You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Expectations and reality  (Read 9902 times)

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
Re: Expectations and reality
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 12:41:28 PM »
I'm not sure what special 'insight' exactly you are referring to. Seems like i mentioned pretty obvious stuff?

Kaspar

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
I have my doubts too, but oh well.

My advise is to find a group of people that you fit in with and play the game. If you're looking for the thrilling and horrific elements of the server you won't find them in or around the outskirts on most days of the week, and they definitely won't creep up over night. (Unless it's a werewolf or vampire. ;)) It takes time and character progression for meaningful things to start happening in a story.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 12:54:20 PM »
Look, assuming you are actually a new player... You must be at least reasonably intelligent to make all of these observations, compare them at length to the expectations and information posted in all of our own source material, and analyze the differences to formulate into a post.  

So, being an individual of reasonable intelligence who has gotten this far - why is it that your major failing has come from wholeheartedly believing that the entirity of a server is ALWAYS going to be , without fail, EXACTLY like the description box says it is.  Do you seriously believe that a player base this large will, for hours and hours, days and days, 100% of the time portray fear and terror from their characters?  Do you even believe that to be possible?  Do you find it reasonable to draw conclusions after only evaluating 1% of the data available to you?  (Giant server.  Tons of areas and players.  You make all your observations based on one map and people who pass through it over 2 days.)

The fact that you seem to have no question about anything else stands out as well.  Anyone joining 2 days ago would have played one day, updated the hak, then played a second day.

It would help if you could drop your character name, so people could try and work with you or get you involved in things.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 12:56:03 PM by Legion XXI »

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 01:11:20 PM »
You want more fear and paranoia? Play a caliban. :twisted:
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2013, 01:14:31 PM »
It's becoming a tad obvious that you guys suspect me of being someone else, and i'm not sure why. Do you honestly so thoroughly lack.. normal people? Or is it the opposite, an abundance of idiots/trolls?

I would say i created this post to receive feedback from the people who have actually played here a reasonable length of time, it helps me to determine the type of server it is and the type of people that populate it. And no Legion, it would be intensely naive of me to believe that. I think my problem was having high(er) expectations due to the hardcore RP aspects promised, and to then see the same thing i've seen on the other servers i've tried. (At least initially. As we have been over, i am very new)

Why does my lack of questions regarding other things stand out? These are the questions that are important to me, the others are either not, or i have figured out myself.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2013, 01:35:39 PM »
Please forgive the suspicions being thrown against you. You have inadvertently kicked up one of the larger topics of debate on the forum. We have, in the past, had individuals would felt they could not make their points on their main account pose as new players for 'perspective'.

That being said there are many frightening aspects to the server, and it can be very difficult depending on who you associate with and what you play. I imagine the event you refer to may be somewhat toned down if you were in the outskirts or crypts due to the expectation that there will be a number of low level characters present. Sometimes higher level characters will interfere though. There is also a chance the event was an encounter with an mpc. These characters work within most of the same limitations as other characters when it comes to running events but exist as monsters to add to the atmosphere and hazards.

Anyway welcome to the server.

Dread

• Dark Power
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2013, 01:38:10 PM »
So many internet sleuths up in this thread

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2013, 01:46:16 PM »
And you did ask for Fear and Paranoia, did you not? Alas we have certain elements who are abit paranoid even OOCly.

We allow them to run free, as we are an accepting community

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2013, 01:47:44 PM »
Is Dutchy's english always this bad?

Yes, it is, unfortunately. We try to train him using beer as an incentive, but the paradox is that it also destroys his brain cells, so there's definitely a law of diminishing return affecting how much we can teach him :-/
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2013, 01:47:54 PM »
I'm not one to say your initial impressions are wrong, but I do think they are prone to the pitfalls of small sample sizes.
The experience you get in roleplay server are affected by a lot of variables and a good many are outside your control as you likely know from your previous experiences prior to PotM, but horror roleplay is not that different from day to day as any roleplay. That does not mean its not different though, it does require establishing a baseline for your character one what is normal and commonplace, so that you will have established triggers of what is supernatural and horrific.
The best way to get the most out of early gameplay is to have a character who is goal oriented and personable and outgoing for your first character.
Extrovert characters are easier to get off to a quick start and have some roleplay and horror experiences to get a taste for the server.
Sometimes you will see a new player make a choice to play an introverted, broody, judgmental, sarcastic character believing it will help the horror mood but it actually does the opposite by stifling the amount of interaction they get. The key component to the flavor of horror PotM strives for is having something to lose and until you obtain friends or status your character has little that can be leveraged by the nefarious elements in our play.
I don't know who you are or who you play, but I wouldn't really change that advice for any player old or new so it does not matter.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Apocrypha

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:30 PM »
I have been on PotM for what, 6-7 years now?  I've never found a lack of gritty horror and gothic tragedy because I create it around myself with players who have the same vision or similar.

