You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Heterochromia  (Read 56508 times)

Mailbox0000

Re: Heterochromia
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 03:13:13 PM »
I've left Barovia behind.
It was beginning to feel like a prison of sorts.

Passing through the mists a wolf crossed my path.
It was alone... and old, and huge.
It looked down on me and growled, baring its teeth.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

...I turned to stone.
It bristled and lowered its head to pounce when my senses found me,
and my blades found my hands.

I had never seen such a specimen as this.

Words left my lips,
"I have teeth too, loup."

The wolf's head raised and its entire posture changed.
I felt a weight off my shoulders.
It's oppressive aura was gone.

It stared at me a long while, placid,
and then it left.

~Dupont
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxuTjbUEziA[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 03:40:04 PM by Mailbox0001 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 01:04:29 PM »

~   ~~~   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   ~~~   ~
I have heard tales of the infamous Castle Ravenloft,
though seeing it is another thing entirely.

All the stories and accounts I've heard share one thing in common, however,
none wish to return to those halls.

Fortress of Regrets would be a more fitting name.

~Dupont
~~   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   ~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUk-JBd4jI[/youtube]

Mailbox0000

« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2013, 12:55:24 AM »

~L'isle
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McV7pjwVFbE[/youtube]

Mailbox0000

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 11:16:02 PM »
Inception

Before I came to these lands I walked far different ones.
I had a friend from the forests of Yadyada who loved to tell stories.

One night around a fire he told me this one:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Once upon a time there was a scorpion at the bank of a river. He looked far as he could but found no manner of crossing-"

I interrupted, "Heard this one before."

"Are you certain?"

"Pretty. Scorpion and the Frog, yeah."

He stared. "If you interrupt me again, I will kill your entire family. I will begin with the pets, so you must teach your children of death. Then-"

I motioned him on, "Finish yer damn story!"

He continued, "The scorpion, however, saw a frog wading in the river. Tranquil and oblivious. He called out to the frog from the bank,
"Lo' my good fellow, Frog! I see you so at one with these waters, yet I lack any such confidence. Could you perhaps aid one in need?"

"The frog responded after a moment's deliberation.
"Wha'do'ya need, huh?"
"I need to cross this river! I was hoping you could ferry me across upon your back."
"I dunno... I heard yer a bad way."
"Oh, preposterous. I wouldn't harm you. How then would I get across? I give you my assurance I bear no ill will upon you, my amphibian friend."

"At this, the frog deliberated some more before nodding and wading toward the scorpion"
"Alright, then. Yer speaking sense ta me. Hop on"
"And the scorpion did, and as they were crossing the river, suddenly, the frog felt a stabbing pain in his back. He turned to see the scorpion's barb retracting as he grew numb and began to drown."
"Wh-why? Ya prick! We're -both- gonna die!"
"The scorpion leaned toward the frog's ear."
"I can swim."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was not the version I knew.

I laughed and learned a lesson:
Never judge a book by its cover...
or something.

~L'isle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tlq1DSWOsoE[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 11:28:30 AM by Mailbox0001 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 10:10:10 PM »
Babel

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enough little things can go a long way,
with enough put together like the links of a chain.
A chain of events with a single intent.
Without being sundered we can accomplish wonders.

~L'isle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT-HBl2TVtI[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 12:28:01 AM by Mailbox0001 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've lived my entire life in a city amongst humans.
In many regards, I consider myself one.
I've always felt there was something missing, though.
Something awry.

Everywhere I look someone is rushing to do this or that... or die.
A lot of people just give up.
They dream, but never wake up,
smothered by wishes and goals and worries.
Before I was taken by the mists, I remember simpler times.
I was a pawn, certainly, though even under those circumstances
I was free. Nothing held me back.

When the mists took me,
all I concerned myself with was proving myself.
To my father,
to myself, but...

What's there to prove?

That I'm me?

Bonjour.

