You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Musket Misfire chance?  (Read 3490 times)

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Musket Misfire chance?
« on: July 20, 2013, 06:10:33 PM »
I'm wondering if this is a little high? I've not tested it extensively but it appears to backfire once every two or three shots... that appears high....
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Geiger

Re: Musket Misfire chance?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 06:17:44 PM »
Working as intended based on the scripts. It has no quality assigned to it.

Also: consider that muskets can be used over pistols, because they only require martial. They also double as a melee weapon. (They use the exact same scripts). This essentially makes them the same weapon, but one of them has several other advantages over the others.

I would guess in time there would be better ones.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:19:46 PM by Geiger »

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 08:38:14 PM »
They use the exact same script as the flintlock pistols, so the misfire chance is identical between the two.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 11:36:03 PM »
and that chance is based on what formula? I'm somewhat interested. I was wondering if it had some factors that people could aim to minimise to focus on better firearm handling.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 12:29:37 AM »
It's somewhere around 30%, although the script accounts for some adjustments. I'm just not quite sure what the adjustments are calculating because I'm not a scripter.

Code: [Select]
if (GetItemPropertyType(ipLoop)==ITEM_PROPERTY_QUALITY)
        {
            MUSKET_PERCENT_CHANCE_BACKFIRE = 30 - 3 * (GetItemPropertyCostTableValue(ipLoop) - 1);
                if(MUSKET_PERCENT_CHANCE_BACKFIRE < 0)
                MUSKET_PERCENT_CHANCE_BACKFIRE = 0;
        }
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 12:33:19 AM by Bluebomber4evr »

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

OITF

• Undead Slayer
  • The Stormlord
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 01:52:48 AM »
I find muskets hilarious. Whenever I use it, it either misfires or it crits and blows something to hell.

ʏᴏᴜʀ ғɪɢʜᴛ ɪs ᴡɪᴛʜ ᴍᴇ, ᴛʀᴀɪᴛᴏʀ.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 04:53:16 AM »
I've had one blow up on me like 4 times in a row. I feel aprogs pain, because I love those things. and I want the better qaulity guns to be released... get me an enchanted rifle.

+2 Enhancement bonus with Excellent quality. that baby will never backfire.

I mean I need this. I need this now.

Picked it up for runs with wolves. I will never again go back to the bow, it's just not as fun.

Republic of Texas

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 10:30:27 PM »
As a gun owner, it is not the gun, musket or flintlock that is the problem, but the quallity of the powder that is used.
If a gun, flintlock or musket were to malfuntion as often as these are scripted to, there would be a serious fracture of the barrel and or firing chamber.
It would misfire, but it would also take your face and hands with it.

The musket was made popular because of 2 reasons, better casting of the metal in it, and better refining of the powder it used. What that translates to is simple, it became reliable, dependable and could be learned in little time to great effectiveness. That doesn't meen there wasn't problems with it, but it also doesn't translate into a 1 in 5 chance of it actually working.

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
As a gun owner, it is not the gun, musket or flintlock that is the problem, but the quallity of the powder that is used.
If a gun, flintlock or musket were to malfuntion as often as these are scripted to, there would be a serious fracture of the barrel and or firing chamber.
It would misfire, but it would also take your face and hands with it.

The musket was made popular because of 2 reasons, better casting of the metal in it, and better refining of the powder it used. What that translates to is simple, it became reliable, dependable and could be learned in little time to great effectiveness. That doesn't meen there wasn't problems with it, but it also doesn't translate into a 1 in 5 chance of it actually working.

Yes, but on the server it relies on the gun quality :V

not to mention it would be horribly rude on ones wallet to sell "Cheap Powder" "Average Powder" "Refined Powder"