Author Topic: Calibans, a dying breed?  (Read 44177 times)

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
Re: Calibans, a dying breed?
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »
 To my knowledge there are only two or maybe three active tieflings. Yet I haven't been in the drain with my pcs alot lately.

We had four in the Drain at once last night, as opposed to two caliban. And it has generally been a 1:1 or 2:1 ratio lately.
To clarify though, I don't have anything against tieflings. There's some decent RPers behind them and they're nice to have around.
I'm just saying that the whole banning of phenotypes hasn't resolved any issue, it simply shifted the problem and playerbase a little.

These tiefling RPers look and act identical to the demonic looking caliban we used to have, but under a different racial nametag.
So the only change is that caliban RP is now restricted to extreme portrayals only, which I thought was what they tried to prevent.

Jaram el Kaspartul resents that!

Nox

• Dark Lord
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
Half Orc w/ the old body Phenotype looks like a hunchback FYI.  You can't use robes and cloaks though which is a bummer.
Characters:

Prospo Ivernu
Nicolea Bratu

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2013, 09:53:51 AM »

I don't think I'm following. And are you Jaram el Kaspartul?

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:38 AM »

Yarp.  And he doesn't look anything like a demonic anything, heh.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #229 on: May 16, 2013, 10:03:15 AM »

Yarp.  And he doesn't look anything like a demonic anything, heh.

I was just refering to the more extreme appearances. Tails, butterfly wings, horns, glowing eyes, animal heads.
The reason they put down the banhammer was because of that, right? You couldn't tell caliban and tiefling apart.

What they should've done, in my opinion, is deny caliban those extreme physical alterations and tell them to roll a tiefling.
But without restricting the phenotypes as well. Now caliban RP is being resticted, while snowflakes remain untouched.

And if caliban are a dying breed, do we get to go on the extinct species list? Let's race those white rhinoceros and tigers for their spot.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:57:59 AM by Feronius »

ethinos

• Keepin' it hardcore since 2nd edition AD&D
  • Dark Power
  • When in doubt, fireball.
« Reply #230 on: May 16, 2013, 01:07:38 PM »
If we want things to change regarding the caliban, then we need to get folks to RP effectively enough to change that outward appearance and behavior. Lead by example. I think with the end of the spring semester and coming of summer, more caliban players should be coming out of the woodworks. I know I will be soon, and Iconoclast is a teacher that has more time during summer months too.
Torgan Ironshield: Battlerager and smith
Wirth Darmington II: Roguish noble
Kurgh: A simple herdsman

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #231 on: May 16, 2013, 03:22:34 PM »
Oh yeah, I am actually RPing my caliban quite a bit and helping to get things moving down in the sewers.
I'm not only spamming threads with my personal opinion, I also actually try to portray them right myself.

Legion XXI

• Fraternity of Shadows
  • Dark Power
  • Domn Clancy
« Reply #232 on: May 16, 2013, 03:56:50 PM »
   Yeah, it's seeming like all 3 off the current "Caliban" focus threads are cooling off/degrading into chat right now, which is for the best.  More people are spending time in game and RPing with each other in the Drain, and activity was pretty high-traffic last night.  Things will come together nicely, we just need to give it a bit of time and put in the work to make it what we want it to be.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #233 on: May 16, 2013, 04:46:41 PM »
If you want crazy deformities on a human/elf, you could always go DP fishing.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #234 on: May 16, 2013, 04:56:01 PM »

You can acquire "minor" changes via curses. Or just mild feature deformities your born with outside the ravenloft setting. Though i dont think anything drastic like the legs, horns or such would be allowed. But Eyes, teeth, ears, fingers, nails, are allowed i believe.

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #235 on: May 16, 2013, 05:11:27 PM »

You can acquire "minor" changes via curses. Or just mild feature deformities your born with outside the ravenloft setting. Though i dont think anything drastic like the legs, horns or such would be allowed. But Eyes, teeth, ears, fingers, nails, are allowed i believe.

Oh, that works too. Go petition for DM Seraphim to return, and then go piss off the Fraternity of Shadows. That'll get you a snowflake curse.