~Dupont
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJ3WRH3VAY[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:22:44 PM by Mailbox0001 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2013, 07:28:46 PM »
The Solpotent

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No man is my maker
no treasure is greater
than the sun and the breeze
clean water and the trees

-Verse from the Book of Sol

~L'isle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yApB48sGfAo[/youtube]
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 10:04:18 PM by Mailbox0001 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2013, 01:53:54 AM »
Story Time
Prologue

The preacher was late.
He always came this time of day, reliable as the Lamordian time-piece Argali now referenced.
She clicked it shut with disatisfaction, wondering to his whereabouts.
A breeze played over the field she resided, rustling the grass and leaves.
She was alone as usual, though it never deterred the Preacher before.
He had taken an interest in the outlandish elf and her peculiar behavior, and had appropriated her as a disciple of sorts,
instructing her in the way of the Lord and Deity he wouldn't name.
They would meet every week, and he would speak, and she would listen.
Slowly but surely she had shown progress, meeted by the less and less frequent lapse of judgement or sanity, depending on who you asked.
Argali was a troubled soul, and nothing prior to the preacher's efforts had shown any result.
Each week she would leave him full of peace, and the next she would return lacking and hungry for more.
The preacher had never been late before.
Argali waited, impatient, anxious.

Some hours later an old man showed himself on the field, ambling his way over to the tree Argali postured under.
Argali gave the man a three fingered salute. "Father."
The old man returned it. "Forgive my old bones, I'm not as young as I used to be."
"I think you were born old, father."

He shook his head briefly. "Oh, no, no. Believe it or not I was once as young and insufferable as you, my dear."
He nodded sagely and Argali smirked.
"You are alone." He remarked.
"You never fail to notice."
He stroked the gray stubble at his chin, quirking a bushy brow. "I'm beginning to wonder if you have friends at all."
Argali smiled in her reserved fashion.
"As you revealed last week, my pride and arrogance seldom allows equals, let alone superiors."
He nodded once. "Such a lonely world. What have you done with this revelation?"
"Acknowledged it. Repented. Though still I find myself guarded more often than not."
"Why are you afraid, my dear?"
"I'm not afraid."
She almost snapped.
"You can lie to yourself, but not to me."
Argali chuckled. "Now who is arrogant?"
The old man sighed. "You are so clever, Argali. Such a gift you have, yet you have turned it into a curse."
The elf paused. "Explain."
"Through your iniquity you have built a fortress within your mind full of dark rooms and labyrinth halls.
Though you have conquered many demons, there is yet still one hiding within this fortress."

Argali had grown quiet now and simply listened as he continued.
"This is why you crave my ministry. I speak judgement to this monster and it hides away behind its walls.
When it is weak, you know peace and joy for its absence. As time passes, it comes out of hiding, whispering blasphemies and confounding your thoughts.
When you look for the source of these thoughts, it hides in the vastness of the fortress you have built for it but,
Argali, you are the architect of your mind. You can make a door to nowhere lead to anywhere.
You have the power.
You must find where this monster hides, and cast it back into the pits of hell.
I cannot help you with this, and I must leave you now."
The old man straightened up with his staff and turned, taking leave at his elderly pace.
Argali protested. "But you've only arrived!"
The old man continued on his way. "You rely on me too heavily and my back is tired, my dear. I will not be here forever, or much longer for that matter."
He stopped and turned to Argali with a daft old smile."I have taught you much and have faith you will know what to do."
Argali stared at him incredulously. "You've only just arrived, late, at that, and you're leaving."
"I may be old, but I am not deaf." The old man squinted at the elf and stroked his stubbled chin. "Though I am beginning to wonder about you.
I had thought those ears were for more than show."

