You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Languages & PoTM  (Read 25213 times)

Elfric

• Dark Power
Re: Languages & PoTM
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »
The silhouettes. Are those Star Wars blasters, and Leia? WTF is going on in Port these days!?!

A Star Wars convention.

Ok so who's who? Are you Han Solo? Is Bernard the Emperor, and Magnus Darth Vader? This writes itself.
All of the above is correct!

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »
...more fun to just use a common language but twist words and their meanings around... :twisted:
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2013, 12:30:11 AM »

like saying one thing but meaning your mother?

...gods that fruedian slip thing never gets old
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2013, 12:36:28 AM »
:arrow: Starting languages = Common + one racial language + bonus languages (additional number of languages is equal to your starting Intelligence modifier. Make this one believable as it is rare for a level 2 to know Abyssal/Draconic/more obscure languages)

Though there's also the regional language in settings such as FR (so a halfling in Cormyr probably speaks Chondathan, Common and Halfling) and with some Ravenloft domains, the Gazetteers mention that many denizens speak two languages. :think:

Well, that aside:  :thumbup: I generally as well tend to always follow the 1 int modifier for every extra language and at character creation only pick languages that make absolute sense. Also I do try to avoid learning Balok even if there was an extra language slot, as I feel it is often better for RP to not speak it. My Mordentish toon was an exception, but then, he was also an Ezrite. And they speak Balok in Borca. :P

ThePwush

• Sigilian Outlander
  • Dark Power
  • The mad Red Mink, eh, I mean, Monk ;)
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2013, 12:43:42 AM »

like saying one thing but meaning your mother?

...gods that fruedian slip thing never gets old

When it's intentional, it isn't a Freudian slip. Hehehehe.  :P
The "Anti-Monk". Crazy is your friend.

Rhetra'Bushion aka Rhetra, Sunshine, Petal, Spazz, "Damn, she's fast," and Her Giddiness.

-Semi-Retired-

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »
The entire purpose of this thread is to merely discuss the basis for languages and racial concepts, that being said, to prevent 'Cheesing' in RP.
 Please dont derail the thread with unrelated posts or remarks about someones signature or some other random idea, its just a courtesy thing for forums.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2013, 07:01:51 PM »
The important part is to avoid cheesing.

I believe the principle for languages is:

:arrow: Starting languages = Common + one racial language + bonus languages (additional number of languages is equal to your starting Intelligence modifier. Make this one believable as it is rare for a level 2 to know Abyssal/Draconic/more obscure languages)
 :arrow: Capacity for learning additional languages = Intelligence modifier - already learned bonus languages

One should roleplay learning a language land make the process believable.
Ravenloft characters get their domain's primary language(s) for free as well.

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Loki's Cat

• New to the Mists
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2013, 04:12:29 AM »

:arrow: Capacity for learning additional languages = Intelligence modifier - already learned bonus languages

Ravenloft characters get their domain's primary language(s) for free as well.

Would not people from Waterdeep (for example) get Chondathan free as-well since its the language of that region? I'd always considered at-least one regional language as free on any character, not just Ravenloft natives.

Exordium

• Developers
  • Dark Power
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2013, 06:41:19 AM »
Would not people from Waterdeep (for example) get Chondathan free as-well since its the language of that region? I'd always considered at-least one regional language as free on any character, not just Ravenloft natives.

Yes. ..As would 75% of our FR PCs, as vast majority comes from those regions where Chondathan is spoken. :P

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2013, 07:26:17 PM »
Need to ask about Abber Nomads and their language.

I read about it (they never gave it a name so I just call it "Abber Nomadic")

The language of the Abber nomads is absolutely unique; no scholar has ever been able to liken it to any tongue spoken by any other race in any known land.

Is this to say, that someone cannot learn Abber Nomadic?

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2013, 05:45:54 PM »

The language of the Abber nomads is absolutely unique; no scholar has ever been able to liken it to any tongue spoken by any other race in any known land.

YOU ARE CORRECT SIR! ...Without being a Abber Nomad.

"You left the campfire back in the field. The entire grass field is on fire. Smokey the Bear is on the edge of the field, on his knees, sobbing into his hands."

Snowflame

• Prince of all Saiyans
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2013, 05:47:49 PM »

That's... frickin' sweet.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2013, 05:49:05 PM »

That's... frickin' sweet.
What do you expect from a puzzling society in the shadow lands? It'd be more cheese then a Hazlan native speaking Lamordian!

VeeTpl

• giff RP pls
  • Undead Master
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »
Just a question here since it's relevant.

Anything in the setting inspired by Poland? Anything based on Polish?
Player of:
Yuliya Vorius

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2013, 09:46:10 PM »
   * Akiri (Har’akir) – Egyptian
    * Avergnite (Staunton Bluffs) – Probably English
    * Balok – Romanian
    * Darkonese – Latin
    * Dwarven – Norse
    * Elven – Welsh
    * Falkovnian – German
    * Forfarian (Forlorn) – Gaelic (Scottish)
    * Gnomish – Greek/ Latin
    * Heldannic (Graben Island, Nocturnal Sea) – Nordic
    * Lamordian – Plautdietsch
    * Luktar – Hungarian
    * Mordentish, High – French
    * Mordentish, Low – Anglo-Saxon
    * Patterna – any and all
    * Pazarian – Arabic
    * Rajian (Sri Raji) – Hindi
    * Souragnien - Cajun
    * Tepestani (Tepest) – Gaelic (Irish)
    * Vaasi – Nowegian/ Danish
    * Vos (Vorostokov) – Russian

Closes you get to Poland is Falkovia, and Vorostokov. The dark lord of Vos is basically a Cossack.

