Author Topic: Populace Comand  (Read 5898 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Populace Comand
« on: May 27, 2013, 10:51:11 PM »
A simple comand that would list areas and how many people are in them. This is to allow for better choices when it comes to rp. So you dont spend the 15 mins walking to Port to find no one there. You use the comand and get something like,

Lady's Rest Inn: 5
Barovia - Vallaki - Western Outskirts: 10
Drain: 2
Port-a-Lucine - Eastern Outskirts: 2

Etc....

Nothing that says who is where, or gives any info on what chars are there. Just numbers and locations. So when looking for rp you can pull up the list and choose where to go, rather then wandering around vast empty areas and growing frustrated cause you just spent 2 hours looking for rp and found none, and end up returning to the outskirts.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
Re: Populace Comand
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:05:18 PM »
MPCs have that, but I think some have said it would be too easiy to exploit where spies where.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 11:08:19 PM »
Yeah, MPCs have that. Its a little more vague. Its been suggested before.

(All of Vallaki, all of Port, etc, would have the same listing)

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:33:51 PM »
MPCs have that, but I think some have said it would be too easiy to exploit where spies where.

Dont "spies" have to be actual PC's? You cant have imaginary spies all over? So. . nu sure how that effects it O..o?

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:46:50 PM »
If you can only see three people in the rest but the locator says four you'll assume there's a spy which is both unfair and meta.

Ophie Kitty

• Inactive - Quit
  • Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 11:47:52 PM »

Dont "spies" have to be actual PC's? You cant have imaginary spies all over? So. . nu sure how that effects it O..o?

For Example, If you were wanting to have a secret meeting in Krofburg and wanted to make sure you were alone there with your group.. you'd use @locate to check to make sure it only said as many people as you had; if there was more.. you'd use that knowledge and worry about there being a spy.

Its sort of like using the load-detect method to see that theres someone stealthed in the area. Because you know there might be someone else with you, if you're talking about sensitive information people almost always watch what they say.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 11:50:18 PM by Rhymenoceros »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2013, 05:33:15 AM »
Having the PC locator being an option for other PCs, where you can choose to make yourself hidden to it, would prevent that issue.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2013, 08:09:49 AM »
It came up before, in that thread the most popular option was for it to be implemented, but only useable from the OoC area. That way you prevent pretty much all of the abuse and it immediately makes it very clear that said information is not meant to be IC information. But either way, I think the devs are really too occupied with the Hak pack fixes and stabilisation issues to bring suggestions for custom features back up.

Tyras

• Dark Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:02 AM »
As nice as it may be, I have to agree with some other s here in seeing how it can be easily exploited.  Metagaming is a sad reality, it is why we can't have nice things.

Misted_Horror

• Undead Master
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 10:12:56 AM »
people will exploit it, get a friend to log on, check it. I'd love to say that people can be trusted, but someone will use it to get an unfair advantage to find things out, etc.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2013, 10:40:21 AM »
Sometimes, I just want to talk to people. I like knowing where people are to do so. Going around the server trying to look for people to RP with takes away from time I could spend roleplaying with them. It doesn't add realism, it doesn't add immersion, I'm not benefiting from any added fun in walking and running about aimlessly. Obviously, if such a system were added, there'd be an ability for you to be made anonymous and not factored into the overall count.

ladylena

• Gundie Mom
  • Dark Power
  • Meow!
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2013, 12:36:03 PM »
It would be at least nice to have a variant of that to tell us if a DM is online.
Currently playing:
                          Narcissa Bogdan

ponygold

• Red Vardo Traders Front
  • Undead Master
  • Strafing like a wizard since 2012
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2013, 01:30:29 PM »
It would be at least nice to have a variant of that to tell us if a DM is online.

I second this, without the player listing I'd be nice to have some way of checking if a DM is online instead of just asking every few moments on the DM channel if there is some sort of issue or question :)
Character:       Active: 
Arrun Correus       Yes   [No]  
Bejòr Rathenas     Yes   [No]
Jacho                 [Yes]   No     
Cerèbus Müldir     Yes   [No]

Login: softpillow         Discord: ponygold#2826

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2013, 01:40:03 PM »
As said the current method doesn't really help or offer much. Specially with us trying to get people to move away from the outskirts rather then all clumping there because we cant find people any where else.

There are other ways to spy on people and groups, such as by actually joining them and using that position to gather use anything you find out. With every system or update there will always be the risk of people abusing whats added for something it wasn't meant for.

It should also not be something confined to the OOC room only as well since over time people move about, it would be nice to see where new "hot spots" pop up. Also on "secret meetings" there are plenty of inns and such all over with doors that lock. Which is kinda where important sensitive topics should be discussed. Not in the middle of the woods where someone in Hips, Invis or GS (if hostile).