Argali was not amused.
The old man was as he continued on his way.
As he drew distance he spoke again. "You know what to do!"
Argali was petulant. "What do I know?"
"More than you think." He replied, and then there was silence but for the wind.
Argali slumped against the tree and puzzled at those words. "More than you think." She murmured, and closed her eyes to find reverie.. .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:22:50 PM by Mailbox0000 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2013, 11:04:08 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Story Time
Chapter 1:   "Childhood"

Argali cried out as she was struck.
First by her father, then by the floor as it came rushing up to meet her.
China shattered all around.
The young elf clutched her face and writhed in agony as her father produced an embroidered handkerchief and dabbed the blood from his hand.
Wisps of eldritch energy coiled and dissipated as he stood haughtily over his fallen daughter.
Though she gasped and hissed in pain, she did not cry. She learned long ago not to cry.
"You are utterly inept, child. I am left to marvel at the exact involvement of my genetics in your composition."
Argali stammered through her torn and bloodied lip. "I.. I am sorry, father. I tried."
"You tried? Did you see how I tried to strike you? What was the result?"

Argali took a moment to compose herself, the word stung. "Success."
"I would say that I am disappointed, but I have come to expect such failure from you. If you were not my seed you would not rise again.
Do you see my dilemma? How I must suffer you?"

"Y-yes, father."
He crouched near Argali and held her chin up through his handkerchief, turning her head to study her scars and his most recent addition.
"The day I am proud to call you daughter I will remove these scars. Until then, let them serve to remind you.
I pray by the nine you will learn your lesson."
He released her face and rose.
"Now clean this mess up, and remember, I like my coffee black."
He strode from the room leaving Argali behind.
She would not forget.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:59:07 PM by Mailbox0001 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 11:09:01 PM »
Story Time
Chapter 2: "Shadow Academy"

"My, how you dance, Argali!"
Argali panted, each breath heaving her shoulders. Blood ran down her arm and trickled from her fingertips to mingle with the steadily growing pool of blood from her facedown opponent. Her instructor smiled. "Your father would be proud." Argali looked instinctively to the back aisle of the theater as if her father might have arrived late for her assessment, but he never did. Her instructor strode across the stage with a singular applause. "Bravo, Argali, bravo!" He casually side-stepped Argali's fallen opponent and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Your first victory! Is it not sweet?" He breathed deep of the air, forming his fingers at it's perceived exquisiteness. Then smiled again to the budding elf and gave her shoulder a squeeze. "How once you were so timid and your steps so afoul, you have grown a grace befitting your lineage."

Argali swallowed, still recovering from her ordeal. "Merci, instructeur.." Her eyes never left her fallen opponent. Argali had only gotten the upper hand in their bout because she was knocked into a brazier, spilling it over. Her human opponent did not adjust to the suddenly dim lighting as well as the elf. She frowned and winced at the pain in her arm. "What is wrong, Argali?" She looked up to her instructor. "It was not a fair fight. I would have lost had I not knocked over the light." The instructor chuckled and squeezed her shoulder. "You are like a mouse but in you I see a lion, Argali. There is more to combat than what is in your hands. The greatest strike is the one that defeats your opponent. In this case it was to the brazier, inadvertently as it was, let it be a lesson to you. Remember, there is no fight worth fighting that is worth fighting fair." Argali lowered her head and nodded. "Oui, instructeur."

The instructor lowered his hand to her back to lead her away. "Go see to your wounds, little lion. I will see to your kill's." Argali gave a small bow and a final glance to the dead girl and the empty aisle, then exited stage left.

She had mixed emotions over her win. She knew what it felt like to die. She had been killed in three of her previous four assessments. The time she lived she wished she hadn't. It was a day later in the academy when she was summoned by her instructor. Argali gave it little thought as she walked the halls, her mind on the previous day's events. When she arrived at the office the door was open and her instructor was speaking quietly with her father. She froze.

The instructor bade her in. "Come in, come in! Your father has come to see you!" She did as bid, as if in a trance. Her father stared at her coldly, and then he did something she had never seen before. He smiled. "I've heard the result of your latest assessment, child. I am pleased." He moved toward her and raised a hand to touch her face. Instinctively she flinched, giving him pause, though he touched her cheek all the same and spoke. "I do not attend your assessments as I only care for the results. I pray by the nine you continue to make me proud." The instructor hid his smirk. Her father smiled. Argali was speechless.

