Author Topic: Climbable Ropes - Rope Climbing Addition.  (Read 5339 times)

dark_majico

Climbable Ropes - Rope Climbing Addition.
« on: May 09, 2013, 08:26:09 AM »
We have areas of the module that are accessible by ropes, but the ropes are provided by the module and there isn't any chance of failing. I would like to suggest a script being created that relies on the climber having a rope in their inventory in order to climb up or down, and a series of DC's to determine if they can successfully climb the rope or not, also with a chance of failing during the climb, failure causes the character to drop and receive some damage as well as be stunned or knocked unconscious for a short time. Lastly there is a percentage that the rope can snap and be destroyed from inventory, stranding the player unless they have additional ropes. An addition of aa rope climbing skill could be included to work with the DC's, combined with strength base modifiers.

It would add some cool flavor to the environment, it would make the rope items sold in the module useful, and would add some more depth to adventuring and dungeon crawling, as well as included stranded story lines in all of our gaming, and lead to rescue storys for other players to share.

Tyras

• Dark Lord
Re: Climbable Ropes - Rope Climbing Addition.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 11:29:24 AM »
I've found a rope with a grappling hook, and despite not finding a use for it yet I've kept it.  Kinda like a nod to the Boondock Saints...

NSFW (Language)
Spoiler: show
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVs9Tuapoqw[/youtube]

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 11:53:48 AM »
I've found a rope with a grappling hook, and despite not finding a use for it yet I've kept it.  Kinda like a nod to the Boondock Saints...

NSFW (Language)

Seems like a cool but could be abusive idea I suppose... I'm willing to try it and see it cause it also sounds freakin' cool.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 12:54:08 PM »

NSFW (Language)

Seems like a cool but could be abusive idea I suppose... I'm willing to try it and see it cause it also sounds freakin' cool.
I've got rope and a grappling hook, two seperate items, on my thief. I -will- find a use for it, DM plot wise.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

dark_majico

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »

NSFW (Language)

Where do you see the abuse in that?

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 01:45:24 PM »
We're working on a system that uses this stuff, actually. You would only be able to use the grappling hook/rope in certain areas, though.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 02:03:50 PM »

NSFW (Language)

People can climb onto cliffs, shoot mobs and not get hurt by mobs that don't have ranged weapons. Basically, you can kill Ancient direbears with a lot of ammo at level 2 with such a way. Of course fromt he sounds of it Blue has considerded some of these possibilities and that's why it will only be availble in certain areas.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 02:04:46 PM »

NSFW (Language)

People can climb onto cliffs, shoot mobs and not get hurt by mobs that don't have ranged weapons. Basically, you can kill Ancient direbears with a lot of ammo at level 2 with such a way. Of course fromt he sounds of it Blue has considerded some of these possibilities and that's why it will only be availble in certain areas.
 People can do and have done that with campfires....

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
That is exploit abuse and if I catch anyone doing that they'll find themselves with nice fat ban.

Ryltar/ Robert Archer

• The Cult of the Morninglord
  • Dark Power
  • The Chuck Norris of RP -Eraldur
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2013, 02:27:59 PM »

NSFW (Language)

So if people see this why arent they then reporting it? :P

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
...It's also a way to get out of the bugged trans glitch.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2013, 02:51:36 PM »
...It's also a way to get out of the bugged trans glitch.
using it to get out of a bugged transition isn't a problem, using it to easily kill tough monsters that cannot fight back is exploit abuse

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2013, 03:43:45 PM »
I think its a bit iffy all together, because it would make perfect sense for a Caster or Archer to seek higher ground to get the "upper hand".  Id assume though this would only be useable on already walkable surfaces like the layered cliffs and such. If so, this does not leave alot of options, making it unusable in most caves, dungeons and maps that dont have the raised ground. And the places with such dont really seem to have much spawns other then the casual Mink/Deer/Wolves and at night werewolves. But even so these things have to be "with in range" to attack.

If above is all true it does not really seem that exploitable, it could also be made so the rope can not be activated while in "battle" So you cant pull a spawn with you climb up and pick them off slowly.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2013, 04:21:00 PM »
I think you guys are completely misreading the thread. Or else I am.

