Author Topic: Amplify and Level Scale  (Read 6467 times)

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
Re: Amplify and Level Scale
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2013, 07:40:32 PM »
Lets do this by level instead.

Amplify spell :

Levels of caster    Bonus to listen
1-3                     +1
3-5                     +2
6-9                     +3
10-12                  +4
13-15                  +5
16-19                  +6
20                       +7

Have the horn set at 10th  level and you will get a +4, this still makes the horn useful and the spell more useful for high level bards as well. Fixes both issues.

This really shafts bards.  I'm not trying to make bards less powerful here, they are the ones that SHOULD be using this spell.  Your method is not really a 'compromise' because compared to the way I have suggested, you'd get even less from the horn.  My method is  +1 for each level of the item, which is set at caster level 5.  Under your method, the item would get dropped by 1 point and it would shaft bards who are not even using the spell from items.  I mean there are plenty of 15+ bards around, let those guys have their powerful amplify.  Listen is something bards should be really good at, and I'm not wanting to take that away from them.  It's Joe Punchy lvl 2 fighter that loots a horn out of the shadow forest that I'm targeting with this.

• Dark Power
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2013, 07:43:52 PM »
Lets do this by level instead.

Amplify spell :

Levels of caster    Bonus to listen
1-3                     +1
3-5                     +2
6-9                     +3
10-12                  +4
13-15                  +5
16-19                  +6
20                       +7

Have the horn set at 10th  level and you will get a +4, this still makes the horn useful and the spell more useful for high level bards as well. Fixes both issues.

This really shafts bards.  I'm not trying to make bards less powerful here, they are the ones that SHOULD be using this spell.  Your method is not really a 'compromise' because compared to the way I have suggested, you'd get even less from the horn.  My method is  +1 for each level of the item, which is set at caster level 5.  Under your method, the item would get dropped by 1 point and it would shaft bards who are not even using the spell from items.  I mean there are plenty of 15+ bards around, let those guys have their powerful amplify.  Listen is something bards should be really good at, and I'm not wanting to take that away from them.  It's Joe Punchy lvl 2 fighter that loots a horn out of the shadow forest that I'm targeting with this.

Yea but +20 to a skill is a bit much as far as I am concerned, Its ok when your level 40 but as far as a level 20 that is like taking one point every level and adding to a skill. I just think the +20 is to much, I would also change any spell that gives a +20 to a skill, Like for example True sight.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #27 on: June 20, 2013, 08:02:09 PM »
I dont actually think there is an issue with amplify, its that powerful for a reason. It only seems to be the culprit because listen gear is too plentiful and too high of bonuses on it so it makes amplify more of an auto detect than it would otherwise be.

The actual spell is fine, should only be used by bards and UMD with penalty (scrolls, not items)

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 02:02:30 AM »
+10 at all levels would be good if you allowed it to stack, honestly.