For the remainder of her years in Shadow Academy she never lost again.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBecM3CQVD8[/youtube]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 06:24:50 AM by Mailbox0001 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2013, 04:34:03 AM »
~Perspective

She awoke from her reverie without a motion save for a twitch of her ears and the opening of her eyes. Her only fanfare was a roll of her neck. It sounded a lot like cracking knuckles.
Rising with a billow of her cloak she stood at the window to see the source of the noise which roused her. It was dark outside, though a moot point to her elven eyes.

It was time to go.

She stood on the roof outside. It was a brisk if otherwise quiet evening. Below she could hear them searching her room. She even heard one at the windowsill looking to her whereabouts.
She was confident they wouldn't look up. Most don't, and even if they did, she didn't much care. She was spoiling for a fight about now. Too long had she run. Too long had she hid.
There just wasn't much of that left. One way or another the fear had given way. First to anger. Now to something far more potent: Peace.

They would come, she would evade, but sooner or later you run out of alleys, sewers and roofs. Sooner or later the torches find you, and if you're not prepared, if you've spent too long in the shadows,
you're liable to be blinded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZQk3ig-i_s[/youtube]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:38:44 PM by SwordSaintX »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2013, 03:06:43 PM »
~Confidentials: I

Frothy: A Drunk of Werta, as she puts it. Amiable and instantly likeable. How can you not like a pint sized maid of.. pints? 'Walk quietly and carry a big mug' she said. Words to live by if ever there were.
Class: She appears to wield the magics of an outland power, if at an apprentice level.
Verdict: [C] If only for her numerous endeared associates.

Blardoh (aka: Crazykill): A drunk and animal abuser. Came off as decent enough, apart from the rampant animal extinction he practiced. Frothy called him Crazykill, though never to his face after he warned he doesn't discriminate over species. He tried to show his gentler side by 'befriending' a stag. It is my suspicion that fear, rather than love, was the motivating factor in that short-lived relation. Losing him behind us to a bend in the road, the stag was never seen again.
Class: He wielded two weapons at once and prefered to flank. Given this and his ability to cow animals to his whim and fancy I'd label him a ranger of sorts. Of sorts.
Verdict: [C] His combat capability was definitively passable.

Jethro: Not a man of many words. I perhaps gleaned through a peephole of his character. He came across as a resolute ally.
Class: A man of few words, and many arrows. Insufficient data.
Verdict: [D] When ambushed by ogres in the pass, he performed poorly, though fully in defense of his one bespoke ally in our travelling party, Frothy.

Skinny (aka: Fredek, aka: Underboss, aka: That Green Bastard): A calculating creature. I imagine he sees people as weapons and tools of various make and composition. I wonder what he sees in me?
If Neesy is any indicator, he has a soft-spot for the criminal and insane.
Class: He wields magic, axes, and minions. Big ones. All of them.
Verdict: [A] Given his ties to criminal elements and arcane, martial, and political prowess I have no illusion to the threat he poses should he ever decide to, mh... posture. I have laid hands on him once, and it is purely by his green graces I live to lay them on others. Such is someone's influence when they can end a coup with an utterance, and inspire lessons without ever explaining themselves. It is my opinion the Skinny is stooped under the weight of appearing less assuming. The mistake of crossing him is a burden most don't survive.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 08:39:05 PM by SwordSaintX »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #37 on: December 15, 2013, 01:23:08 PM »
~Journal

I've done many wrongs in my life. I've taken the life of men, woman, children... people who didn't want to die.
People who had done nothing wrong.
Their blood is on my hands. It stains like nothing else.
I see them in my dreams. Persecuting apparitions. They condemn me, and shackle chains to my hands and feet and neck.
I have been their prisoner for the longest time,
but no longer.

I have experienced and learned much.
I have forgiven myself.
The banshees wail but I do not listen.
I will not allow what I have done to affect what I will do.
What I AM.