The pro's seem to out weight the con's for me. Since there are easy methods to prevent the cons listed. And as the list speaks in numbers and not names there isn't really a reason to have a "Hidden" function for your person.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2013, 01:46:01 PM »
It should also not be something confined to the OOC room only as well since over time people move about ...

That's the entire point of placing it in the OoC room, making it so that you have to move to an inn or safe location to use it.
Else people could use it anywhere and track lone players for whatever reason, having it in the OoC area prevents this abuse.

I'm not against the system, it sounds useful, but I honestly don't trust the playerbase enough to say let's make it useable on command.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2013, 04:45:45 PM »
Well, in places like Barovia. The Tser Camp, Mist Camp, The Drain, The ML would need to all allow for jumping to the OOC since anyone who is a outsider or has a OCR and cant enter local inns will need a way to get to it as well then.

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 04:49:07 PM »
Barovian outcasts do have a couple semi-convenient options:
Spoiler: show
The back room of the Drain with the Mad Dok and Crawler counts as an inn, if I remember right as do a couple of the Dvergeheim  NPC rooms if they are friendly with the dwarves.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2013, 04:52:14 PM »
Well, in places like Barovia. The Tser Camp, Mist Camp, The Drain, The ML would need to all allow for jumping to the OOC since anyone who is a outsider or has a OCR and cant enter local inns will need a way to get to it as well then.

In vallaki area: you got the drain, the hospice, the dwarf and elf areas that all can be used by outcasts.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2013, 05:11:35 PM »
Wasnt sure about all those and never did try. Since there is generally little reason to go to the ooc. But those are all more around vallaki, we need something out towards the caravan way. Possibly the abandoned inn? Since its near the Ferry/Alchemy place. But if there are the plenty of spaces listed the ooc area would be good for it.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2013, 05:20:27 PM »
You know, you can always send a Tell to someone once your in, it is as much OOC information as some widget telling you where they are. If they are hidnig and don't want to be found, then, they will tell you in a response tell. No extra scripting, and it serves the same purpose.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2013, 06:07:48 PM »
Not sure as i see how that compares to what is suggested? You would have to send a PM to every person asking "Hey, are you in port?" and wait to see who says yes and how many say yes. And then if there are none repeat the process for somewhere else you would go.

Something in the OOC or command is a one click solution to how you can best use the amount of time you will be one. If i log in and want to RP i can go to somewhere to jump to the ooc room, or use the command and be given a general idea of where id be able to find rp. Without having to spend the majority of my time running from one place to another searching for someone, or anyone to rp with.

It helps solve the issue of everyone hunkering down around one area i think. Along with the ooc rage issue of blowing most your time ig running across empty maps. It helps create more character interaction.

LawfulJoe

• "Evil is a thing of perception, it depends on which end of the sword you're on"
  • Dark Power
  • aka AwfulJoe
    • Joe Kellerman - Graphic Artist
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
I was referencing the looking for someone specific, such as  Bob Boberan - Lady's Rest. The in general knowing how many people are where as an option for say... the Scrying pool in the OOC area would be fine. I was going back to the original post where it was more specific in nature.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2013, 07:04:08 PM »
Ah, ya specific is always best to ask the person directly.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2013, 08:34:42 PM »
A while ago in the wee years of the ravenloft server being brought in to life it was rather taboo to send a tell to someone asking for a rescue let alone "where are you bro?". Best we could do was "hey mate the crypts is looking like a pretty good spawn right now yea?"

The reason i dislike having this sort of OOC tell me where everyone is thing is becasue its the same reason why ravenloft doesnt use the party system.
It is far more realistic and scary if you have no idea where people are.

Yea it sucks that you cant find the role play hot spots and such but hey thats life man.

P.S The suggestion by Bootie Boots Booterson to have a script that tells us if a dm is online, Sweet as. Great idea.

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2013, 09:25:52 PM »
In a perfect world you might be right. But with timezones, rl responsibilities it just isnt practical, specially on servers with tons of areas. And with the desire to move people about instead of everyone on the same map, this could really help. The suggestion dosnt say exactly where a person is specificly, it just lists maps and how many players are there.

As to the tell for help. Even without this system such is/was possible.

So far the pro's seem,

* Can tell if a Dungeon is already being done
* Can find RP more Easily
* Can tell which areas see the most frequent use

Suggested Con's,

* Can tell if there is a spy about (Solution: Use a private inn room or similar area with a lockable door)
* Can/Will be exploited (Solution: Since no specifics are given you cant really exploit where anyone is. You can only see how many people are where)

Any others?