I find that I do have to dig deep to make it through the crust of players that do not desire anything bad to happen to their characters ever.  Hugging, civil rights in a medieval setting, and other anachronistic artifacts of player entitlement must be overlooked in order to find PoTM's sweet spot.

The sweet spot is very sweet, though.
Banned Indefinitely.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2013, 01:48:39 PM »
Is Dutchy's english always this bad?

Yes, it is, unfortunately. We try to train him using beer as an incentive, but the paradox is that it also destroys his brain cells, so there's definitely a law of diminishing return affecting how much we can teach him :-/

true story
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

edarsenik

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2013, 03:44:58 PM »
Hello, i'm new, etc etc. Recently i've been trying to find a good nwn RP server, having so far tried Amia, Arelith, and now Ravenloft.

Amia could be called an RP-lite server, at best. Arelith had some excellent RP, if a rather low player-base and almost none DM interaction. (The DM interaction is what makes nwn so appealing to me). So i then tried Ravenloft. I liked the idea of the xp progression system, and the dark, 'frightening' atmosphere that the website promotes. Yet what the website claims, and what the IG is actually like, seems to be rather apart. Indeed, i viewed a DM event which, (no disrespect to the DMs, they do what they do), seemed.. civilised. There was nothing to fear. Excuse me if i am entirely wrong, but the impression i got from what the server was like (via the website) was 'dark, scary, atmospheric, prepare to run with your tail between your legs etc etc'. Yet IG i just see the same old server to server groups of people ambling/standing about quite happily, people casting magic (which the website claims is a no-no?), and of course little giggling haflings which would, in any real world, have been eaten already.

These are my concerns and feedback, as i am confused between what the website claims, and what the server provides. Could someone please refute or agree with my claims, and provide with me an explanation as to what the server is actually like/supposed to be like?

Regards

Personally, I think you just need to get into it a bit more. I mean, if youre thinking theres nothing to fear, thats your first mistake. This is a Role Playing Server, so fear sometimes has to be played out in character. As for you (the player behind the wheel) truly experiencing ''Fear'' I think your expectations are a little steep, I mean come on... Are you really going to be THAT afraid of a video game? Its all about the stories, and the atmosphere it sets for us, the players, to create the real horror. I can honestly say that if youve only been playing for 2 days that you know nothing of the awesomeness that stands before you. All it takes is a little digging and youll soon uncover the hidden gem. Also you have to take into consideration the area you start in may be populated by others who were on the same servers you spoke of, so they may still bring the same type of roleplay to POTM. With time though you will see POTM shine (Or Darken) and as others said, when you see it youll be hooked... Ive played almost every game out there, and nothing comes even close to recreating the Ravenloft setting as the awesome people at POTM... Im also a big fan of the setting so I may be biased... But since I found this server, Ive not been able to leave, or play any other games.. Its ruined them for me because of the passion the players, DMs, and Community puts forth in thier stories and actions is nothing short of amazing... For you to judge it on 2 days of experience is just wrong.. Anyways welcome, and I hope the gloom will set in for you, so you too can see the harsh world set before you.... :bat:
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 04:56:55 PM by edarsenik »

Through battle, you find validation, liberation, and exultation.

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2013, 05:38:35 PM »
This server is very much like the horror it strives to portray.
At first, everything is fine, ordinary, dull, perhaps even light hearted...
Then something happens, something small, perhaps...
You think to yourself: "That's weird" and go about your day...
But it builds... and builds... and builds...
creeping through every crack and gap in your psyche, it sneaks inside you...
Feeds on you...
Takes from you all the normalcy you once felt existed in the world...
Then you discover that all the light hearted things you saw at the beginning are sinister, in truth...
Smiles and laughter hide the cold hearts and madness...
In time you will join us...
There is no resisting...