It is said:
"To err is human;
to forgive, divine."

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NEbac6we70[/youtube]

Nothing will hinder me for long.
I am unlimited.

~Dupont

Mailbox0000

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2013, 10:50:23 PM »
~Journal

Elketh...

What a rude introduction I had to his domain. I was scarcely prepared.
I've never much liked wizards, and now, even less the undead variety.
His tower was like an extension of himself, and reality was a tenuous concept at best within its walls.
It was surreal, as if we were strolling through a broken mind; a nightmare that never ends.
Like most wizards, his knowledge and power made him arrogant. He believed himself above the ruck, superior,
and in his hubris learned there is always something greater.

Finally, at the nightmare's end, was the lich himself.
My companions spared no breath, they never postured or gloated.
They destroyed him with extreme prejudice.
They said he would return, he will always return, and never rest; undead.
But for one who thought so highly of himself, there simply wasn't much to marvel at.
He should have walked quietly and carried a big mug.
Instead he has become some parable, and I am left to wonder at the folly of Pride.

~Dupont
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9zSMKep1o0[/youtube]

Mailbox0000

« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2013, 12:54:50 AM »
~Journal
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbePGJvd8jU[/youtube]
~~~~~~            ~~~      ~~    ~    ~~      ~~~            ~~~~~~
I'm nearly a century old. Venerable by human standards, though really only a child to the teu-tel-quessir, my people.
My people... I know so very little of them.
I never learned of the Seldarine, of our creator and nature.
I was brought up in a house of Asmodeus, taught what to think, not how to think.
Out here on my own I've met many people. I even have the pleasure to call some friend.
I've met teachers, preachers, philosophers and rebels.
I've met criminals, vagabonds, mutants, and nobles.
If there is one thing I have learned, it's that life is like a song, meant to be danced to while the music is playing.
Some dance, some wait, and some hate it, but in the end all that really matters is the dance.

I'm nearly a century old  and am only learning this. Just goes to show...
you're never too old to know better.
~~~~~~            ~~~      ~~    ~    ~~      ~~~            ~~~~~~

~Dupont

Mailbox0000

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2013, 02:00:08 AM »
~Perspective

Mailbox0000

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2014, 10:23:02 PM »
Story Time
Chapter 3: "The Revenant" Part I

Argali reached a hand toward the fading glimmers of light as she sank into the depths. Blood stained the waters and trailed from her movements in swirling wisps as darkness closed in. It had gone wrong, it had all gone wrong. She could still see the face of her partner smiling as she discovered the blade in her gut. She could remember words before she was kicked into the icy abyss. "Know the only thing worse than failure, Gally..? Succeeding at something that doesn't matter."

Argali found herself wondering at those words as she weakly grasped the last glimmers of light. Was he referring to Shadow Academy, where they had met and become friends? That must have been it. Argali never lost an assessment fight, a point of some pride to her, though at the moment it seemed pointless. She let her guard down where it mattered and allowed him to get close, just so he could betray her when the cards were on the table, so to speak. The heist was a big one. Her father would be furious.

The last light died then, and it became very cold. Argali's heart beat slower and slower... until it didn't beat at all.

And in that timeless darkness, she was alone.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_V3j4leyLjs[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:31:33 PM by Mailbox0000 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2014, 05:49:56 PM »
Story Time
Chapter 3: "The Revenant" Part II
 Argali sank deeper and deeper into the cold abyss, dreaming of the life she once had and all the people she would never see again.
Friends, enemies, family. She had been warned of her folly, though hardly listened.
Everyone she loved abandoned her to her fate. How else could she have ended up here?
Her dreams twisted at the thought.
An anger sparked in her, quickly flaring and swelling in her chest. Her heart beat. Then again...
NO! Her eyes shot open.
It could not end like this! She was betrayed by sycophants and liars.
Her fingers twitched as the poisonous thoughts scoured her mind. She would show them. She would show them all.
R̴̥͙̰̝̳̭̼̭̣̯̰͔̥̼͕̙͕͞͞E͕̘͍̳̫͉̮̹̺̬̫͜V̸͟͠҉͚̫̮̗͢ͅE҉͏͍̩̝̭̫̯̱̺͚̺̬̩̼̣͉̝̕͟N̳̠̪̤̖̰̩͙̙̲̩̣̩̹̗͘̕G̶҉҉͍̗͔͍̘͓̖̭̲͖̪͔̩̗͕E̖͇͍̟͘͜

