You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Hoth  (Read 8067 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Re: Hoth
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2014, 10:28:38 AM »
If the rest of the NWN community had that approach, NWNx and NWNcx that he benefits from probably wouldn't have developed as it have.

Anyway, we have considered NWNcx at some point, but you have to weigh it against having to ask everyone to install an additional mod (we already ask people who are entirely new to NWN for quite a bit), with the potential for causing new individual issues that we would be unable to offer much help with. Perhaps once it is more developed and has more features?

From my time on Sinfar, there seems to be very little trouble with such. Even for those who are first timers or not so very tech savvy. As long as step by step instructions are posted, doesn't seem a issue for the vast majority of people. Dont think many would mind downloading a little more for the huge payoff either.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2014, 10:36:06 AM »
Could you imagine all of the people asking DMs to resize their character to be their special snowflake height. Every single person who is more than 6 foot 4, every single person who is under 4 feet but doesn't want to roll a halfling or gnome.

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 10:44:53 AM »
Could you imagine all of the people asking DMs to resize their character to be their special snowflake height. Every single person who is more than 6 foot 4, every single person who is under 4 feet but doesn't want to roll a halfling or gnome.

This.

This is my worst fear.

There's probably more valid concerns, but...

Oh, ffs, the thought of this is about to make me cry.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 11:30:38 AM »
It would be easy enough to put a scripting to allow players to resize themselves on character creation. And you can set a limitation on it, so each race would have a 'standard range' allowable. 4'8"-6'4" or something for humans, for example. To keep things 'normal', and special cases could be handled separately, but not put a heavy load on the DMs for special requests.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 03:06:45 PM »
It would be easy enough to put a scripting to allow players to resize themselves on character creation. And you can set a limitation on it, so each race would have a 'standard range' allowable. 4'8"-6'4" or something for humans, for example. To keep things 'normal', and special cases could be handled separately, but not put a heavy load on the DMs for special requests.
Based on a series of simple health/genetic questions which will determine the height in a mathematical equation.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »

Elitist RPers would start judging people by how tall their character is. If it's max/min height, they will be dubbed noob. It'd be way more telling than with profiles, where people have to go out of their way to be cheesy and awful.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 05:43:10 PM »
Elite RPers also say 'What you see is what you get'.  I've had PC's with unusual bits, suck as tails, that clip through cloaks despite it logically not doing so, and being in the description that is does not do so. I've met plenty that also admit they do not read descriptions.

There's no pleasing the 'elitist RPers'. So I'd say focus less on them, and more on the people here to have fun.

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 07:04:25 PM »
I think the additional diversity in people's heights would make for a more colourful world.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

OITF

• Undead Slayer
  • The Stormlord
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 07:22:31 PM »
I think the additional diversity in people's heights would make for a more colourful world.

Every bloke is six foot plus (guilty!)

Every woman is 5'5 or shorter.

ʏᴏᴜʀ ғɪɢʜᴛ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ, ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ.

LivingWasteland

• Dark Lord
  • LOOT B4 LUV - TIEFLING LYFE
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 08:25:50 PM »

Every bloke is six foot plus (guilty!)

Every woman is 5'5 or shorter.

Joanna's 5'8, Luminita's 6'2. :D

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 09:33:32 PM »
Indeed, limits can be placed. The resize is actually limitless. Sinfar capped the max height at like 8 foot i believe? So would be easy to add more caps and per gender/race if desired.

But i agree, it would add another level of immersion. -HOWEVER- Such resizes mess with one thing, the "sitting" function, since they are larger/smaller the pc will hover above or sink into the chair/couch/etc. With sinfar such wasnt a issue because they had the manual positioning that gave you vastly more control over emotes and the like.

However i foresee such being a slight issue here, though it may not be. The community here is very mature and I dont think we would have to worry about such being disruptive. Since they get used often enough accidentally in rp when they arent meant to be used as is.

Another bonus to the manually positioning and such features is the "Lock in place" command which for us alt tabbers is a god send. If such a command can be added as is, please for all that is holy add such. It would end allot of randomly running off in a direction for many of us. . .

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 09:58:46 PM »
If the height differences are minimal, the glitching with chairs and such should also be kept at a minimum.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 10:57:14 PM »
Not really, not sure how to explain it. . . but it doesn't "lift" you the same it does with the dynamics. Like the feet dangling for hins and such. Doesn't do that, it keeps you ground leveled so a elf sized to the same height of a halfling would have the chair cut them in half where the halfling would "jump" up on the chair.

Maric Arnand

• Undead Slayer
  • The Gnome Master
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 11:27:45 PM »
Capped at 6'8 for human phenotype and 8'1 for the half-orc phenotype. The base human male phenotype being set as 6 feet tall.