Author Topic: Daoine Elaviir'Ess ~ Bringer of the Song of the Stars ~  (Read 1173 times)

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Daoine Elaviir'Ess ~ Bringer of the Song of the Stars ~
« on: June 29, 2013, 08:44:28 AM »
Preface: I'll try a little different format with this biography. There will be a larger amount of OOC information than I usually include. This is simply to help players understand the character and also to offer a more coherent explanation to the character's motives, behaviour and personality. I'll begin with a short, freeform background and lore check for the sources I've used for the Ruar'Tel'Quessir - The People of the Stars, or more commonly, just Star Elves. I also encourage others to leave comments or to discuss any relevant topics.

Sources used:
Player's Guide to Faerûn
Races of Faerûn
Candlekeep's Elven Dictionary, which seems to include words used in the canon novels and source books.
Forgotten Realms wiki, for quick online checking of bits and pieces.

Glossary of common words the character uses:
N'Tel’Quessir - ‘Not of the People’ (Non-Elves)
Tel'Quessir - ‘Of the People’
Or’Tel’Quessir – ‘People of the Wood’
Ruar’Tel’Quessir – ‘People of the Stars’
Teu’Tel'Quessir - ‘People of the Moon’
Ar’Tel'Quessir - ‘People of the Sun'
Sy’Tel'Quessir - ‘People of the Wilds’
Sha'Tel’Quessir - ‘Friend of the People’ (rarely used and a great honour when applied)
A’Tel’Quessir – ‘Almost People’ (Half-Elves) (Though the character prefers N'Tel'Quessir for most half-elves)
Cha’Tel'Quessir - ‘Half-Elves of the Yuirwood’
Evaliir’Tel’Quessir – ‘Song of the People’
Daoine - 'Stars'
Elaviir - 'Song'
Ess - 'Bringer' (suffix)

Short Intro To The Star Elves, as in the beginning of 1372 DR (present day FR in 3rd ed):

To the non-elven population and even those elves, who are poorly aware of their existence, the star elves tend to easily pass as moon elves. This is often preferred by them, as they greatly fear for the safety of their home realm of Sildëyuir, located in the Feywild. More aloof and cautious than most of the other elven races, the star elves prefer to stay in their realm, though in past few decades a hostile force, known as the nilshai, has started to invade this home of the star elven folk. This, though, has worked as only more of a reason to not leave their fortresses, and it is a rare sight indeed to see a star elf who spent extended time outside their citadels.

To Sildëyuir they arrived from Yuirwood (which also has routes to Sildëyuir, though these are very well guarded secrets), their last home on Faerûn. As the history has seen, the star elves are extremely pacifist and tend to flee to a new home instead of waging full-scale, gruesome wars. When forced to battle, they tend to prefer defensive enchanments over directly offensive means. Before the nilshai, they had been in peace for over 2000 years.

The star elves greatly appreciate beauty in its various formats. Compared to other elves, the average star elf is somewhat taller and tends to stand out as exceptionally handsome and exotic, but frailer and more remote in both spirit and body. Despite this, the star elves have a knack for regocnizing inner beauty over outer appearance.

Most star elves have at least a single level in bard. Even amongst other elves they tend to keep somewhat to themselves and avoid personal inquiries; They've a massive distrust towards humans, as it was humans who drove them from Faerûn.

Despite their songs and artwork often appearing joyful at first, there tends to be an underlaying sense of sorrow. It is said that the star elven death requiem would break even the most hardened warlord to tears.

(Biography in the next post.)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 10:07:10 AM by tzaeru »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: Daoine Elaviir'Ess ~ Bringer of the Song of the Stars ~
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:37:26 AM »
Daoine Elaviir'Ess
~ Bringer of the Song of the Stars ~

(Portrait pack here)

Race: Star Elf (May pass as a moon elf to those who are unfamiliar with Ruar'Tel'Quessir)
Class: Bard
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral (with Neutral Good tendencies)

Height: 5"10' (175 cm)
Hair: Silvery, falling in elaborate knots past his shoulders.
Eyes: With well-defined, silvery eyebrows, the eyes underneath are greyish - with a hint of silver - and are covered in golden flecks.
Physique: Slender, with elegant, almost royal features. Appears youthful, particularly much so to non-elven folk. Frail at the first glance.

Languages Spoken: Elven, Common, Sylvan

General appearance: Typically wearing clothes more suited for show than combat, they still hold back from too much decoration. The colors, while plentiful, are toned enough to not make it impossible to fade against the night sky or the forestfloor. His otherwise exotic appearance is somewhat offset by the distance kept in his gaze. His cautious, and slightly sorrowful outlook, tends to give a proud, even arrogant, feel to him, even though this may not match his true personality.

Personality: Typically aloof and cautious, Daoine's spirit is burdened by a perpetual sense of sadness and desperation, both due to the recent events in his home of origin, as well as the foreign world he has entered. Unfortunately, his attempts to cover his true emotions by giving a neutral appearance, combined with his cautiousness, often leads to others perceiving him as arrogant and self-focused.

Daoine is pacifist in spirit. He loathes, even fears, the idea of rising a weapon against a sentient, living creature. He loves beauty in its all forms and despite the distance he keeps in both mind and space, he greatly enjoys to learn more of the folk around him.

While he regards humans as immensively distrustable, by default he holds no ill wish to any of them. Due to their relative ease of giving trust, he views moon elves as naive and in need of guidance of the older elves.

Strengths: Slow to anger, thoughtful, skilled bard, relatively quick witted, caring in the end for those he respects.

Flaws: Strong unwillingness to fight against living humanoid sentiens, habit of accidentally appearing arrogant and proud, poor combat ability, slow to forget wrongs, poor in relations with N'Tel'Quessir (and not all so rarely, with some Tel'Quessir)

The Times Past Until Arrival..

For 360 years, the vast majority of his life, the days in Sildëyuir were filled with song and peace. The existence in that remote part of Feywild was harmonous. But like all things of greatest beauty, this was not meant to last either; In 1352 DR, the Nilshai started to slowly expand to Sildëyuir. Hoping this would not escalate, the folk were initially eager to turn away their eyes. But the corruption of the strange, hostile sorcerers spread; Much of the land became entrapped to the nilshai influence. The trees died, the sky blackened. Ground became entombed in dark moss, which gave a perpetual, strong stench of death.

Like for all the star elven kin, Daoine became growingly desperate, even fearful of what was to happen. Unused to weapons, he yet was forced to carry armaments when taking a rare step outside the fortress that was his new home, having replaced the open skies of the twilight realm. Sent as a part of a caravan to take recently enchanted armaments to a near-by citadel, he and his group were assaulted by the nilshai on their way. Quickly separated from the others, Daoine became engulfed in the Mists, that he thought were nilshai's in origin. Sure this was the home of the nilshai, the Ethereal Plane, the truth that he was far, far away from home, dawned to him as his ears picked the distant echo of the Vistani drums..
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 11:32:41 AM by tzaeru »

tzaeru

• Dark Power
Re: Daoine Elaviir'Ess ~ Bringer of the Song of the Stars ~
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:37:14 PM »
*The entries are written in Sylvan..*

First Entry: Three Days Since Arrival..

I find myself in a strange land, which seems plagued
by a perpetual sense of gloom and madness. Initially,
I thought this to be the Nilshai corner of the Ethereal Plane.

It became quickly apparent, though, that this must be
somewhere else entirely. Perhaps another plane of existence,
than any I have previously heard of. But I have to admit - I
wouldn't have sufficient knowledge to make lasting
conclusions. Even though I've spent more time in studying
defensive arcane arts than I did before the arrival of
Nilshai, I doubt I will ever be able to fathom all the
nuances required to fully compherend concepts
like these.

Regardless, to my sorrow I find that many of Tel'Quessir
are much different from what I thought. I'm unsure if it is
fit anymore to call so many of our appearance Tel'Quessir.
But there are several of the kin I've met and found their
company.. Enjoyable, I might describe it. The People of
The Sun that I've met have been wise and understanding
towards my situation. One of the People of the Woods
has been truly helpful to me, and aided me greatly in more
than just learning.

I have, also, met another of Sildëyuir. She was a
champion of Corellon. Not a common sight even in
Sildëyuir, but my heart lifts in new kind of hope and
calm for meeting one of my own world's,
particularly one of altruistic devotion.

Stories were told of another of Sildëyuir. But I am
afraid I would have to succumb to the temptation of
doubt upon whether he truly is one of us. I greatly
suspect he is but a fraud.. Why one would commit
to such lies, is beyond my comprehension.

For a potential reader, excuse my choice of
language. I felt it required to further ensure that
only the friends of the Feywild could understand
this journal if I fall and it comes to the hands of
less sincere folk...