You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Completely Stumped (Server Timeouts)  (Read 1136 times)

Jalthex

• Captain Hiatus
  • Undead Master
  • You make me touch your hands for stupid reasons!
Completely Stumped (Server Timeouts)
« on: September 04, 2013, 01:30:38 AM »
I have been trying for weeks on end to stay connected to the server, having hoped to come back to the game on the last New Character Week since my coursework is slim this semester. However, I'm having issues I've never had before.

I log into the server, occasionally getting a connection error, but usually logging in fine. I'll be in game for maybe five minutes, just long enough to almost respond to a surprised or excited greeting through a tell or two, and then I get kicked with a server timeout message. I know it's my end but I can't understand what the issue might be. I've tried reinstalling the game, haks, etc. I've tried messing with my internet, making my IP Static, Port-forwarding stuff again, messing with the Client port, all kinds of different logging in. I've tried praying, complaining, hitting things, blood rituals, etc. I've done everything I can think of to try and fix the issue, but nada.

It's across all of NWN multiplayer too.

Tornfear and I live in the same apartment, with the same internet and modem, and he has no issues with his connection. I'd blame the Netgear wireless adapter that connects me to the modem except the internet works fine with everything else, barring the occasional slowdown or hiccup. I used to log in fine with the same getup- same internet, modem, and everything.

I can't think of anything at this point, and I looked on the forums here and in others to see if any other persons might have had this issue but couldn't find anything. My next idea is to just go ahead and blame the adapter, buy a new one, and see what happens but I'd rather not waste money on something that won't work or isn't necessary.

If anyone has any ideas as to what the issue might be, I'm happy to try anything; sacrificing my soul to the Dark Powers for a solution not being off the table. :P

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Jeebs

• Dark Lord
Re: Completely Stumped (Server Timeouts)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2013, 01:47:20 AM »
I'd wager it's your wireless that is to blame. Wireless is fine for general net activities but it's BAD for games as it's not always a consistent connection. So many things can interfere with the signal. What I would suggest you try, if at all possible, is to plug into the modem directly and see if your problem persists. If it goes away, then you'll have learned that something is interfering with the signal (though to be honest, wireless is terribly unreliable for games) but if the issues persist, then we know it's something else causing your problems. I will ponder it and see if I can think of other potential causes while you try that.

DM Nocturne

• Sanguis Noctis
  • Dark Power
  • Vampires don't do dishes
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 02:00:30 AM »
You say you've tried everything but I'm going to throw some thoughts down on what might be the issue anyway.

- Packets might be getting dropped intermittently. This is a router issue, could be occuring between hops towards the server and back when it's communicating. Try pinging the server IP address a few times: 84.238.20.74, see if you get any timeouts.
- Check port forwarding again. It shouldn't be necessary to do so unless you're hosting but if you're getting timeouts some data isn't reaching you/getting blocked, possibly because your gateway works differently?
- Tornfear has no connection issues? Try using your wireless adaptor on his PC then let him log in using it, test it some, see if he gets the same issues. If he does, it's the wireless adaptor.
- I used to have an issue when in living in a hostel where the LAN lease would refresh every 30 minutes and take a few moments to reconnect, cancelling downloads and dropping me from games. Check if that's an issue for you under your LAN connection details.
- Wireless signal issues as Serillian suggested. Weather, concrete walls, other signals such as a microwave, etc, can disrupt your connection. Connect via cable if you can.

Soren / Zarathustra217

• Lead director, main scripter, nutty geek, Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 02:00:54 PM »
Make sure you don't both use the same client port. Go into the file "nwnplayer.ini" in your NWN installation directory, find the line called "Client Port=5120" and change the number to 5119, save+exit and see if it helps.