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #236 on: May 16, 2013, 06:09:19 PM »
Oh, that works too. Go petition for DM Seraphim to return, and then go piss off the Fraternity of Shadows. That'll get you a snowflake curse.

Pardon me, but I didn't feel like going through the entire thread to check if I missed a post.
 ...but did I miss a post or? Who is requesting a snowflake character with wings and what not?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:16:18 PM by Feronius »

Norture

• Still noobin' it up.
  • Dark Power
  • ???
« Reply #237 on: May 16, 2013, 06:18:49 PM »
Haha that was me snarking myself this time. I was the special snowflake, ended up having a character have his memory broken and turned into a snake. Yes, a snake. Ssssss.

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #238 on: May 16, 2013, 06:42:09 PM »
Fun fun XD

Nox

• Dark Lord
« Reply #239 on: May 26, 2013, 12:27:12 PM »
Drain Faction is officially OPEN for recruitment.  A few have already been brought in already.  If you have a character your interested in joining, PM DM Stygian Witch or Me to arrange a time in game to meet up and speak with the boss about potential recruitment.  Otherwise you can try and find us if you send a message through the DM channel IG.
Characters:

Prospo Ivernu
Nicolea Bratu

Gilad Abrams

• Undead Master
« Reply #240 on: May 26, 2013, 08:55:07 PM »
Have a char that is part of the blackleaf. NAme is grog dragonskin. Sign me up for the drain faction.

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #241 on: May 26, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »
Have a char that is part of the blackleaf. NAme is grog dragonskin. Sign me up for the drain faction.

SHAME ON YOU!
Jeune Bérurier!

Iconoclast

• Church of the Lawgiver
  • Dark Power
« Reply #242 on: May 26, 2013, 09:14:09 PM »

He's not talking about the Drain faction, but the general drain forum.  :mrgreen:

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #243 on: May 26, 2013, 09:15:36 PM »

He's not talking about the Drain faction, but the general drain forum.  :mrgreen:

Need to get into the Drain forum myself.  Jaram el Kaspartul and Igor

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #244 on: May 26, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »
There is no Drain forum, but I assume you are referring to the Underworld subforums?
Those are mostly Drain related, but are meant to be used for Underworld RP in general.

Your best bet is to send a PM to DM Noxious or DM Stygian Witch, although any DM would work.

Nox

• Dark Lord
« Reply #245 on: May 26, 2013, 10:04:24 PM »
There is no Drain forum, but I assume you are referring to the Underworld subforums?
Those are mostly Drain related, but are meant to be used for Underworld RP in general.

Your best bet is to send a PM to DM Noxious or DM Stygian Witch, although any DM would work.

Indeed, the underworld subforums are general enough to cover gossip for anyone who calls the Drains home but isn't a member of the actual faction (working for Resker). That's the faction I'm referring to and the "Sewer Dwellers" forums are currently being used by us for that purpose. 
Characters:

Prospo Ivernu
Nicolea Bratu

LordRottenCorpse

• Undead Slayer
« Reply #246 on: May 27, 2013, 12:50:06 AM »
ohhh , then I will enjoy to join that forum ! Im part of the Black leaf aswell
Jeune Bérurier!

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #247 on: May 27, 2013, 04:16:05 AM »
Indeed, the underworld subforums are general enough to cover gossip for anyone who calls the Drains home but isn't a member of the actual faction (working for Resker). That's the faction I'm referring to and the "Sewer Dwellers" forums are currently being used by us for that purpose. 

Yes, that, but I also meant it has been used by factions such as the Red Vardo in the past.
As far as I know it doesn't exclusively deal with just the Drain related Underworld business.

Nox

• Dark Lord
« Reply #248 on: May 27, 2013, 05:17:06 AM »
Correct.
Characters:

Prospo Ivernu
Nicolea Bratu

Feronius

• Dark Power
« Reply #249 on: June 01, 2013, 04:23:05 PM »
Random, but if you want a good reference for portraying a caliban brute, watch the movie Jack the Giant Slayer.

It may sound odd, but the giants in it act more or less how I expect a caliban brute to respond to situations.
They're not very bright, but they're far from retarded, although definitely primitive and a bit simple minded.
(Physically they also represent a caliban quite well with their deformations, if you were to scale them down.)