Author Topic: Alchemical Additions  (Read 3071 times)

Dusk

• Finder of Lost Children
  • Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
Alchemical Additions
« on: May 06, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »
I'm going to start out by complaining.  =.=

There has been a clear focus to shift higher levels to explore more outside of the Vallaki area, but as it stands, a certain dungeon near Vallaki remains, hands down, the best place for higher level alchemists to farm. Recent additions of new fire reagents have helped, and I believe I read sometime ago that creatures were being reviewed to add alchemical reagents, so progress is and has certainly been made. Yet, there are a few areas of improvement I see as being ripe for new additions of, namely, magical reagents. So, here's the constructive bit of this post-- suggestions.

New Reagents

Lesser Guardian of Anubis Heart
Found on: Disciples/Acolytes of Anubis
Yield: One Glowing Magical Essence per heart

Phylactery Gem
Found on: Vassalich
Yield: One Radiant Magical Essence per two gems

Heart of the Aspect
Found on: Aspect of Chevorgov (I misspelled that. The green, glowing fiend under Lysaga Hill)
Yield: One Radiant Magical Essence per heart

Massive/Elder Ooze Glob
Found on: Massive or Elder Oozes, respectively
Yield: One Concentrated Acidic Essence per massive glob, two per elder glob

Suggested Changes

In order to further encourage alchemists to look outside of the Vallaki area for Radiant Essences, I suggest two changes in the current system:

• Reduce Zombie Golem spawn in Alhoon Lair to one or two golems
  • Make Guardians of Anubis appear on lower spawns in the Temple of Anubis

Radiant Essences are, by right, difficult to obtain. As it stands, however, their difficulty lies in the wrong place, IMO. My hope is that these changes, along with the other suggested reagents, will encourage alchemists to look in new places for their work.

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
Re: Alchemical Additions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »
Electrical varnishes, please!

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 11:42:09 AM »
Hmm, what of giving use to level 18-20 bosses some use to such? Such as the ice queen, have her drop material for "epic" level varnishes should anyone actually be able to kill her. One of the things i liked about the herbalist system was that the Elixer of life is so rarely seen because its herb is so hard to find. specially in bulk as well.

HellsPanda

• Dark Power
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 11:44:38 AM »
There was a time when Radient reagents where far to common, just remember to be carefull... magical varnishes are by far the most usefull and flexible of the varnishes and should be the rarest

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 11:48:24 AM »
There was a time when Radient reagents where far to common, just remember to be carefull... magical varnishes are by far the most usefull and flexible of the varnishes and should be the rarest

I agree with this and don't hope to change it, only to relocate the source for so many of these varnishes to higher level areas away from Vallaki.

YouLitABonfire

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 01:33:48 PM »
Oui, I need more Reagents for my Alchrémi s'il vous plaît

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 04:31:08 PM »
More options would be nice

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 04:38:46 PM »
Divine and Electrical Varnishes should be added, in my opinion, since we have negative already, along with the other types.  Why not get electric components from golems?  I'm unsure where one can get divine components to make divine varnish, but it'd be nice to have it.  Maybe one can bring negative varnishes to an NPC and for a small cost can "purify" them?

Edit: Components for electric varnishes can come from Air Elementals, perhaps?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 05:48:07 PM by Paragonville »

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 05:50:40 PM »
Electrical varnishes already exist, simply resources for them are scarce.

Geiger

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 06:00:15 PM »
In general I think alchemy doesn't have enough resources. there's actually too much of the middling and good stuff.. and not enough "low stuff". Do you know how hard it is to get fire varnishes?

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 06:08:04 PM »
In general I think alchemy doesn't have enough resources. there's actually too much of the middling and good stuff.. and not enough "low stuff". Do you know how hard it is to get fire varnishes?

Or electrical!

Widowmaker

• New to the Mists
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2013, 11:54:49 PM »
 I'm unsure where one can get divine components to make divine varnish, but it'd be nice to have it.  

Have a reagent for divine varnishes drop along with a PC corpse for Paladins.  that would give the bad guys more cause to hunt them :)

Amon-Si

• Inventor of the cat
  • Dark Power
  • Freelance troublemaker
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 12:06:56 AM »
 I'm unsure where one can get divine components to make divine varnish, but it'd be nice to have it.  

Have a reagent for divine varnishes drop along with a PC corpse for Paladins.  that would give the bad guys more cause to hunt them :)

Inciting PvP = Bad

respawnaholic

• Dark Lord
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »

That paladin ghost in the monastery south of Vallaki could drop one. A few divine essences would be nice. Part of the reason negative ones are so popular is they work on everything but the undead. Positive ones would be even better.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 02:51:09 PM »
Like I've said in the other crafting threads, I will be going through all of the creatures in the palette to add crafting ingredients, that includes alchemy reagents. :)

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 03:05:50 PM »
Like I've said in the other crafting threads, I will be going through all of the creatures in the palette to add crafting ingredients, that includes alchemy reagents. :)

Thought I remembered as much! I look forward to their arrival. Still, IMHO, Zombie Golem spawn should be reduced in the Alhoon Lair to encourage players to look elsewhere for radiant magical reagents. As it stands, up to four may spawn there, and unless the spawn strength is nearing its minimum, there's often still two to be found.

RedwizardD

• Scrollord
  • Dark Power
  • Avoid Attention - Critical Failure
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 03:11:47 PM »
You need three of those to make an essence.

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 03:21:28 PM »
You need three of those to make an essence.

Yes, or three of the Anubis Hearts. Given only two Guardians spawn around max spawn in the Anubis Temple, and that I've yet to see more than two zombie golems in any dungeon aside from the Alhoon Lair, players need to travel to multiple dungeons to gather the proper reagents, or hit the same one after enough time has gone by, with the exception of two places: Alhoon Lair and Perfidus. Bit of a difficulty gap there, but there may well be another dungeon where it's possible to gather enough reagents to make a radiant essence in one run that I don't know about.

Bluebomber4evr

• Head DM, Developer and Ravenloft Trivia Guru/Community Council
  • Administrator
  • Dark Power
    • http://www.nwnravenloft.com
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 04:11:40 PM »
I can't guarantee I'll new reagents, but I will add reagents to creatures that don't currently drop any but should drop them (for example, salamanders and fire essences).

Bluebomber4evr: The Justice, not you, since 2002

Dusk

• Dark Power
  • Enjoys Port-a-Lucine
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2013, 04:21:41 PM »
That would be a very welcomed variety too.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2013, 08:12:22 PM »
Do the Borrow variety of Wights have the same sort of tongue as normal run o the mill wights? If so, you can add them to creatures not dropping their reagent.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.