Author Topic: Expectations and reality  (Read 9904 times)

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
Expectations and reality
« on: May 21, 2013, 05:39:00 AM »
Hello, i'm new, etc etc. Recently i've been trying to find a good nwn RP server, having so far tried Amia, Arelith, and now Ravenloft.

Amia could be called an RP-lite server, at best. Arelith had some excellent RP, if a rather low player-base and almost none DM interaction. (The DM interaction is what makes nwn so appealing to me). So i then tried Ravenloft. I liked the idea of the xp progression system, and the dark, 'frightening' atmosphere that the website promotes. Yet what the website claims, and what the IG is actually like, seems to be rather apart. Indeed, i viewed a DM event which, (no disrespect to the DMs, they do what they do), seemed.. civilised. There was nothing to fear. Excuse me if i am entirely wrong, but the impression i got from what the server was like (via the website) was 'dark, scary, atmospheric, prepare to run with your tail between your legs etc etc'. Yet IG i just see the same old server to server groups of people ambling/standing about quite happily, people casting magic (which the website claims is a no-no?), and of course little giggling haflings which would, in any real world, have been eaten already.

These are my concerns and feedback, as i am confused between what the website claims, and what the server provides. Could someone please refute or agree with my claims, and provide with me an explanation as to what the server is actually like/supposed to be like?

Regards

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
Re: Expectations and reality
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 05:44:16 AM »
It depends on who you play with and where you go.

I've certainly been in some DM events where I was quite afraid for my character's life.

Casting magic when there are no Barovians around is something you can get away with. But if there's PC garda around, expect a world of pain.

In general, I would say the Outskirts is generally not representative of the mood and themes of the server. Some people call it "Little Faerun" as a pejorative; for a reason...
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 05:47:01 AM »
 :poke: I suspect an old player in a newbs uniform....

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 05:52:33 AM »
This server houses all sorts of roleplay styles and players who persue their on stories.
The starting areas are lighter in nature due to being a hub but further you branch out and seek risks the
more dark and bizarre your likely to encouter.

Geiger

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 05:59:12 AM »
Also: if you like - me and you can RP together.

Just come to the wall of the western outskirts, near the well behind the inn, and stand there sometime between the hours of 18 and 5.

Spoiler: show
 :twisted: hahahahplsdont :twisted: We can still RP though.

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 06:01:31 AM »
Not everything horror related is immediately apparent and you should definitely not judge the server by the outskirts, which are more or less a meltingpot of freaks and outlanders.
Especially DM events/stories will generally set the mood, sometimes very subtly, sometimes more obvious. But in the end, to maintain an atmosphere of horror and dread is also the responsibilty of the players. When players remain outside at night just because they know they can take on the NPC spawns at night (and I'm guilty of that as well), the night loses a lot of dread.

As for casting spells... scripted NPCs can only do so much, again it's the players' responsibilty to respect the setting. Of course not everybody knows about the setting and a lot of people will act as if they were still on Faerun, Oerth, Krynn or wherever. Try casting magic around a PC garda and as aprogessivist already stated, you'll be in for a world of pain. Also cast around NPCs often enough and then try to enter town...

Boots

• Princess Postledash
  • Dark Power
  • The Bard Queen
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 06:11:06 AM »
Also: if you like - me and you can RP together.

Just come to the wall of the western outskirts, near the well behind the inn, and stand there sometime between the hours of 18 and 5.

Spoiler: show
 :twisted: hahahahplsdont :twisted: We can still RP though.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
He's a great RPer, during those hours only.

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 06:15:51 AM »
Sometimes it might not set in straight away. But if you are lucky, it will.

When I started, I logged in during a night cycle and the first encounter of my time on POTM was running watching a 'Large Wolf' stalk up and shapechange into a werewolf. Before I had to flee to the dawn sanctuary.

I've found it can be VERY fun at low levels, when you get stranded out during the night.... LitABonfire knows what I'm talking about.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 06:19:35 AM »
Mmm. 'If' there's a PC Garda around seems awfully situational. I might take to observing magic users and reporting their identities to the guard for rewards.  :idea:

How is it possible for players to not know the setting, and pretend they are still in Faerun etc, either OOC or IC? The amount of reading i did before even logging in left me with no doubts as to where the module is based, and similarly, the IC start is hardly ambiguous.

