have multiple crafts under their belt but can't complete certain recipes because they don't have X amount of crafting item and haven't had the time to go look for it.

You could simply send a tell stating "Sorry about this, my inventory is full and I need to shift it around. Would you mind just letting me move the items out the barter window here so I can sort it out?" Players like being spoken to like fellow players, not finger pointed at like they're bad bad people to blame for something completely trivial and out of their hands.

It's good that the bug is pointed out an' all but no one forces a player to fill their inventory with crap.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:45:41 PM by Badelaire »

Sinful_Wishes

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 05:04:45 PM »
Its not really a glitch, its a limitation of the engine. And the fact is your the only one who has controll over your inventory, and yes this Thread might help you out, the fact remains people will do this and it will not be malicious.

And I can assure you as a full time merchant, I have been there, you dont need to fill your inventory to have a good stock, I would say that is a sign your buying to much, and not selling enough. And need to think of what your taking in compared to what your sending out.

Just to comment on this, It was mostly an announcement to let people know that this does glitch things out. And in my own situation, Badelaire's fairly correct. My 'inventory' of equipment is only around 5-6 bags worth. When you top on everything else involved with crafting and junk, thats where the bulk of most packrats inventories are. (Gosh damn traps..)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 05:17:13 PM by Sėdhel »
Oswald: I vanted a bag of traps, but all I got vas genitals.
Ophelia: I got Osvald's bag of traps, now I'm forever encumberedt.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 05:28:53 PM »

...Yeah...

..oh, and that was after I was a merchant. FML.

Budly

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 05:32:30 PM »
I say this is a valid request and one that cannot be taken to the CC.

Mayhaps it is for the best to ask the person one trade with to not close the trade window.

It is a pain when items who been placed neatly or in bags suddenly drop out of the window cause of the poor management AI when the items go back. Also it is kind of an ooc annoyance when a lot of items jump back into the window when someone close the window as one show a lot of items.

This is not a big deal. Responibility arguement or anything like that. Just a nice gesture towards a trader. Im not here to argue or blame whom is to blame. Its not even a CC case. Sidhel simply points out and asks fairly something that can be a minor annoyance or a mayor if someone takes the chance to abuse this ooc faulty game mechanic to steal items.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 02:33:41 AM »
1st world ravenloft merchant problems

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 01:01:39 PM »
1st world ravenloft merchant problems
Leave the jokes in the Tavern please, and keep this on-topic

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002