You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Instance door locked with specific key  (Read 2208 times)

saleiv

• New to the Mists
Instance door locked with specific key
« on: May 20, 2013, 05:27:56 PM »
Greetings,

I am having a lot of fun on the server, but there are some moments which seem to be slightly underwhelming and downright disappointing.

We went off and explored the Balinok Mountains on our own, which was very fun. After finding a bunch of deserted caves, we still perservered.
After some more exploring we found a passage east towards a hidden valley. We were pretty much amused by this development.

We had a lot of fun roleplaying and enjoying ourselves when we found the Hidden Valley Cave. We fought through the monsters, dug through the stones... aaaaaaand just to find a door locked with a "Specific key".

Come on! We had so much fun prior to that moment, just to get cockblocked by a specific key. Why have a door to the dungeon locked with a specific key? It was very underwhelming and feels like being punished for actually enjoying the roleplay and exploration.
It really bummed us both out :(

I think this should be looked into and dungeons like this should not be locked with a specific key. I mean, I could live if I could pick it open at one point. But this is simply... meh.

We could not find the key anywhere. It should at least be somewhere nearby.
EDIT: Or at least give a hint where to find the key. I REALLY wish to know what is in the dungeon, but I have no idea where to start looking.

I hope you look into this.

Kind regards,
Salleh
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 05:31:46 PM by saleiv »

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
Re: Instance door locked with specific key
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2013, 05:47:28 PM »
I only vaguely remember the purpose of that door, but in such scenarios that 'plot door' (as it's often called) is typically a result of either:
1. an entrance/exit for a faction or DM-purposed area
2. a one-way exit from a dungeon

...and usually you aren't allowed to go back in on purpose. However, I think it might be an exit from one of the dungeons under Dvergeheim.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 05:53:43 PM »
Spoiler: show
The dungeon in the Hidden Valley is plot-locked because you're meant to break the doors down. Bring a crowbar and someone with high Str and/or with Str buffs and it should be feasible.
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

Badelaire

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 06:00:43 PM »
That's not a dungeon, it's one of those hidden areas full of old secrets and memories Ravenloft is full of. It's supposed to be sealed by psionic powers (at least that's what was revealed IG to me) or the specific key (of which few are in circulation anymore). I doubt it's intended to be broken down.

It's the monastery of the contemplative mind.

I'm sure many people will remember Inajira's little visit:

saleiv

• New to the Mists
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 06:04:03 PM »
Oh, okay then, I suppose. Thanks guys!

I guess we will have to start carrying a crowbar.

May I ask how a crowbar works? Does it add a roll to the breaking down?

The door has a Strength DC roll of 29.

Badelaire

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2013, 06:05:34 PM »
You could always inquire IG if someone has a key [cough cough]. Never knew it could be forced open though. Crowbars roll a strength check to opening locked doors and containers though there's the risk of breaking the contents of a chest if you critical fail the roll.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:10:38 PM by Badelaire »

APorg

• Dark Power
  • Fanatic Xenophile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2013, 06:34:35 PM »
May I ask how a crowbar works? Does it add a roll to the breaking down?

The door has a Strength DC roll of 29.

A crowbar adds +5 to the check, so a DC of 29 needs at least Str 18 (+4) to break it down. Then you'll be breaking it down on the roll of a 20. Takes time, but happens eventually!
“Moral wounds have this peculiarity - they may be hidden, but they never close; always painful, always ready to bleed when touched, they remain fresh and open in the heart.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

saleiv

• New to the Mists
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2013, 07:04:42 PM »
Awesome.

Thank you, you are great :)

Still though, that was bummer, a hidden away dungeon to make you feel very special, just to be locked in the level under  :lol:

Squeak

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2013, 09:50:42 PM »
You could always inquire IG if someone has a key [cough cough]. Never knew it could be forced open though. Crowbars roll a strength check to opening locked doors and containers though there's the risk of breaking the contents of a chest if you critical fail the roll.

They appear to be talking about the Invdian camp off in the forested clearing with the cave, that has boulders as doors that need to be bashed/crowbar'd.   You're thinking of further in Ghakis mountain I believe mate.

Squeak.

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 12:37:00 AM »
It's the monastery of the contemplative mind.

I'm sure many people will remember Inajira's little visit:

saleiv

• New to the Mists
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 08:50:46 AM »
^--

I seem to be missing a thread here. :D

They appear to be talking about the Invdian camp off in the forested clearing with the cave, that has boulders as doors that need to be bashed/crowbar'd.   You're thinking of further in Ghakis mountain I believe mate.

Squeak.

Ghakis... It is a possibility, yes. The mountains south of Vallaki, south of Dvergeheim.
Yes, definitely Ghakis. Sorry about that :)

So, let me clarify one last time: There is no key, that specific door is meant to be bashed open?

Many places I've seen are locked with a specific key. Figured it is not meant to be opened. (With the exception of some faction lodgings and stuff, which are actually locked with a specific key  :P)

Thanks again guys!

Badelaire

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 11:32:34 AM »
They appear to be talking about the Invdian camp off in the forested clearing with the cave, that has boulders as doors that need to be bashed/crowbar'd.   You're thinking of further in Ghakis mountain I believe mate.

Squeak.

Derp, yeah a reread and I realise that. Well. Now you know of another secret place somewhere up there. >.> Those doors in the Neureni tombs dungeon fall easy to a wildshaped bear druid or umber hulk/tenser'd mage [Nod nod]. I've never known of anyone finding a key, maybe on certain spawns one of the Invidian Captains has it mebbe?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 11:34:17 AM by Badelaire »