And you are correct, it is indeed down to the players to maintain the atmosphere and setting to a degree, but what is done about those that don't, in the interests of server integrity?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:21:56 AM by Notanyone »

queenofspades

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 06:26:40 AM »
People who cast magic openly without being carefull of when they do, will find themselves in a bad position. Around the outskirts, when the garda aren't patrolling there, you can be relatively safe from that however.... don't take my word for it, though.

One thing I might note, is that the outskirts of Vallaki are very much a 'safer' area than most on the server. That consideration for fair play. In terms of making it possible for new players to land on thier' feet. might lead to the initial impression of the server being allot less scary. I think its also why so many more people gravitate to such a place.
Currently Playing
Filipa Florea
Gwendolyn Blackmore
Ylndar Lharithlyn
Erik Mihaly
Chloe Labelle

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 06:28:52 AM »
You would have to think like your character. Quickly suffer ic consequences for actions if your caught.
If you feel somebody is being disruptive to the setting there's the community council to mediate.
Not every one reads the forums.  New players may only learn from example set before them.
And if you don't like somebody's style your not forced to play with them...but there's ways to resolve issues.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 07:24:15 AM »
How is it possible for players to not know the setting, and pretend they are still in Faerun etc, either OOC or IC? The amount of reading i did before even logging in left me with no doubts as to where the module is based, and similarly, the IC start is hardly ambiguous.

I personally opted not to read to much about the setting as my char wasnt from the lands and i wished to learn things naturally as they did that way i wouldnt confuse and mash up what my char learned and what id read all about. As my char did this they very much tried to treat the new lands around them like their former ones till they were forced to change their views ^-^

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12:13 AM »
And you are correct, it is indeed down to the players to maintain the atmosphere and setting to a degree, but what is done about those that don't, in the interests of server integrity?

Honestly? Nothing. What can you do? Can't go around banning people at random.
There are however some rules in places against the more extreme cases, who get banned.

And if you're not affraid of the server yet, just you wait until you've faced off bunch of boars. Terrifying.

Endlessorrow

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 08:18:17 AM »
  Years before NWN was released I ran a ravenloft pencil and paper 2nd edition campaign. One of the problems I had in generating fear seems to carry over to prisoners of the mists. That is out of character knowledge being nearly impossible not to act on and base descisions on. Even unintentionaly. The D.M.s have some tools to spring surprises on us as it seems do monster player characters. The setting itself contains a great quantity of knowns however. And players will conciously or unconciously use knowledge their characters could not posess and know when they are safe, and how to handle hazzards.

The other problem is the power of spell casting classes in particular. In D and D. Mid to high level mages are rightfully confident in their abilities to evade Barovian guards, and night time terrors or kill them with ease. Same for standard monsters. The raven loft setting is designed to be low magic. And its items are. High level casters however by their very nature are not. As a result they have good reason to be fearless.
Current main characters, Fador Flint and Red Mika.

Dire Corby

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »

If a DM happens to be watching when someone does something flagrant, like cast spells carelessly or flaunt the dangers of the night, then you might see an angry mob or a horde of zombies (like the one we fought last night).  But that's not the norm. 

We have a great staff, but they simply don't have the time or numbers to police players who are ignoring the setting.  We would have to have one or two DMs on at all times following PCs around to catch them in the act, ignoring all the other things a DM can and should be doing.

The server is a community, we all, staff and players, are here for fun, and server atmosphere is what we make of it.

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 11:08:08 AM »
Well, thanks for your feedback everyone.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2013, 12:11:37 PM »
am honestly suprised you can word and see all this as a new player.

i'm having questions marks here like juice.

Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
Why is it surprising?

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2013, 12:21:54 PM »
how long you been playing on potm?
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2013, 12:26:36 PM »
2 days.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 12:27:21 PM »
Dutchy stop trolling the Noob, go troll our other players instead.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 12:32:17 PM »
Welcome to the server though :)

feel free to ask any more questions you might have :)

Notanyone

• New to the Mists
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 12:38:17 PM »
Is Dutchy's english always this bad?

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:30 PM »
He is Dutchy, he is known for many strange things

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 12:39:41 PM »
Dutchy stop trolling the Noob, go troll our other players instead.

oh common 2 days and such an insight?  thats more of a thing that players who played here have you have to admid its odd.

*to the new guy*

but if you are new,sharp eyes and understanding, you must realise the hmm suspecion there are somtimes players who pretend to be new to make these type of posts.

overall the outskirts is not a place to judge the server by, its potm lite   so ppl can adjust to the setting.

my english is usualy even worse  :lol: