Author Topic: Suggestion - Light Property  (Read 1841 times)

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
Suggestion - Light Property
« on: July 05, 2013, 11:22:59 PM »
I would like to suggest that it be possible for a player to remove a Light property from an item.  It has come to the point where a lot of common items give off light, and this is somewhat annoying in a number of ways. 

One - it's an automatic -10 hide in dark areas or at night.  I mean, it's fairly simple to just unequip said items, but they are getting VERY common and it''s just a pain to find alternate gear/weapons just because all the ones not specifically tagged as stealth items give off light.

Two - It ruins darkvision.  It ruins ultravision.  It ruins everything that is supposed to make you see in the dark because it modifies your visual range to this obnoxious 5m circle of blue, green, purple, or what have you.

Three - Because of the fact that it's on spell slot items in particular that are very easy to get, every Wizard now glows blue and every Sorcerer now glows green.  It's VERY uncommon to see one without the obvious glow of "Hey, I'm wearing that famous magical item that gives off a glow for you to tell what class I am."  Also, since there is usually a spellcaster or two in every party, every dungeon run is now lights and sparkle.

I don't see why it should not be possible to like....wrap the glowing stone on the necklace in cloth or something to hide the glaring light.  It's not as simple as just taking it off, because then you lose the spells that are given by the item.  I understand that in the grand scheme of things, this is a pretty small issue, but if anyone is interested in looking into a way to just strip that property from an item, that would be sweet.  One of the reasons so many areas are so dark is because it's supposed to help add to the aesthetics of certain encounters.  When every single character is glowing magical happiness, it's really distracting.  The only real side effect I can see is that it would slightly lower the value of an item, but I don't think that can be exploited as it would just mean they sell for less at a store. 

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
Re: Suggestion - Light Property
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 12:02:51 AM »
Items either have light or they don't. The only way to do what you suggest would be through scripting to apply/remove/re-apply light as a dynamic item property, but it's so minor it seems like a waste of time.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

High_Priestess_of_Tinsel

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 01:55:28 AM »
Maybe the light property can just not be applied to future items, but a way to permanently apply a light effect to an item and adjust the colour could be included. For example casting continual flame on an item and using a coloured gem as a reagent to affect the shade of the glow. I've seen this done on servers before and it's pretty neat.
This might already be implemented here and I've just not come across it though.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 03:12:58 AM »
I don't see any reason to ban it from future items.

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 12:37:13 AM »
Could it be possible to remove the light property from items and introduce light-gems as a loot drop that allow you to add light as a permanent property to said item?

This way people could chose what has a light enchantment and what doesn't. or atleast restrict light pair with certain effects, like damage enhancements of an elemental type.... just like how Winterlass glows blue, or damage resistances, perhapse.

But I think that unless there is an alternate for items with light [read: same stats] I think it should become more carefully placed/an optional property.

When I first started out on NWN online, I saw a system of light gems used.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

The Woodsman

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 12:54:19 AM »
There's precedent in fantasy for items to emit light but I sort of feel like in a lot of ways the light property trumps using actual light sources like torches, lanterns and candles. I'm not saying 'Remove all of the  items with light' but...perhaps make them dim or something, make it so light sources retain at least some actual use.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »
There's precedent in fantasy for items to emit light but I sort of feel like in a lot of ways the light property trumps using actual light sources like torches, lanterns and candles. I'm not saying 'Remove all of the  items with light' but...perhaps make them dim or something, make it so light sources retain at least some actual use.

We actually removed a lot of light rings and the like years ago to promote lanterns and the fear of the dark. I have been noticing an increase in light emitting items of late though, but they are probably mostly from the submissions in the item request thread. Sometimes the light property makes sense for an item, and sometimes it just seems tacked on for no reason.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
virtually every item that emits light in either the loot tables or stores is reduced to the first two settings (dim and low), with the exception of the large lantern, which uses the third setting.

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 12:52:46 AM »
most are dim, yeah, but I still think it seems that they are too common.

Best example I can give... the first time I saw Winterlass, looked great. My PC went from no light, drawing it to a soft blue. For something like this, it works well. But for such common items, isis rings, wizard amulets. There should be more consideration I think, like.. schollar's ring's, they are a clasic light item, that works fine. others make less sence.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle