Author Topic: Suggestion: Mute characters  (Read 1291 times)

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
Suggestion: Mute characters
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:35:53 AM »
Sometimes by player choice or story development a character will lose their ability to speak. I have had this happen to me twice and it has prompted me to dream up a system. I have no idea how much scripting would need to be or if it is feasible but what I would like to see is some support for characters who do not speak:

-Have a mute character trigger different dialogue choices with the world's NPCs that are emotes of actions like gesticulations instead of spoken words of dialogue.
-Have some way to make it obvious that their spells are cast as silent spell metamagic and not actually making all that noise of chanting.

Its probably very very low priority and would just be a nicety, but suggestions never hurt. Players react to visual stimuli over typed dialogue or emoted actions so its a challenge sometimes to portray a mute pc and issues arise. Worth a thought at least.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
Re: Suggestion: Mute characters
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 07:25:43 AM »
I think it wouldn't be too hard to just make a system to alter conversations if they detect something, that a DM can place on you? I'm planning a mute for NCW right now, so..... I'd be interested in seeing this go further.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Mcskinns

• Dark Lord
Re: Suggestion: Mute characters
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 11:24:39 AM »
initially it does sound good, but then the Dev team would need to alter every dialog in the game on every NPC.  This would be both time consuming and somewhat unnecessary.   Scripted conversations as they are depict a simple flowchart from point A to point B, they do not offer a lot of options, and often force a character to say something they would not necessarily say to achieve an end result.  It is easy enough to simply emote that you are pointing and gesturing when going through the dialogs.

Secondly, if using the Silent Spell feat, the voice component of the spell is already removed, you only see the visuals during casting, so the only way you'd be hearing the casting part of the spell is if the player was metagaming and not using the feat so they could cast more higher level spells.  I know from experience, I played a mute sorceress a while back, and every spell I casted was Silenced and never produced sound.

Sage - When stories come to life