You have been taken by the Mists

Author Topic: Har'akir - Over kill?  (Read 2708 times)

Miuo

• Discord: Miuo
  • Dark Power
Har'akir - Over kill?
« on: May 05, 2013, 04:44:43 PM »
Happened to be exploring and while i fully expected fire dmg when getting to close to "The Wall of Heat" that are all about the desert i did not expect, Fire/Divine/Magical dmg when getting to close, is it not a bit over kill to add the extra dmg, specially when ones wear several pieces of armor to prevent the deserts harmful heat effects O..o?

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
Re: Har'akir - Over kill?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 04:47:26 PM »
the wall of ra is like the domains boarders where the rest was closesd off

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »
The effect took place also while not even in the wall, i had walked into a open and place where there was no heat effect stuff yet still seemed to get slapped with it. Seems a bit missleading and unfair to add a "opening" and a area without the visual effect only to slam someone with it :/

The red lines show my movements, the black dot the corpse of a NPC we picked up. yet even staying in the "safe" zone, or what one would assume is such we started receiving upwards of 25 -30 divine dmg along with fire dmg, even trying to get to the middle of the little area seemed useless as the dmg did not stop at all. :/

Paragonville

• Demiplane Escapee
  • Dark Power
  • actly ezlin
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 04:59:59 PM »
There's wherever the ground is excessively bright.

UilliamNebel

• Undead Master
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:13:43 PM »
Then why are there placebles there with items to interact with? If it is poison carrot, well, I guess fine.... I mean if that is really what it is.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 05:18:12 PM by UilliamNebel »

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
Indeed, seems a bit cheap to give a blanket effect to a area, and then say. "Well there was a glow there so its dangerous". . .from a mechanical point of view that glow could of been the collective  outcome of the heat wave placebles there rather then then a intended effect. And because it isnt a small little area between the effects but a large enough area to safely move with in, with the parted barrier acting as the look of a "entrance" seems very miss leading :/

Shadowthrone

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »
I think it's pretty obvious as it is that that area is dangerous.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »
It seems more a issue of poor design, rather then "the area is dangerous:, adding one more heat wave to bridge the gap or 2-3 more in the middle would of avoided the illusion it was designed that way to allow people to reach the small ruins with loot, or the NPC corpse (not sure if the corpse was intended to be there or a npc who ran for some reason and died there).

We took ample caution, potions of elemental protection, gear with saves and protection vs fire, and even testing the barrier to see if it was something manageable before attempting to pass the opening to retrieve the corpse on the other side of the barrier.

Even if our deaths of dismissed as "should of known better", may be worth it to bridge the gap and add  some more heat waves to the open area to better represent its actual danger.

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2013, 05:35:44 PM »
Area: har'akir - northern desert - northern reaches

Map:

Lucadia

• Dark Power
  • Feral Mystic
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:10:14 PM »
theres actualy a emote in the chat bar that says  a wave of shimmer light, intense heat , something like that.

dutchy

• Dark Power
  • Potm's own forum troll
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 06:38:04 PM »
also do you not wonder what killed the body/person that lays there?

when i see something dead i get cautious.
Tagdar Stonebeard- the lone statue
Mihas Mandruleanu- He is the law
Gurdan- priest of the allfather, and current head of the silverhand trading company

• Dark Power
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 06:39:39 PM »
also do you not wonder what killed the body/person that lays there?

when i see something dead i get cautious.

Undead wander in that area all the time...Its like watching  someone pour gas on them selves and explode LOL.

“In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight
Let those who worship evil’s might,
Beware my power… Green Lantern’s light!”

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 07:05:40 PM »
The npc was standing in the actual heat wave but was closer to the other side, hence why we chose to go threw the opening to the other side to get them rather then walk threw the heat wave our selves.

And knowing NPCs they don't tend to actually see danger and will often (rather stupidly) run right into traps, dangers or even try to attack monsters that can one shot them. . This is of course to imply the NPC was not supposed to be there it did have a head on it which was labeled "Akiri Slave Head" or some such, which i think may be for a quest?

As for the message, yes we received such when we tested the heat wave, but i did not receive it right away when entering the small opening, however this could of been because of lag, Nev said he froze up some when  trying to get my body and got burned to death while he pulled me out.

Juice

• Totally banged the
  • Dark Lord
  • Lawful Good Does Not Mean Lawful Nice.
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 09:14:37 PM »
If you feel an immence heat stronger than the current heat being delt to you by the akrian sun maybe dont walk into the bright heavy heat area that is bright as day even at night.

Common scence yo

Solomon Burke - Knight of the Dawn
Vasile Mikovich - Tigan Straight Outa Vallaki
Straven Crowe -  Hes somewhere around here.....

herkles

• Society of the Erudite
  • Dark Power
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »
my only issue with the Wall of Ra is that it should not go all the way around. The Eastern side borders the domain of Sebua which is then bordered by the domain of pharizia. The nomads in Pharizia trade with the Akiri. But how the wall of ra is now with it being all the way around how do the nomads trade with the Akiri?

Miuo

• Dark Power
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 11:10:41 PM »
If you feel an immence heat stronger than the current heat being delt to you by the akrian sun maybe dont walk into the bright heavy heat area that is bright as day even at night.

Common scence yo

At first there was no pop up text when i entered the space between the two heat waves. But this was perhaps because of lag. If i had seen such  even while in the empty space id not of gone further into it XD

KoopaFanatic

• Iä! Iä! Puckwolf fhtagn!
  • Dark Lord
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 12:01:57 AM »
Looking at the screenshots, it seems that the heat distortion placeable is only on the flat tiles, and not on any of the sloped ones.  Is it possible that the area designer placed the heat distortion there as well, but it's somehow incompatible with higher-elevation or sloped terrain and therefore doesn't display?  It could be an oversight or technical limitation rather than a bait-and-kill.

Crimson Shuriken

• Happy Shoulders
  • Dark Power
  • Flying through the air with deadly intent!
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 03:23:06 AM »
my only issue with the Wall of Ra is that it should not go all the way around. The Eastern side borders the domain of Sebua which is then bordered by the domain of pharizia. The nomads in Pharizia trade with the Akiri. But how the wall of ra is now with it being all the way around how do the nomads trade with the Akiri?
Not true actually, it depends which orientation of the Har Akir map the team used to make the domain.
Based on the way it appears in our server, I assume that Sebua would lie on the other side of the cliff facades, which I am pretty sure was one of the official outlays of the domain in at least one source.

I'm so casual, my shoes look like feet.

Cursed Ink

• Dark Lord
  • 1# Highest Bounty Winner
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 05:32:07 AM »
Looking at the screenshots, it seems that the heat distortion placeable is only on the flat tiles, and not on any of the sloped ones.  Is it possible that the area designer placed the heat distortion there as well, but it's somehow incompatible with higher-elevation or sloped terrain and therefore doesn't display?  It could be an oversight or technical limitation rather than a bait-and-kill.

More then likely, ive found those half rises to screw with other things in the tileset, regardless theres more then enough warning to stay away from the giant glowing wall of firey divine god death killing, and yes, you can survive for alittle while in there if youre built for it. (I believe)