You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Herbology Suggestion Thread!  (Read 2724 times)

Hatsune

• Undead Master
  • Ninja-loots Extraordinaire!
Herbology Suggestion Thread!
« on: June 24, 2013, 09:51:28 PM »
Had a larger post worked up for some suggestions on new possible plants and potion recipes... but lost most my work on a hard drive malfunction! So here is part of it, but will have more to come as I regather my information and put in into a sensible format.

Here is a basic grouping of potion ideas utilizing related Ravenloft herbs.

"Divination Family" Of herbs.

Quovusp Root -    Roots native to Hazlan, used in divinations and as a deterrent to unnatural creatures.

- Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
 - Locations: Forests (Only in Hazlan)
 - Frequency: Uncommon (along the lines of the spawn rate of Purple Bolete)

Bitterblot - Plant native to Barovia used in divinations and curses.

- Season: Summer (Selected Summer because it is currently the 'off season' for most herbs, and little else is said about this plants time, that I can find!)
 - Locations: Grassy areas
 - Frequency: Uncommon (again, along the lines of the spawn rate of Purple Bolete, don't want a flood of these!)

Herbalism Usage:

Potion of Lore: Requires 2 Quovusp Roots. (DC 20)
   Quovusp root is said to be used in divinations and as deterrent to unnatural creatures. As the latter would be hard to form into a simple potion, I elected it to be the basic 'divination' style tonic.

Potion of Remove Curse: Requires 2 Bitterblot (DC 25)
   Bitterblot is used in both divinations as well as curses, so though its solo usage would be well placed with Remove Curse. As this spell is a bit more powerful then the lore potion above, I've recommended a higher DC, and the plant would be somewhat more rare, and with limited seasonal availability.

Potion of Remove Blindness/Deafness: Requires 2 Quovusp Roots and 2 Bitterblot (DC 30)
   The high end combination of these two plants, utilizing the divination abilities of both for the more powerful divination curative, Remove Blindness/Deafness.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 09:56:33 PM by Hatsune »
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Hatsune

• Undead Master
Re: Herbology Suggestion Thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 03:12:25 PM »
Greater Stat Potions!

We already have Greater Endurance potions, so figured that might open up the door to the other stats, as well. I liked the format of recipe of the existing potion, and so am utilizing similiar of reagents for it in these suggested brews.

This is somewhat incomplete at the moment, still trying to come up with good reagents, but figured I'd get the idea out, to start. Additional Idea's welcome for reagents, just try to keep them 'rare'!

"Customized Bulls Strength Name"
   Effect: Greater Bulls' Strength (11)
   DC: 30
   Herbs: 2 Crimson Lichen -OR- 2 Bloodberries
   Animal Focus: Ancient Dire Bear Tendens* (added drop to Ancient Dire Bears)
   Magical Focus:

"Customized Cats Grace Name"
   Effect: Greater Cat's Grace (11)
   Herbs: 2 Bleakcap -OR- 2 Wolftail
   Animal Focus: Dire Crag Cat Paw* (added drop to Dire Crag Cats)
   Magical Focus:

"Customized Fox's Cunning Name"
   Effect: Greater Fox's Cunning (11)
   Herbs: 2 Redcap -OR- 2 Black Avis
   Animal Focus:
   Magical Focus:  Werefox Tail* (Drop added to the various Werefoxes)

"Customized Owl's Wisdom Name"
   Effect: Greater Owl's Wisdom (11)
   Herbs: 2 Ghostcap -OR- 2 Blackwort
   Animal Focus:
   Magical Focus: Owlbear Feather* (Added drop to Owlbears)

"Customized Eagles Splendor Name"
   Effect: Greater Eagle's Splendor (11)
   Herbs: 2 Ravenclaw -OR- 2 Purple Bolete
   Animal Focus:
   Magical Focus: Brachina Blood* (Added drop to Brachinas)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 07:08:12 PM by Hatsune »
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

Smitehammer

• Undead Slayer
  • Frohe Weihnachten
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 04:24:07 PM »
For some potions, I think it would be neat to combine herbalism and gilding.  Perhaps a 'catalyst' of gold-gilded reagents could be added to the current recipes?  I have seen 'gold mines' before, but they are absolutely worthless as they currently stand.  Gilding is a craft that must be 'failed' to success, and as of now there is only ONE recipe (and that one itself is rather weak).  Adding a relatively simple (and actually USEFUL) gilding project would help a lot.

Or perhaps a marriage of alchemy and herbalism would work for some of these ideas?  Distill two potions of bull's strength to get an 'empowered bull's strength'.  This would certainly make more sense than the reasoning behind "Set's Ointment".  Seriously.  If the first person to teach that recipe hadn't known it from OOC knowledge, no one would have figured that mess out.
Wouldn't the world be better off if we took nonsense more seriously?

The time is now 4 AM

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 04:25:41 PM »
"Set's Ointment".  Seriously.  If the first person to teach that recipe hadn't known it from OOC knowledge, no one would have figured that mess out.

Most people still don't know the recipe.

Hatsune

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 05:29:33 PM »
"Set's Ointment".  Seriously.  If the first person to teach that recipe hadn't known it from OOC knowledge, no one would have figured that mess out.

Well, this happens in other things too. I don't know if anyone knew about Metal-plated boots until I stumbled upon it. I had never seen a pair, anyhow, so if they did they were keeping it secret.  I wasn't told the recipe for Set Ointment, only that it existed, with a pair 'non-herb' reagents. 

Biggest thing is making sure it is much harder to do then the normal Stat potions. Some limiting reagent of some sort, so it doesn't detract from the normal potions use.
Currently Playing:
Ayleese, Slyvan Bardess

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 07:18:36 PM »

Well, this happens in other things too. I don't know if anyone knew about Metal-plated boots until I stumbled upon it. I had never seen a pair, anyhow, so if they did they were keeping it secret.  I wasn't told the recipe for Set Ointment, only that it existed, with a pair 'non-herb' reagents. 

Biggest thing is making sure it is much harder to do then the normal Stat potions. Some limiting reagent of some sort, so it doesn't detract from the normal potions use.

its not even that its that hard to get whats needed
what i like is you have to go all over the server to collect what you need :)
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 07:52:43 PM »
Herbology? Tee hee:

[youtube=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_OezlTZ1A[/youtube]

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 09:49:51 AM »

I just learned the other day that you can make "metal" based armors with chitin using the leatherworking skill. I had no idea. I even tried to tell someone it wasn't possible. Seriously. who thought to even try that? its why I still mess with gold and platinum on occasion.

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 10:06:20 AM »
I would like to see a combination skill like trap making, only done with cure wound potions and simple bandages, this way the level of the potion can make different type of heal kit's....example.....cure minor wounds +  bandages = +1 heal kit....you can have them all the way up to higher multipliers based on the potion you use. you could use mummy wraps as the bandages...raw material. Just an idea I had.

cure minor wounds + Mummy wraps = +1 Heal kit

cure Moderate Wounds  +  Mummy wraps = +3 heal kit

Cure serous wounds + Mummy wraps = +5 heal kit

This way herbalist can make and sale above standard heal kits.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Sinful_Wishes

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 02:02:45 PM »

its not even that its that hard to get whats needed
what i like is you have to go all over the server to collect what you need :)

Hard enough, You pretty much need to have a nice chunk of money and time invested to get Set's Ointment potions made, and usually can't be done by people lower then about 10th.
Oswald: I vanted a bag of traps, but all I got vas genitals.
Ophelia: I got Osvald's bag of traps, now I'm forever encumberedt.