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When she came from that darkness she was changed.
Crawling ashore, she rose like some zombie and wandered off into the night.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-elLcYabJIo[/youtube]
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 05:34:00 PM by Mailbox0000 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
Story Time
Chapter 4: "Body Count"

From the smoke there was a brief clash of steel followed by a gargle and thud as a body hit the floor.
Argali strode from the dissipating smoke like an apparition, blood leaking ever slower from her sword, leading a trail from a corpses silhouette.
The oracle spoke. "Who- who comes with such prejudice to my sanctum?"  
His eyes widened with recognition as Argali came to a halt a few paces from his chair. She stared, her face streaked with blood.
"Argali? I had heard you were dead.. what are you doing?" His visage spoke solely of confusion.
The elf's mouth twitched. "You ask a lot of questions.. for an oracle."
His nostrils flared as he sat up and motioned to his dead companion. "Explain yourself!"
Argali sneered as she continued her approach, sword creaking in hand.
The oracle slumped back in his chair, watching her. "I see you are blind in your conviction- "
She raised her sword to his face.

"What do you see now?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1zBG2TEjn4[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 05:27:56 PM by Mailbox0000 »

Mailbox0000

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2014, 12:29:36 AM »

"Do dead men dream?"

"Yes, but that is all. It's time to go."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Okay."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe4EK4HSPkI[/youtube]

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
  • "Maudlyn" Argali Dupont, Lazula Zhuelke, and more
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2015, 04:10:41 PM »
As her savings dwindled, her dissatisfaction grew.
Argali sat at a table puzzling over a tarot spread. At first the cards were a great mystery to her, a puzzle to which she thought to unravel the secrets of existence.
Over time, however, they began to torment her. The harder she sought to find, the easier she became lost in a world of symbols and portents.

The latest spread agitated her the most. Death stared her in the face.
It occurred over and over and there was no escape. It had come to where she hardly left her room at all. She saw shadows in every corner.
She was afraid and woefully alone, having secluded herself and alienated anyone who might have called her friend.
The seasons passed thus.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One stormy evening, a crow cawed at her windowsill inexplicably.
She thought of former companions then. The crow cawed incessantly, accusingly. A fear she couldn't quite place blossomed in her chest and she longed for silence.
A bolt of lightning split the heavens, the thunderous boom rattled the window and gave her a start.
The crow remained, cawing, mocking. Anger took the place of her fear now.
She moved with purpose toward the rattling window when it burst open.
Her room was pandemonium.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The crow flew madly about her room in the tempest. Her sheets and loose belongings becoming scattered in the chaos as she wildly fought to close the window.
In the aftermath she looked for the crow, finding no trace in her room. She wondered at the window.
Turning, she stopped over her scattered tarot, lifting the single face-up card.

~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~

She laughed, checking out of the tavern that evening.
The rain was cleansing.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 06:08:22 PM by Mailbox »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2015, 05:11:46 PM »

A noise stirred Argali from reverie. Uneasiness gripped her as fluttering eyes failed to pierce the dark around her.
The noise, again, scuttling and sickening. She couldn't place it to either side of her.
With bated breath she finally breathed, "..Who's there?"

A thousand thousand voices reverberated from the dark, "I̠̭ ̧̥̤̳̯̦͈a̖̥̰͟m̥͉̬̘̜ ͎I̛̗!͇"
Argali shuddered, eyes darting frantically in the void. She began slowly to stand, unable to see a thing.
Sheer malice boomed from the dark, "Kn̻̻e̻̜̳͚̪͉ͅe̮͇̩l͖̹̦̖̪̲,͔͈͈̰̝̭̘ ͇̫̻̖̩͖͇w͍͕̬h͓͉̲̪̹̙o̱r͍̗̥e͉̗ͅ!̟̭̣̰̖͈ ̥̘͚̲͚͎D̼͔̱̬o̬͕̞͓̹͍s̫ͅt͎̫̝̬ ̠t̞̤h̭̹̮o̠̪̼͔͙͔̝ṵ̬͔̳ ̯͚̹̝̻͔d̮̼̬a̙̠r̠̹̙e̻̺̠̼͉̜̲ ̻̹t͇̥̻̗̜̘o̥̤ ͕͕̩s̱͚̭̻̰̯̩t̠͕̬̫a̘͍̮n̬̣͍̰͇ͅd̪̪̺̦͉̣ ̻̱̝a̟̺̠̩ͅs͓̫͇̟ ̱̻̖̫ͅe͎̻̻̹q̪̦u̳ͅa̯̤̲̱̼͎ls͖̥̤?̱̲̲"
Paralysis gripped her momentarily, quickly followed by grim resolution. She stood tall, a hand moving over her blade. The entity laughed loudly.

"T̺h͔͚̹̦i͚nk̮͍͎̞̱̩e̼̣̰ͅs͙͉̼͔͇̗t͓̦̲ͅ ̠̝̪͍t͎͍̯̠͕͍ho͈̼̞u̫̪͍̘,̥̺̹ ̟̦̯͕̼̞̰O̰̰ ͓̥̣̰f͔̤o̜ͅol͍̘,̼̠̩̙͉̜ ͖t͕̜̲̦̪̝ͅo̺ ͓̞d̥͕͓̫e̟͓̘f̪͍̙̜̟y ̘̟̹̫̻̹m͈̠̥y͇̭̖͚ͅ ͖̗͇̻̬ͅw̮̬̫̗͔͕ͅi̪̰̲l̻̬͔̙l?̯ ͍̤̗̥͈͚͓W̯͈̤hat̩͔ ̹͓͍̙̠̮̺po͇w̖̣̜e̹r͈̦̝̼̫ ̻̻̙̭̤͖h͈̞̬͍͚ast ̹͉͈̖͎̪t̺͍̬͖h͎̞̯͖͙̻o͉̗͔̹̳u̩ ̖̙͍o̟̮͉̟̦͈v͙͕̼̮͈͉̳e̖̪̩ͅr̯͖͈̳̟͍ ͍̻I͇̳̭?"
Argali stood hunched, ready to pounce at the slightest indication. "I don't care who you think you are.. I know who I am, and who I am not."
The darkness laughed wildly. "Sp̣͓̥̪ḙ̗̰͍͔͙̘ak͇̟̺̝͖̺e̮̹t̙͉͍̟̯h̞͚̮̹̥̙̮ ̬͍͕ṯ̪͍h̗̣̯͇͕ḙ̱n̦͚̠̲̻̦,̟̮ O ̩̠͔s̱a̻͍̫͉g̲̺̦̰͙̗̮a̞̯̞̱͖̬̟c̲̠̞i̺̻͔̫o͖u̺s̼̙̺ ͕̖̼̬͇̼o͕͚n̞e͉̱̼̝,͔ͅ ̗̰w͓̜̭̣͖h͉̞̳͖͖o͉͙̭̺̜ ͎͇̬̪̫̝a̱r͕t͇̝̫ t̫̦̝̞̥h͕̤̭̮o̳̤u̮͖͖̻ ̮a̜͚̗͙n͙͇̫̞d̗̺̳ ͙̙̩̠̦̦ͅa̙̼͈̦̥̟̺r̲͉͇̪͚͈t̘̺͚̟̝̪̲ t̰̣̖ho͎͔̳u̖̳̼͎͙̞ͅ ̣̳̲n̖̱o̖͖̰̖̤͙ͅt͚̣̳̞͍̣?̣̼̦̭͉͕̼"
After a moment of silence Argali spoke, "I am more than a name, and I am not afraid."
A hissing began to emanate from all around her, as if the darkness were composed of a thousand serpents "W̭e̘̖̟̗͓̱ ̩s̝͖̼͕̫̫̣h̦͙̝͓͔̞a̟͓̥l̫l̖̭ ͓͍̟ͅs͉̠̩͔͚̖ee̳̥!̠͍̱̻"