Welcome, fellow Prisoner.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:42:29 PM by Amon-Si »

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2013, 07:57:04 PM »
Feeds on you...
Then you discover that all the light hearted things you saw at the beginning are sinister, in truth...
There is no resisting...

For a moment I thought it was going to turn into one of those Old Spice commercials there.
And yes, do ignore the suspicions. It's probably your unusual choice of username that got them on their toes.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 07:58:47 PM by Feronius »

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2013, 08:01:56 PM »
How well the other players and the DMs foster interaction is the single most important factor in what you can expect.
If your expectations are not meeting reality the main causes will be, basically, the other humans shaping the scenes you get to witness.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Kendric98

• Dark Power
  • Omnipotent Overlord of the Omniverse!
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 08:33:59 PM »
Feeds on you...
There is no resisting...

Yah its sort of like marriage in that way.

Samson/Tatyanna Costella

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 08:45:04 PM »
Dutchy stop trolling the Noob, go troll our other players instead.
oh common 2 days and such an insight?  thats more of a thing that players who played here have you have to admid its odd.
*to the new guy*
but if you are new,sharp eyes and understanding, you must realise the hmm suspecion there are somtimes players who pretend to be new to make these type of posts.
overall the outskirts is not a place to judge the server by, its potm lite   so ppl can adjust to the setting.
my english is usualy even worse  :lol:

Hi Im Juice, Im like Dutcy with better english and i give you  
:deal: EVIDENCE!! :deal:
A player that has been on two days wouldnt have THIS much insight and if we look at
BAM!
 :8E:
Opps thats my GF. I mean....
BAM!
Date Registered: 04:22:34 AM
Post made: 04:39:00 AM

This thread was their first ever post. Made 17 Minutes after registering. Also the Name "notanyone"Just sounds fishy.

You honor, people of the court, It is my belief that this login is a GRIEFER!!  [Courtroom gasp]
I rest my case.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:00:43 PM by Juice »

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Kaspar

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 09:17:35 PM »
Dutchy stop trolling the Noob, go troll our other players instead.
oh common 2 days and such an insight?  thats more of a thing that players who played here have you have to admid its odd.
*to the new guy*
but if you are new,sharp eyes and understanding, you must realise the hmm suspecion there are somtimes players who pretend to be new to make these type of posts.
overall the outskirts is not a place to judge the server by, its potm lite   so ppl can adjust to the setting.
my english is usualy even worse  :lol:

Hi Im Juice, Im like Dutcy with better english and i give you  
:deal: EVIDENCE!! :deal:
A player that has been on two days wouldnt have THIS much insight and if we look at
BAM!
 :8E:
Opps thats my GF. I mean....
BAM!
Date Registered: 04:22:34 AM
Post made: 04:39:00 AM

This thread was their first ever post. Made 17 Minutes after registering. Also the Name "notanyone"Just sounds fishy.

You honor, people of the court, It is my belief that this login is a GRIEFER!!  [Courtroom gasp]
I rest my case.

Everybody on the server knows that this discussion should take place on the Server & Community board.....

The fact that it has been posted on General Feedback dev forums is clearly the work of a n00b.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2013, 09:22:18 PM »
Everybody on the server knows that this discussion should take place on the Server & Community board.....

The fact that it has been posted on General Feedback dev forums is clearly the work of a n00b.

Objection!

Many people miss post or place posts in the wrong thread thinking it is the right one.
I have done this on several occasions.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:24:45 PM by Juice »

Kaspar

« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2013, 09:39:06 PM »
Many people miss post or place posts in the wrong thread thinking it is the right one.

clearly the work of a n00b.

Apocrypha

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #46 on: May 21, 2013, 09:46:53 PM »
I'm willing to suspend belief for the possibility that, some individual out there would, experiencing the vast wealth of treasures available through online NWN roleplay, and extensively at that, be quite informed upon the expected norms of expression based upon the core values of this site.

I mean, when I arrived here I knew everything!
Banned Indefinitely.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2013, 10:02:03 PM »
*keeps biting tongue*

Must resist urge to speak opinion..................
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Apocrypha

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2013, 10:42:15 PM »
If you wanted to tell us how you really felt Dutchy, why don't you just use your newest account?

...!
Notanyone
Banned Indefinitely.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2013, 10:44:21 PM »

clearly the work of a n00b.

Sorry im not perfect like you K PRO!

Anyone else tell im outragously bored at work and this is a good source of entertainment.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 10:46:19 PM by Juice »