Author Topic: Harakir Vistani Dying  (Read 3206 times)

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
Harakir Vistani Dying
« on: June 29, 2013, 02:08:45 PM »
The Vistani caravan outside of Muhar, in Harakir, is the only link to the rest of the server.  And it's vulnerable.  Very vulnerable.  A single dust devil or asp can lay waste to the whole group of Vistani, leaving players stranded. 

Can we please get some more defenses there, or perhaps a captain who knows discretion is the better part of valor and runs away? 

Gilad Abrams

• Undead Master
Re: Harakir Vistani Dying
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 02:15:13 PM »
+1 to this.

That captain is one snakebite away from stranding you in the desert till a reset at all times. Would be good if either he had beefed up security or perhaps he hulks up a bit to face the dangers of everyday life.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 02:22:59 PM »
What if I told you... All Vistani captains are like this?

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

DM Cataclysm

• Head DMs
  • Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 03:07:39 PM »
Definitely a good idea to look into this. I think Har'Akir is particularly problematic, because there is such a difference in power between the Vistani and the Monsters in the area. Also the landing point in Har'Akir is surrounded by four other maps and in three out of four of those, enemies are just 1 transition away - so it ups the likelihood of someone being stalked into the area and the Vistani being wiped out. In their current state - I don't think the Vistani are capable of defending themselves against any of the creatures there.

Gilad Abrams

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 03:42:03 PM »
What if I told you... All Vistani captains are like this?

I'd say that the others are better protected and in areas where this sort of thing is much less likely to occur

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
Why are the captains not just flagged with invincibility?

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Why are the captains not just flagged with invincibility?

Nothing should be invincible. But there could be more guard around him?

Troukk

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 05:16:54 PM »
The vistani used to be hostile to a villain I played a while back. When they attacked me, I killed them. It would have been very unfair if they were invincible.

Vistanis are not friendly to everyone, so their fighting power should be balanced, just like every other NPC.
Not all who wander are lost.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 07:14:09 PM »
I dunno. I don't think they should be invulnerable. They shouldn't be all that strong. If they are made to be able to kill this things, people will use them as a crutch. If people are foolish enough to lead a monster back to them, I say let them wait the 15-20 minutes for the area to reset and a 'new caravan' to roll in.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Little Lotte

• Dark Power
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 07:48:36 PM »
I was part of a party in Perfidus once where the massive amounts of pit fiends followed us through transition and we fought tirelessly to save the vistani captain from dying only to fail...and then get stuck there until a reset. It was very traumatic.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »
I was part of a party in Perfidus once where the massive amounts of pit fiends followed us through transition and we fought tirelessly to save the vistani captain from dying only to fail...and then get stuck there until a reset. It was very traumatic.

I know that the Perfidus Vistani is its own 'area', so if you went into perfidus (say just through the transition) and waited 15 minutes, the captain would reset. I'd bet most the Vistani are this way, I know I've come back to dead Vistani in Hara'kir and a 15 minute wait in the city had them respawned.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2013, 09:17:28 PM »
Either that, or if a DM is on, simply ask him to re-initialize the area.

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 09:54:59 PM »

I know that the Perfidus Vistani is its own 'area', so if you went into perfidus (say just through the transition) and waited 15 minutes, the captain would reset. I'd bet most the Vistani are this way, I know I've come back to dead Vistani in Hara'kir and a 15 minute wait in the city had them respawned.

If what you are saying is accurate, then I can't explain why our whole party was stuck in Muhar for so long.  It certainly wasn't 15 minutes.  Maybe we went back and checked too often?  I will have to test this further.

And yes, jumping on the DM channel was the first thing I did.  No dice. 

Hatsune

• Undead Master
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 10:48:47 PM »

If what you are saying is accurate, then I can't explain why our whole party was stuck in Muhar for so long.  It certainly wasn't 15 minutes.  Maybe we went back and checked too often?  I will have to test this further.

And yes, jumping on the DM channel was the first thing I did.  No dice. 

It has to be completely vacant for the ~15 minutes . If someone new came, or someone was going to check, then that could likely be the cause. Also, area's can be 'linked' (as most multi-area dungeons are, so 1/2 the dungeon doesn't respawn while your in the other half, or whatever), so that you have to be vacant from all the related areas... so that could be a cause too. But I'm pretty sure I've waited out a dead Vistani in Muhar before.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2013, 12:05:59 PM »
Areas aren't "linked." Each area resets after being vacant for 15 minutes, regardless of whether it is a dungeon or not.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002