Argali drew her sword and the darkness screamed as the blade roared into life, wreathing in flames, and there was light.

Before her was a writhing mass of hideous, ever changing, faces. They assumed the form of countless people she knew and had known and spoke as one.
"WE ARE LEGION-"
The pulsating mass burst into flames as Argali's sword pierced its core.
The screaming dark roared every profanity known to man and some yet to be discovered, shuddered and then dispersed into the void.
"You are nothing."

As the entity disappeared, so to did the flames dim and die from her sword. She wondered at it in the dying light, and then it was dark again.
In the distance a dim light shone. Argali followed it.

Argali awoke from reverie beneath the tree the preacher had left her. She flicked open her time-piece and stood, dusting herself in the process.
A smile touched her scarred visage as she started from the shadows of the tree.
The breeze was cool, and the sun was especially rare.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Kuizb7vzU[/youtube]
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 05:25:04 PM by Mailbox »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2015, 12:47:24 AM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Gali? What ya wanna be when ya grew up?"

"Me, of course!"

"Ya mean a loser- pehehehe! Ow! Hey! OW!! I was jus' jookin'!"
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 12:52:09 AM by Mailbox »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #48 on: March 23, 2015, 07:44:33 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Argali sat posted with a leg dangling over the cliff edge, one knee propped supporting her elbow, smouldering pipe in hand. The embers were so like her mind at that moment, burning with quiet, crackling potential.
The past days had been fruitful, she had set out and accomplished a great deal. She had even had fun doing it. The only concern of her mind at that moment was the recent din of Vrolok activity. The creatures were frightening to say the least, though a reality none-the-less. You adapt or die, and death was a tedious affair in this realm.

She puffed from her pipe. The wizard's weed helped mellow her to a level of rational she seemed incapable of since first arriving in Vallaki. Above shone the moon, and below, at a distance, Vallaki glowed like a sore on the land, tendrils of smoke wisping into the aether. The elf smiled, making off like a thief in the night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QM9M7dL1_uM[/youtube]

« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:59:55 PM by Mailbox »

Mailbox-2100

• Heir of the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2015, 08:44:12 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Perhaps she was lonely. Panting, she wiped sweat from her brow, one eye stinging for the effort. Rubbing at it she took a seat on a surprisingly comfortable log, minding the slight and play of local wildlife. A pair of squirrel scarpered from a tree, the quicker stealing away with a nut. A frog hopped along gayly with a ribbit, oblivious to the beady death stare from the eyes of a snake not far removed. A crow landed with a rustle of wing upon the bough of a tree nearby.

Argali managed most of the sting from her eye amidst the cacophony of forest life. Her breath leveled quickly. She was getting stronger. Invariably, thoughts turned to her former paramour. Thoughts she failed to bury with activity. Thoughts with a life their own, of the most resilient kind. Perhaps I should find her, she thought. She loved me. She understood me. The elf shook her head. Perhaps she was just lonely. The forests teemed with an energy she couldn't describe. Something primordial and wise. Something she lacked growing up in the city, yet always had somehow. It was simply in her. It was her. The snake made its move all at once, a whisper closing in on the frog. Soon it would know the final secrets. Argali watched.

As the snake struck, the crow suddenly cawed and would simply not stop, as if to say, you let it happen! Argali stared a while before rising to leave.

Nature will run its course, she thought, as she moved along like a river. Or time.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 08:59:15 PM by Mailbox »