UilliamNebel

• Undead Master
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2013, 09:53:03 PM »
Thought Invidia was based on the Poles of the late 1400s?

Geiger

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2013, 10:09:22 PM »
They're basically that - but they kind of have a vibe about the Spanish for some reason here.

Balok regardless of country is generic slavic/romanian romance/balkans.

Kendaric

• Undead Master
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2013, 04:55:44 PM »

The problem is that it makes learning another language next to impossible unlike PnP where the "Speak language" skill exists. For most characters that is probably not an issue, but some characters have to spend their bonus slot on learning common (e.g. Gothic earthers or characters from non-standard settings where no common tongue exists (Middle-Earth, Warhammer) ). Being in that situation, I have thus far refrained from learning either Balok or High Mordentish, even though either language would be of interest, even at a rather basic level.
I think if learning a language is actually RP'd over a course of time, it shouldn't be limited to the INT bonus as long as one doesn't claim to be able to hold philosophical debates. A basic level of communication should be achievable however.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
it shouldn't be limited to the INT bonus as long as one doesn't claim to be able to hold philosophical debates.

....Debates are the bread n' butter of forums. Also the Addar langague is undocumented, so for it to be unlearn able by everyone except it's people is fair. I mean it's not like you commonly see them outside the Shadow lands, and how often does your character visit them?

Sorrow00

• Outlander
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2013, 05:21:05 PM »
Pretty much comes down to Players needing to seek teachers for the various languages, Balok, Elven, Hin, Dwarven, or gnomish.
Id rather not see a player that rps his character as only holding conversation with his hin friends, or his elven friends, blah blah blah, you get the picture, and then say they know and speak Balok or some other language. I think its very cheesy and it breaks immersion of the setting, racial basis, and nationality.

I will point out again, that it is highly unlikely that Barovians wont teach their language or anything else to a nonbarovian, unless they absolutely like the person, which is again unlikely, youd need to find a teacher that is willing, with a few years of practice, or youre just a stupidly insane smart person, but then itd pretty much take almost the same amount of time and a Teacher.

This also goes in hand with the other languages i mentioned, not just Balok.

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2013, 05:33:54 PM »
Pretty much comes down to Players needing to seek teachers for the various languages, Balok, Elven, Hin, Dwarven, or gnomish.
Id rather not see a player that rps his character as only holding conversation with his hin friends, or his elven friends, blah blah blah, you get the picture, and then say they know and speak Balok or some other language. I think its very cheesy and it breaks immersion of the setting, racial basis, and nationality.

So no one can pretend to not understand a language?

I will point out again, that it is highly unlikely that Barovians wont teach their language or anything else to a nonbarovian, unless they absolutely like the person, which is again unlikely, youd need to find a teacher that is willing, with a few years of practice, or youre just a stupidly insane smart person, but then itd pretty much take almost the same amount of time and a Teacher.

This also goes in hand with the other languages i mentioned, not just Balok.

Problem with that is what I highlighted. Barvoians. However it is the main language of Invida, G'henna, and Borca. and Borcans could easily find a reason to teach that. Not to mention you have Richemulot, Kartakass, Hazaln, Sithicus, and Verbek who would be willing to teach languages.

Not everyone is like the barovians.

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2013, 05:40:15 PM »
However it is the main language of Invida, G'henna, and Borca. and Borcans could easily find a reason to teach that. Not to mention you have Richemulot, Kartakass, Hazaln, Sithicus, and Verbek who would be willing to teach languages.

Not everyone is like the barovians.

Hazaln, Sithicus, and Verbrek wouldn't be on the friendly side for strangers to ask em.  Verbrek would laugh at you for wanting to learn from them. Plus you've got to remember that while they do speak it in that country, not everyone knows all of the languages in a domain despite hailing from it.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2013, 06:51:20 PM »
    * Akiri (Har’akir) – Egyptian
    * Avergnite (Staunton Bluffs) – Probably English
    * Balok – Romanian
    * Darkonese – Latin
    * Dwarven – Norse
    * Elven – Welsh
    * Falkovnian – German
    * Forfarian (Forlorn) – Gaelic (Scottish)
    * Gnomish – Greek/ Latin
    * Heldannic (Graben Island, Nocturnal Sea) – Nordic
    * Lamordian – Plautdietsch
    * Luktar – Hungarian
    * Mordentish, High – French
    * Mordentish, Low – Anglo-Saxon
    * Patterna – any and all
    * Pazarian – Arabic
    * Rajian (Sri Raji) – Hindi
    * Souragnien - Cajun
    * Tepestani (Tepest) – Gaelic (Irish)
    * Vaasi – Nowegian/ Danish
    * Vos (Vorostokov) – Russian

Closes you get to Poland is Falkovia, and Vorostokov. The dark lord of Vos is basically a Cossack.
Thought Invidia was based on the Poles of the late 1400s?
They're basically that - but they kind of have a vibe about the Spanish for some reason here.

Balok regardless of country is generic slavic/romanian romance/balkans.
Er no. Invidia is inspired by Italy (this has been stated by the people who wrote the published books), as is Borca. We gave Invidia more of a Spanish flair to differentiate it more from Borca.

Vorostokov is inspired by Russia. Falkovnia is primarily based on Germany, although the darklord/ruler is basically Vlad the Impaler.

The closest to Poland would be Nova Vaasa, although their language is nothing like Polish.

Bluebomber4evr

• Administrator
  • Dark Power
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »

Correct, although calling it "Abber Nomadic" sounds almost as stupid as "Morninglordian" Just call the language "Abber" instead. :P

Elfric

• Dark Power
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2013, 07:01:03 PM »
Well the entire Shadow Lands just seem silly, if you ask me.  :roll: