You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Help Needed  (Read 2698 times)

FullMoon

• Undead Master
Help Needed
« on: June 08, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »
Not sure if this section is for game related problems only and if so I apologize for posting in the wrong spot.

A couple days ago nwn became unplayable for me. I log on and everything is fine for just under a minute and then massive lag kicks in.

I noticed that after I quit the game the nwn.exe is usually still running. I also noticed multiple listings for "IEXPLORE.EXE" and some are using large amounts of memory . Yes all in capitals. Looking around online there does seem to be a virus based around IEXPLORE.EXE but I am still not realy sure it's the problem as none of the solutions I have found online have helped. I have run numerous antivirus/anti mal/spyware etc and none are find ing anything.

I am currently running windows XP. Any help with this would be welcome.

Full Moon
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 10:41:11 AM by FullMoon »

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
Re: Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »
Right then, well first off this is certainly the right spot for this.

Now then, onto the problem at hand, what various Anti-Virus/Mal/Spy software have you tried?

Honestly would suggest first off Malwarebytes myself, but that's personal preference really.

Also have you tried running anything like a dedicated rootkit scanner? Rootkit revealer, sophos Anti Rootkit and all the lovely variations from different companies?

Have you tried forcibly closing the various problem executables? And do they start with windows itself or do they only start when you do certain things? (can also check some of your startup programs by running msconfig.exe from the run command, though the Autoruns program from Sysinternals is by far better).

Possibly downloading, running and posting a copy of a hijackthis scan either here or on a more tech focus'd forum would provide your helpers with more information on what's happening.

Squeak.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 12:12:33 PM by Squeak »

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 12:20:06 PM »
When having issues like these there's a few way of grasping it.

the first would be to close your own iexplorere.exe and making sure its closed and then see if the porcesses remain open afterwards.

Based on this i'd say if the processes remained open afterwards i'd boot the system into failsafe mode and download the following on another computer "Malwarebytes" and "Spyware: Search and Destroy"

Start with installing malwarebytes making an check with that and finish off with the S&D - make sure to make it a full scan of the harddrive.

After running these programs your done with the "Spyware" part of the cleaning - you will now need to close the computer.

download Ultimate BootCD from: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and make your computer boot on the cd.

From here you initiate a ClamScan Antivirus scan, this should clean your computer as you don't initiate any part of the local drive and run purely on RAM.

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 01:52:32 PM »
Hey, thanks for taking interest. So far I have used Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, Kaspersky, and Microsoft Security Essentials.

It is sometimes still there when I close windows.

So far nothing is solved.

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2013, 11:09:18 AM »

the first would be to close your own iexplorere.exe and making sure its closed and then see if the porcesses remain open afterwards.

Based on this i'd say if the processes remained open afterwards i'd boot the system into failsafe mode and download the following on another computer "Malwarebytes" and "Spyware: Search and Destroy"

Start with installing malwarebytes making an check with that and finish off with the S&D - make sure to make it a full scan of the harddrive.

After running these programs your done with the "Spyware" part of the cleaning - you will now need to close the computer.

download Ultimate BootCD from: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/ and make your computer boot on the cd.

From here you initiate a ClamScan Antivirus scan, this should clean your computer as you don't initiate any part of the local drive and run purely on RAM.

There are no instruction how to boot from CD, though I have made the bootdisk. Spt bot found a few and deleted them but the problem still persists. I'm really stumped here.

Mark Johansen

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2013, 01:06:35 PM »

There are no instruction how to boot from CD, though I have made the bootdisk. Spt bot found a few and deleted them but the problem still persists. I'm really stumped here.

You have to restart the computer, from there it's usualy pressing either F8, F10 or F12 key to initiate boot pompt - if you own an older computer you will need to change the boot order in your bios but that is not recommended unless you know how.

If you are unable to get on from here i'd suggest getting in contact with an IT-Supporter or DataTechnician.

FullMoon

• Undead Master
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2013, 02:25:32 AM »
Thanks for the help guys, problem seems solved. In the end HitmanPro saved the day.

blur927

• Outlander
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
IEXPLORE.EXE is internet explorer, and the multiple processes running would be from multiple tabs.

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 09:36:21 PM »
IEXPLORE.EXE is internet explorer, and the multiple processes running would be from multiple tabs.

Incorrect, iexplorer.exe is internet explorer.   IEXPLORER.EXE in capitals is a file commonly used via malware into making people believe such.

Evil_Lyn

• New to the Mists
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 11:03:40 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I just recently downloaded the new Haks and TLK.  I logged in the game and everything seemed to be running smoothly.  However, when my character ran down hills or up hills I was shoved up into the air and it lagged me.  And when I came back down to the ground I put my mouse pointer over the hill and it had a 'X' over it.  I'm not sure if I got one of the haks wrong...or what.  But before I do a complete reinstall, does anyone have any ideas of what I can do to maybe fix this problem?  Thank you so much.

-Lyn

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:42:28 AM »
Wrong haks, and make sure you got them all
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company