The idea is to implement a rope climbing system only in those predetermined places where you can actually climb ropes already.
Not to give players a magical rope item with which they can get on random cliffs and abuse the system to bug out hostile mobs.
(So basically all it does it add some randomness to climbing the rope in the bottom of the ML crypts, etc. A few DC checks?)

Unless I'm the one completely misreading and misunderstanding the thread here.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2013, 05:29:34 PM »
What we're working on is a system to use the rope/grappling hook inventory items. They'd be for other than pre-existing transitiions, but still limited to certain specific areas, using waypoints and triggers. You'd know if you can use it or not by a description sent to your character, then you would use the rope/hook's unique power to climb up.

monsinyana

• Dark Power
  • Dead Post Necromancer
    • Battlelords of the Twenty-Third Century®
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2013, 05:36:47 PM »
city of arabel had put in a a few places like that and it was always rather engaging :)

there was ivy you could try climbing to get to secluded area (critical fail could have you lossing HP and at level 1 i actually killed myself that way one time lol)

they had jumping over broken crypt and sewer bridges

swimming through water to get to a destination (like in the tunnels we have here off of ML crypt)

some places you needed the items in inventory.. some times you could try no matter what and certain items gave you bonuses to your roll

medium and heavy armor always effected you greatly.
Loremaster Clydessa G.F. Swift, Toril - Deceased
Sister Anne - Hallowed Witch of Hala, Mordentshire
Frothy! - Devout drunk of Wenta the Alewife, Oerth

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2013, 05:48:30 PM »
Love this. . .

dark_majico

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 03:08:08 AM »
I think you guys are completely misreading the thread. Or else I am.

The idea is to implement a rope climbing system only in those predetermined places where you can actually climb ropes already.
Not to give players a magical rope item with which they can get on random cliffs and abuse the system to bug out hostile mobs.
(So basically all it does it add some randomness to climbing the rope in the bottom of the ML crypts, etc. A few DC checks?)

Unless I'm the one completely misreading and misunderstanding the thread here.

Congratulations, you win a cookie  :cookie:. Yes you are correct actually you might have been the only person who understood what I was saying lulz, That was why I was a bit stumped when someone said that they can see an exploit in this...  :think:

Its cool though that there is a different version of this pending though. One thing though, using a climbable rope to get to an area and NPC cant access isn't always strictly an exploit, not all animals can climb.

Endlessorrow

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 03:46:11 AM »
If you find yourself in a area where it would make sense and be possible to climb. Shout out on the dm chanel. You may get up there.
Current main characters, Fador Flint and Red Mika.

Thoraion

• Undead Master
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 12:22:55 PM »
Suggestion:
make such transitions passable also for characters without a rope within, say, 10 seconds after a character with a rope has activated the transition.

Reason should be obvious.
Currently playing:
no characters, will eventually be back

Characters in stock:
- Darian Eisenhand        - Ansgar "Frettchen" Ostvent
- Thorben Eibenfinder    - Einar Falkensang

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 12:48:16 PM »
It would be great to see a whole new wor- area for climbing in places like Port-a-Lucine. Throwing a rope onto the rooftops of an alley way and climbing up, giving you a great view of the city. Something like out of the Thief series which nickname the rooftops pathways as "Thieves Highway".

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2013, 12:57:22 PM »
Sadly i don't think we have a tileset for such. :/

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2013, 04:15:24 PM »
It would be great to see a whole new wor- area for climbing in places like Port-a-Lucine. Throwing a rope onto the rooftops of an alley way and climbing up, giving you a great view of the city. Something like out of the Thief series which nickname the rooftops pathways as "Thieves Highway".
That's not really possible in the NWN engine, unfortunately

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »
Not exactly, yeah, I know. It'd require a seperate, not already made tileset that's NWN city but only has the rooftops walkable.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2013, 05:10:03 PM »
Not exactly, yeah, I know. It'd require a seperate, not already made tileset that's NWN city but only has the rooftops walkable.
It would also require twice as many areas that only a few people could use at a given time. Not very practical.